MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ruined my module?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Ruined my module?
soulmender
Hi,

I’ve been doing a big cleanup on my system and when I was putting everything back I accidentally plugged in the Doepfer Wasp FIlter (that has no indication of where the red line should be) the other way around and upon turning the system on there was a click and fume smell.

The module does not work anymore. Is it possible to somehow fix it or is it just trash now?

I bought it second hand so no replacements are available.

Cheers.
mckenic
IIRC - it could be one of the socketed chips took the brunt. Perhaps pull the module and look at the back (post a pic?). There should be obvious signs on one of the chips. They are relatively inexpensive to replace from somewhere like Mouser/Farnell. You just pull the damaged chip out of the socket and replace it with the correct one you ordered.

HTH
cptnal
More info here

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=202513&highlight=

The Wasp is notorious, but worth it. Dead Banana
mckenic
Normally yes - but this is a reverse power situation not the usual Wasp-explody thing.
ersatzplanet
mckenic wrote:
IIRC - it could be one of the socketed chips took the brunt. Perhaps pull the module and look at the back (post a pic?). There should be obvious signs on one of the chips. They are relatively inexpensive to replace from somewhere like Mouser/Farnell. You just pull the damaged chip out of the socket and replace it with the correct one you ordered.

HTH

IC's are the main things to die with reversed power. Transistors are pretty tolorant to voltage problems. Like mckenic says, Doepfer sockets all their ICs, it would be pretty easy to just replace them one at a time till it works. Defer seldom uses exotic chips so it should be easy to find replacements. it will ALWAYS be cheaper than replacing the module.
cptnal
I love that the Wasp-explody thing is a thing. hihi

(Not that it's a thing, that there's a word for the thing.)
mckenic
cptnal wrote:
Wasp-explody hihi

Lol! lol

Going to jinx it now but thankfully I have never had it happen to the two S.E. I have now or my original (1st module I ever bought) back in 2009.
sduck
So now I want a wasp filter so I can be living on the edge like you cool guys. Didn't know what I was missing!
Parnelli
Been livin' on the Wasp edge for a year and a half now, it's been rather boring for me....

Thankfully!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1