MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Scanning Piston Honda Wavetables Via External In
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Scanning Piston Honda Wavetables Via External In
sygor
Hi!
I'm interested in using the PH3 with external signals. Am I right in thinking that an external sawtooth would scan the wavetables exactly the same as the internal scanning wave in the PH would? What voltage range does it use? -5 to 5? What happens if it goes over that? Does it clip, fold back or wrap around? How many questions is too many in 1 post?
Leverkusen
From the manual:

Quote:
Most CV inputs on the Piston Honda accept full-scale, bipolar control voltages with a range of +/-10v. The response of the various inputs are scaled to provide a musically useful range of motion within the typical range of +/- 5V, with additional reactivity far outside of this range. The attenuverters use a nonlinear curve to allow a typical control voltage to subtly modulate a small range of the parameter, or full-swing travel without the use of external ampli cation.

I think the videos say it will fold around when the CV plus the slider position exceeds the ceiling of the wave table.
mt3
sygor wrote:
Hi!
I'm interested in using the PH3 with external signals. Am I right in thinking that an external sawtooth would scan the wavetables exactly the same as the internal scanning wave in the PH would? What voltage range does it use? -5 to 5? What happens if it goes over that? Does it clip, fold back or wrap around? How many questions is too many in 1 post?

To clarify, I believe you are referring to EXT IN from FM/EXT IN and not the WAVEFORM SELECTION CV inputs which scan through the wavetables.
This was confusing to me for a while with the PHmkII initially, but it's really just the PHmkIII morphing into an external fx signal processor.
THE MANUAL wrote:
Each oscillator’s wavetable generator can accept an external audio signal, instead of the internal oscillator. To change to this mode, press the “MODE” button on the desired oscillator. “EXT” will appear in the display. Patch an external audio signal to the oscillator’s FM input (or leave it unpatched to process the output of the other oscillator.) Turn up the large tune knob. In this mode, the large knob functions as the manual GAIN control. The oscillator’s CV input and attenuverter will provide voltage control of the gain. For the “classic” nonlinear dynamic waveshaping sound, set the input signal to a sine wave, select the wavetable as desired, and put an envelope into the oscillator’s CV input.

Note the knob functionality of the PHmkIII is an homage to how the knobs and interface of the PHmkI processed external signals.
Leverkusen
Ups - yes, you are right. I misread the first post... d'oh!
mt3
Leverkusen wrote:
Ups - yes, you are right. I misread the first post... d'oh!

No, you're correct as well since that was the other half of the question that I believe the first post was trying to ask. You saved me from having to answer that part too.
sygor
Sorry, the question was a bit vague, I did mean EXT IN. It makes sense that any values over the maximum would fold back, otherwise there would be discontinuities and clicks on every cycle. Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1