MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Steady State Fate Muton 8 channel VCA
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Steady State Fate Muton 8 channel VCA
pieter
There doesn't seem to be a dedicated thread for this module, and I think there should be:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-jlZvnWYQ/?taken-by=steady_state_fate

Eight linear DC-coupled VCAs with soft mute in 10hp with a summing mixer. Exactly what I need in a very compact package. Would like to know approximate price and ETA. Edit: $249

My only suggestion would be to swap the mute buttons and the output sockets, so I can build a nerd's nest of cables and still play the buttons.
huffnPuff
That’s a very good suggestion but AFAIU from SSF these are already being manufactured.

I have 10hp reserved for one.
vibralux
Looks very tempting but yeah - the button placement is a shot in a knee....
geremyf
Is it pronounced like the food or the the alien technology?
pieter
huffnPuff wrote:
That’s a very good suggestion but AFAIU from SSF these are already being manufactured.

I guess I will have to keep a pencil handy, to push the buttons from high above...
vonstirlitz
Nice. I need something like this. I quite like the button/outs placement to be fair
Foghorn
Waiting. patiently waiting.

As I stab my Mute 4

But, does it really have a summing mixer like the Mute 4?

Foghorn
BaloErets
Foghorn wrote:
Waiting. patiently waiting.

As I stab my Mute 4

But, does it really have a summing mixer like the Mute 4?

Foghorn

According to SSF, indeed It does! Rockin' Banana!
SonicVoltage
Probably swapping mute buttons' position with the Outs could make the user interface worse. I say this because you could end up with Outs-Cables 'leaving' the module passing over some of the mute buttons (if buttons were to the right)

With placement as per OP image, it is more likely you will indeed have a gap where the buttons are... Then cables leave the module from the right side with hopefully most cables not passing over the buttons.

It of course depends on overall module placement in relation to source signals and receiving modules down the chain
analogPedagog
For what its worth, I did experiment with placement of the buttons and it is quite confortable and playable in the current configuration - even with all the jacks occupied.

To clarify on the summing mixer functionality - you can get any combination of separate summing mixes. As long as the jacks above your patched mix out are empty, you will get a mix of all said empty outputs, including the patched output channel.
Dogma
analogPedagog wrote:
For what its worth, I did experiment with placement of the buttons and it is quite confortable and playable in the current configuration - even with all the jacks occupied.

To clarify on the summing mixer functionality - you can get any combination of separate summing mixes. As long as the jacks above your patched mix out are empty, you will get a mix of all said empty outputs, including the patched output channel.

when is this being released? Theres a place in my rack waiting for it smile
And the di-pole? Your killing it ATM!
analogPedagog
Dogma wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:

when is this being released? Theres a place in my rack waiting for it smile
And the di-pole? Your killing it ATM!

Thanks for your patience - eurorack manufacturing is in a bit of a crisis - as some may be aware of - so we are backed up a bit getting our newly announced modules out in the wild. That being said, we are definitely starting production in about a week for the Muton.
analogPedagog
geremyf wrote:
Is it pronounced like the food or the the alien technology?

Pronounced - MUTE-ON or MEWT-ON
pieter
analogPedagog wrote:
eurorack manufacturing is in a bit of a crisis - as some may be aware of

I was not, that's unfortunate. What is the cause of the crisis?
analogPedagog
pieter wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:

1.) SMD part shortages and market restructuring - not many of the larger SMD packages will be produced in the future.
A few companies are no longer in business and most are going to be bought up by just a few of the bigger companies.

2.) sweet 25% tax on all parts manufactured in China/Taiwan - a lot of them come from there but not everything

3.) The bigger synth companies know this and are buying up all the parts that are available - new parts are not expected to be available until a year or more from now.

4.) The automotive industry is basically the only reason that a lot of these parts are going to continue to be manufactured - and they of course have cart blanche when it comes to purchasing them.

So with this in mind, some of us smaller companies are in a dangerous situation that could potentially ruin the small boutique euro manufacturer.

Finally, there is also this: https://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=42125

wish us luck
hawkfuzz
analogPedagog wrote:
pieter wrote:
analogPedagog wrote:

1.) SMD part shortages and market restructuring - not many of the larger SMD packages will be produced in the future.
A few companies are no longer in business and most are going to be bought up by just a few of the bigger companies.

2.) sweet 25% tax on all parts manufactured in China/Taiwan - a lot of them come from there but not everything

3.) The bigger synth companies know this and are buying up all the parts that are available - new parts are not expected to be available until a year or more from now.

4.) The automotive industry is basically the only reason that a lot of these parts are going to continue to be manufactured - and they of course have cart blanche when it comes to purchasing them.

So with this in mind, some of us smaller companies are in a dangerous situation that could potentially ruin the small boutique euro manufacturer.

wish us luck

I'm really hoping all these small boutique electronic business can rally. Maybe some US parts manufacturers will start popping off...unlike the popless mutes on this sweet 10hp summing mixer!
pieter
I have noticed that some smd parts have become scarce on mouser, I didn't know this was a larger trend. And the price drop due to higher demand is just messed up! I will continue to buy modules only from small, responsible sellers, and I am happy to pay a premium to keep the ecosystem healthy. Unfortunately, price is a strong motivator for most people, even if the savings are only a few euros.

I really hope you and the other manufacturers will pull through. Worst case scenario from this "consumer's" point of view is that in ten years we all assemble our racks with modules from only three or four manufacturers. Without the diversity there is no eurorack.
Joe.
Clickless mute?
pieter
Joe. wrote:
Clickless mute?

It says "soft mute", so I take that as a yes.
Joe.
Soft/Hard mute usually refer to group muting functions on a mixer, clickless refers to the way it's built (eg with a zero crossing threshold detector) to avoid pops.

If it it's clickless, is there a limit to how fast I can switch the mutes on/off using the cv inputs?
pieter
As far as I understand from the panel, there is no CV control over the mute button.
Joe.
ahh i see.

When they're released someone run a SubOsc into an input, and a square wave into the CV input please twisted
oinkbanana
parts shortage and new import fees suck. I hope it gets sorted.

analogPedagog wrote:
wish us luck

this I don't really agree with. the ecosystem is flourishing like never before. the amount of new modules being released just keeps going up. and with demand increasing, this isn't slowing down. The nature of modular consists of people who will always want new and creative modules, and are willing to pay for them. having meat and potato modules at discount prices aren't going to deter our thirst for newer and specialized modules.
peripatitis
Tbh as a buyer I have not experienced an 30% price reduction. What has definetely plummeted though is the second hand market, especially older designs even if not lacking anything compared to the next new module..I am thinkg of Maleko Richter as an example..

Anyway, I can understand the skepticism though and of course as a manufacturer you will have an insight far better than us but on the outside it feels as if the price is fixed, there is a specific price range most modules staying between..
analogPedagog
oinkbanana wrote:
parts shortage and new import fees suck. I hope it gets sorted.

analogPedagog wrote:
wish us luck

this I don't really agree with. the ecosystem is flourishing like never before. the amount of new modules being released just keeps going up. and with demand increasing, this isn't slowing down. The nature of modular consists of people who will always want new and creative modules, and are willing to pay for them. having meat and potato modules at discount prices aren't going to deter our thirst for newer and specialized modules.

I agree with you - I do think they are referring to the big synth companies that are getting into euro. The cost of making small runs will go up but I am not planning on changing SSF module prices. If my modules are a little more expensive than others, its because I tend to use more expensive components in the designs. Manufacturers probably only make around 30% of retail price. At least 30% goes to production costs if not more, the rest goes to the
dealers.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3