MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Softube releases Clouds for Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Softube releases Clouds for Modular
docsample
why when you can get it free in VCV Rack???
Luap
docsample wrote:

I expect it benefits those that were invested in Softube Modular before VCVRack existed.
ModdyG
docsample wrote:

To use it with the 259e is my first guess.

Rockin' Banana!
Phitar
docsample wrote:

This brings up a question in my mind. Are either of these "officially" sanctioned by Mutable or are they just taking advantage of the fact that OG releases his coding as open source?
Vortico
Phitar wrote:
Are either of these "officially" sanctioned by Mutable or are they just taking advantage of the fact that OG releases his coding as open source?

It's a blurry line between "officially sanctioned" and "licensing a work ahead of time", but in both cases Olivier is somewhat involved.

For example, look at the latest four posts on Mutable Instruments' Twitter. https://twitter.com/mutable_instrum (from May 29 to June 19).
pichenettes
I have granted Softube the right to use the "Mutable Instruments" trademark/logo for their Clouds plug-in.

When the development of VCV Rack started, I suggested the use of "neutral" branding ("Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator") to the developer of VCV Rack to avoid any issue. It makes a lot of sense given that it is an open-source project.

In both cases, the "emulation" simply runs the original open-source code.
Phitar
pichenettes wrote:
I have granted Softube the right to use the "Mutable Instruments" trademark/logo for their Clouds plug-in.

When the development of VCV Rack started, I suggested the use of "neutral" branding ("Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator") to the developer of VCV Rack to avoid any issue. It makes a lot of sense given that it is an open-source project.

In both cases, the "emulation" simply runs the original open-source code.

Essentially what I suspected.
I don't own any Mutable modules... never had the op to even see one in person much less hear one in the wild or touch one (OK so I don't get out much). I now have both "emulations" and I'm hoping they do the original justice. Would like to hear from others how they think the software versions compare sound-wise to the hardware. My 1st impression is that the software sounds pretty damn good and I would guess the hardware would be even better.
pichenettes
Sound-wise, Softube and VCVRack badly emulate the click of the buttons and the scratching of your fingers on the knobs.

Besides that... what makes Clouds sounds like Clouds is the software inside, and both products run the original code as is (not "emulated" in any way).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1