MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

16n faderbank
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 16n faderbank
Acquadar
16n faderbank. It's incredible that nobody think about it before. A 16 faderbank that control the Eurorack world.

https://llllllll.co/t/faderbank-run-see-top-post-for-status/9920/19

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VpoPBM086DE
DSC
I like the concept. I think I will build my own, maybe with 'CV IN' to each fader channel allowing you to supply CV to attenuate and shape. Also add 'invert' switch to each channel too. No rest for the wicked hihi
gentle_attack
This doesn't look like Eurorack hmmm.....

Linking a random post in the middle of another forum's thread isn't really outstanding content. I'm not trying to be an ass but you should clean up your OP so we know what exactly you are trying to initiate discussion about
ersatzplanet
Someone has thought of it before. The Sp-4dp comes assembled or as a kit.

They use dual sliders so two CVs per slider. Audio, or CV.
DSC
I was thinking something more compact and less clunky, more bang for the buck, as far as HP use too. No offense thumbs up
uniquepersonno2
Ooh, I actually really like the Synthwerks design. For a control module an easily useable layout with high-quality faders really appeals to me. Now I’m tempted to build a control skiff...
Obviously to each their own though, and I’m interested to see what you come up with DSC hihi
ersatzplanet
DSC wrote:
I was thinking something more compact and less clunky, more bang for the buck, as far as HP use too. No offense thumbs up

None taken. There is not much space left after you add jacks to the 60mm pots we use on the module. I could have made a version with the jacks above the sliders like our SP-1P, but with only a CV out jack and no provisions for signal in/out. You could make a narrower version that way with just one jack above each slider and only CV out. There would be room for that. You might be able to fit a knob-less pot for range control too but it would be tight. We use good Bourns sliders and they are 3.43" long so that doesn't leave much above or below. We went the route of flexibility over size. And since it is a performance module, you need a non-crowded space for ergonomic reasons (at least we think so). Each slider on the SP-4DP is a dual slider and both sides have all their taps brought out so not only can each side provide a DC CV voltage, but can also act as a Seque pot or a Pan pot and any of two of those 3 modes can be used at one time on one slider. That is why there are 24 jacks on the side.
DSC
Hi James,

Yes, you did your homework and the module makes tons of sense based on what you were designing it for. Yes, I will be going with smaller travel slide pots. And yes, you justify dual pots with obvious benefits. With smaller travel pots and with LED indicators on them for easy night time reference. I think I could still jam three jacks in per slider. I am also thinking at least 12 slide pots, with the focus on using as little HP possible. Crazy, I know and it might be impossible!!!! I will start doing hard research and see what I come up with over the next few months.
ersatzplanet
DSC wrote:
Hi James,

Yes, you did your homework and the module makes tons of sense based on what you were designing it for. Yes, I will be going with smaller travel slide pots. And yes, you justify dual pots with obvious benefits. With smaller travel pots and with LED indicators on them for easy night time reference. I think I could still jam three jacks in per slider. I am also thinking at least 12 slide pots, with the focus on using as little HP possible. Crazy, I know and it might be impossible!!!! I will start doing hard research and see what I come up with over the next few months.

With smaller sliders and not using knob caps (which is a real problem matching to the many shaft types) you should have plenty of room to do what you want. The most expensive thing with any project involving sliders, is the front panel. Unless you have a friend with a CNC mill to cut the slots, you will need a metal shop to punch them. There is no easy way to DIY them. I usually make my prototypes with Front Panel Express panels, for the SP-4DP I went straight to production and had 50 panels made. Obviously, if you go that way, you have to check everything more than once. Luckily I do the panel design in AutoCad and can import directly from the PCB layout program so check locations.

I love using the SP-4DP in my own rig. Controllers are great for any rig when they get big enough that "reaching through the spaghetti" gets to be a drag. Some actions in a patch are MUCH more obvious and natural with sliders too.

Good luck on your project!
DSC
ersatzplanet wrote:

Controllers are great for any rig when they get big enough that "reaching through the spaghetti" gets to be a drag. Some actions in a patch are MUCH more obvious and natural with sliders too.

+1 this! And after a few years in modular it becomes apparent that having one location to control voltages makes it more useful in the heat of production.

I have complete metal fab, including screenprinting, 'in house' and it is a luxury to be able to make my own prototypes. You probably have seen a few of my creations. My website is here: www.MillionMachineMarch.com
ersatzplanet
DSC wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:

Controllers are great for any rig when they get big enough that "reaching through the spaghetti" gets to be a drag. Some actions in a patch are MUCH more obvious and natural with sliders too.

+1 this! And after a few years in modular it becomes apparent that having one location to control voltages makes it more useful in the heat of production.

I have complete metal fab, including screenprinting, 'in house' and it is a luxury to be able to make my own prototypes. You probably have seen a few of my creations. My website is here: www.MillionMachineMarch.com

Having access to a local fab shop is VERY cool. Super jealous. There are so many scrapped projects on my drive because I couldn't afford a small run of them (most metal shops will REALLY charge for singles).

This is my controller skiff. I originally made it for a demo rig but now can't stop using it. I can set it in front of almost any cabinet/rig and I'm golden.

