MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ableton + Drum Modules + Octatrack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Ableton + Drum Modules + Octatrack
Carmelo_P82
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking about my drums set up for months and I'm ready to build it.
I did look on the forums to check exactly how to proceed with what I need but as I'm still a new in this beautiful modular world. I just need your answer to see if my idea is possible. It's quite a lot of money and I don't want to do a mistake or waste my time.

I would lile to create my drums thanks to the following modules :

Jomox Modbase 09
Tip top Hat 909
Tip top CP 909
Erica Pico Drums

I would like to sequence it with :

Beatstep Pro or Eloquencer or Upcoming Erica Synth Sequencer (love it)

But for now, here is my set up :

Midi Interface MOTU 5x5 connected by USB to my laptop
Audio Interface Tascam US 20x20 connected by USB to my laptop
DAW : Ableton as the master

MIDI Connection

Midi Out de ma MOTU dans le Midi IN de l'Octatrack
Midi Out de mon Octatrack vers le Midi IN d'une Quadra Thru Box :

Midi Out 1 of Quadra Thru Box to Roland SH-01A
Midi Out 2 of Quadra Thru Box to Roland TB-03
Midi Out 3 of Quadra Thru Box to Roland Digitone
Midi Out 4 of Quadra Thru Box to Roland Model D
Midi Thru Out of Digitone to my modular rack

Everything is in sync and I'm happy with it. But here are my questions :

Is it possible to sequence the drums with my Beatstep Pro (or an in rack sequencer) while I'll sequence the sounds with the Octatrack and both sharing the same clock as Ableton (I think so but I wanted to be sure).

I know there are a ton of possibilities but I would like to get experience or advice before I jump nanners

Thank you for your time !
C.
wavedepletion
Carmelo_P82 wrote:
Is it possible to sequence the drums with my Beatstep Pro (or an in rack sequencer) while I'll sequence the sounds with the Octatrack and both sharing the same clock as Ableton (I think so but I wanted to be sure)

Yes I think this should be possible. I have done essentially this except with a Keystep, by going from my Keystep Midi Out to the Midi In on the Octatrack, then splitting out Midi from the OT into a Quadra Thru and out to other instruments (Korg Volcas and MI Yarns in 4 channel mode), sequencing some Midi channels direct from the OT and others from the Keystep. You should be able to supply a clock from Ableton into the Beatstep and have the start/stop/tempo signals sent to all instruments downstream.

It took a little experimenting to get all Midi settings correct on the Octatrack, but then it works fine. You may also want to download the Arturia Midi Control Center app in case you need to adjust Midi behaviour settings on the Beatstep.
Carmelo_P82
Sounds good. That's why I'm wondering if it's better to get a sequencer such as the Eloquencer or the upcoming Erica Synth smile
wavedepletion
You'll want both probably, depending on what kind of music you want to make. I love the Octatrack for sequencing a mixture of different instruments and doing more melodic patches and full song structures. This makes sense for tying your Roland gear in with your modular. While euro sequencers will allow more esoteric options and interaction within the modular patch.
Carmelo_P82
wavedepletion wrote:
You'll want both probably, depending on what kind of music you want to make. I love the Octatrack for sequencing a mixture of different instruments and doing more melodic patches and full song structures. This makes sense for tying your Roland gear in with your modular. While euro sequencers will allow more esoteric options and interaction within the modular patch.

This is exactly what I want to do.
I want to sequence the drums in my rack and the melodies with my Octatrack but I want that both follow the same clock smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1