DSC
Your control skiff is awesome! Makes sense to dedicate a box that you are personally very familiar with. Great combination of various controls too.

Looks like I could rough in 12 fadas in 26 HP. I/O for voltage and audio. Could possible have space for mutes or offset? I will keep playin' thumbs up

It's not access to another shop. I literally do everything 'in house' thumbs up Little gif of my process.

Over 20 years in contract manufacturing.
20 years in metal fab almost 30 in screenprinting.

ersatzplanet
DSC wrote:
Your control skiff is awesome! Makes sense to dedicate a box that you are personally very familiar with. Great combination of various controls too.

Yeah, it is like bringing your pedalboard when using somebody else’s amp. Learn your controller and you can get similar results with another rig. I myself have five 6U x 84hp cabinets and just take what I need. The controller skiff always comes too.

DSC wrote:
Over 20 years in contract manufacturing.
20 years in metal fab almost 30 in screenprinting.

I started doing metal design around 1976 at Symetrix here in Seattle. I did it for around 25 years. I designed over 50 different 1u, 3u, and desktop chassis (and artwork). Never made them myself, just sent them to shops. Still remember some Pem numbers for the standoff’s we used. Pretty sad.
Dcramer
ersatzplanet wrote:
Someone has thought of it before. The Sp-4dp comes assembled or as a kit.

They use dual sliders so two CVs per slider. Audio, or CV.

we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
This thing feels amazing. I really need a second to pair with it.
Very flexible patching and lurvly feeling, smooth, responsive sliders... Drunken Homer Simpson
DSC
ersatzplanet wrote:

Never made them myself, just sent them to shops. Still remember some Pem numbers for the standoff’s we used.

Don't get me started on PEM stuff! hihi When I was 22 years old, I started my 'commercial' metal fab experience with working a Pem insertion machine for 10 months straight! very frustrating The only thing that kept me from losing my mind was the promise that I would be able to learn and work the CNC turrent press! Those suckas are bad a$$!!!!

ersatzplanet wrote:

I started doing metal design around 1976 at Symetrix here in Seattle. I did it for around 25 years. I designed over 50 different 1u, 3u, and desktop chassis (and artwork).

Sounds like you really would of had a lot of fun out in the shop building what you were designing. thumbs up
ersatzplanet
DSC wrote:
Sounds like you really would of had a lot of fun out in the shop building what you were designing. thumbs up

I would have a great time! l would have the most baddass metal skiffs and cabinets ever. Drilling holes is easy. The tools are not expensive (drill presses are cheap). Designing for Front Panel Express is easy (but expensive). Bending metal chassis up is not easy without the right tools and space. A shear and a brake are not cheaply come by and take up some space.

Super jealous now.
DSC
I have followed your work since joining Muff's and I really like what you have done. If you have an idea you would like to get a prototype panel done of, let me know. I would gladly work with you. We can figure something out. Or if by chance you would like to try screenprinting on your own I could help with advice.

Here is a couple fun ones I just finished this morning. Six color epoxy on white powdercoat.

DSC
Ok, straight off the bench. Here is what I ended up with. Sorry for the overexposed pics, but I wanted you to really see the latching 'mute' buttons.
13 HP in size. Literally the smallest I could make it.
So the order is:
CV in
Atten CV out
Atten CV Inverted out
Audio in
Atten/mutable Audio out
Mute button (Audio only)

danishchairs
These are great - nice work, both DSC and ersatzplanet! These controllers look fab, like little mixing desks. applause

This thread has been really useful for thinking about the kinds of controls I’d like to have close at hand.
suboptimal
That's a nice little fader box. Excellent work.

I'm a big fan of the Synthwerks fader line. The SP-4DP is my go-to for all sorts of control and performance issues. I feel like it can make a patch into several patches. The issue with these things is always going to be how accessible it is in the case, though. I have mine on the bottom of a monster base that holds the rest of my system and I've installed cable clips here and there over it to keep the pasta under a degree of control.
DSC
suboptimal wrote:
I have mine on the bottom of a monster base that holds the rest of my system and I've installed cable clips here and there over it to keep the pasta under a degree of control.

Yep, that is where I planned to put it too. Lots of cables to sort out thumbs up

Paranormal Patroler
Wow DSC that is so right down my alley! love Loving it.
Sinamsis
DSC
Are you going to sell any of those? I've been holding out for the Instruo fader module (I've been told it will eventually see the light of day, but I have no idea how long that will take), but this seems to be more or less what i was looking for. 8 channels would be even better, but whatever.
DSC
This design is a bit nuts, in a prototyping sort of way. Basically you have to use very slender connectors on your cables in order to get them to work. I have these jacks so packed in tight that they will not support 'most' plastic cables. Personally I use all metal Rean connectors on my custom cables.(Div of Neutrik) This allows me to really smash these suckas together. If you wanted something like this for a 'normal spec' eurorack you would need to remove one row in order to reinstate normal spacing. So figure losing a row of jacks or row of buttons.
How close are they, here is a pic without the panel. Maybe another sane builder here can chime in how how this is NOT how something is currently manufactured in any quantity hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1