MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Proposed Sequencing Panel - Comments?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Proposed Sequencing Panel - Comments?
DGTom
Just didn't think I'd seen a sub-osc in your set-up. Totally not needed in a "fattening" sense with 3 VCOs but there are some really nice sync & Filter sounds you can get & the great thing about using the BZ at audio rates is you have control over +/- sides of the output & it can take a VCO signal into LFO ranges - fantastic for bubbleing filter cutoff stuff.

Sounds like an awesome set-up to me!
johnnymad
another vote for a binary zone. i use the hex and binary zone together all the time.
Babaluma
Coolio, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be ear slew, HZ, BZ, HZ, ear slope detector, with an FR Orb at a later date then. Should be pretty powerful.

Yeah, I used to like the sub osc functions of the FD.

If I can sell my Mobius I'll order the first bits!

Thanks for all the help, advice and great suggestions!

johnnymad, what kind of crazy stuff do you get up to with combining the HZ and BZ?
johnnymad
nothing too crazy honestly. i just get them both playing in the same key and use each as a separate part of the arrangement. i use the hex as a sequential switch to program drums constantly though. it's very handy for that. i like to use the pair to make "songs" in one take. with two hex zones and a binary, you could have five voices going on at the same time. that makes me want another hex. help
rezzn8r
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Babaluma wrote:
Why do you ask?

Because the Binary Zone's /2 & /4 knobs are quite useful for sub-octaves.
...when you are not using it for other things that is.
Send your sound source to the Clock In and get sub-octaves from anything.
The longer divisions are not as useful for audio unless your initial sound is quite high in pitch.

hmmm..... I thought this sounded like a great idea, but I can't get my BZ to do this. how do I patch up sub-octaves? if I put a VCO to the clock in on my BZ, I get no signal from Out, or InvOut, and only a constant tone from either clock out regardless of /2 & /4 settings.
DGTom
check the lag. With 0 lag you should get a squarewave - or low freq. clicking at LFO speeds. Use 2.5 or 5V modes. The constant tone at the clock / trigger outs should only correspond to the VCO, not any of the BZ settings.
rezzn8r
DGTom wrote:
check the lag. With 0 lag you should get a squarewave - or low freq. clicking at LFO speeds. Use 2.5 or 5V modes. The constant tone at the clock / trigger outs should only correspond to the VCO, not any of the BZ settings.

spot on, DGTom. I think it was the lag setting that was confusing me. works like a charm now!
thanks Guinness ftw!
Babaluma
i'm gonna go ahead and order two hex zones pretty soon.

i am wondering how i will be able to achieve per step lag/slew/portamento (a la 303/mobius etc.) with the hex zone and a) an EG1 b) a VCS or c) an oakley lag.

will it be possible to get per step portamento with any of the above? or will i have to wait until i can afford an orb?

i am still trying to decide what to put in the centre and ears of my proposed sequencing panel. at the moment i'm thinking:

hex zone, vcs, hex zone (and the ears are still undecided, possibly analogue logic and slope detector).

i'll replace the blank left by the current vcs with another blacet EG1.
DGTom
EG1 is how I patch it.

ADSR mode
Hold the gate on with a static +ve voltage
Patch seq. CV into Sustain CV In
Decay all the way down
gate into Decay CV in

Process the gate before it hits the decay CV in, the level of the gate will be your portamento time thumbs up
Babaluma
thanks DGTom, i'm still not sure i really understand it, but it will probably become clearer once the hex zone arrives! do you think that would also be possible with the vcs or oakley slew? probably not, right?
DGTom
The EG-1 patch is just a variation on the VC Slew, so the VCS will be able to do something similar.

Basically you are patching in a 0% slew then sending events into the VC input to increase the slew rate a certain times. I only use the EG-1 over the VCS because the VCS is usually busy & because the EG-1 patch has a few bonus features, like the sustain knob acting as an offset - awesome for driving stacked VCOs

With the crazy ass mo-fo switching power of Dual Hex Zones I bet you could set-up a patch with the Oakley - maybe running parallel CVs, one straight, one slewed, then switching between them. The only problem I'd imagine with that is cutting the slide off mid way thru... which may actually sound cool with some lines SlayerBadger!

I should get over my LCD-phobia & get a HZ one of these days.
Babaluma
Thanks for the info DGTom, sorry not to reply sooner. I think I get the EG1 as "per step slew" patch with the Hex Zone, but I won't actually be able to try it for a while, and I'm hoping I'll be able to do it with the VCS instead of an EG1.

I am not sure what you mean about using the Sustain pot on the EG1 as an offset to drive stacked VCOs, but I am intrigued, please explain further!

Well, anyway, things are moving along. I now have another Blacet EG1, so the Serge VCS will be "relegated" to the middle spot on the sequencing panel.

I received the first hex zone today, and the VCS is also waiting to go in, but I am still waiting for the new Frac Rack and PS500.

So it'll end up being:

Hex Zone - VCS - Hex Zone

with two spare ears. (Michael Ford from Metalbox has suggested two of his little ADSRs, I am waiting to hear back to see if they will actually fit. Apparently the Slope Detector should fit if I forgo the LEDs, but I'm kinda off the idea of that one now anyway. The Analogue Logic won't fit. The Oakley Lag is also still a possibility.)

The Oakley Lag brings me back full circle, as, trawling the forum earlier, I came across this post from Nathan Kirchner explaining yet another way to get per step Glide from just a Hex Zone and ANY available slew module:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4421#4421

Quote:
It doesn't have glide - the idea was to supply two CV outputs (settable for each step) and to use one for GLIDE or VCF or VCA or whatever control on another module. Or you can connect say CV1 to switch input 1 and CV2 to a Slew Limiter and then to switch input 2. Then connect the Switch output to the CV control of your VCO. Then use the Hex Zone sequencer to set the active switch to 1 for normal notes and switch 2 for GLIDE notes.

Seems like I'll really enjoy spending a lot of time getting to know this combination!

Another thing I dig up was about patching the Gate out of the Hex Zone into the Switch In, to Multiplex the Gate. I really have no idea what this means or how I would use it, but it sure does sound exciting!

Will it also be possible to send one of the CV Outs of the Hex Zone to the Clock input to adjust the time of each note, like people do on Serge TKBs?
Cat-A-Tonic
Babaluma wrote:
Another thing I dig up was about patching the Gate out of the Hex Zone into the Switch In, to Multiplex the Gate. I really have no idea what this means or how I would use it, but it sure does sound exciting!

Will it also be possible to send one of the CV Outs of the Hex Zone to the Clock input to adjust the time of each note, like people do on Serge TKBs?

The gate multiplexing thing is what makes it awesome for drum/event sequencing.
The power is in the switch routing per step(something that no other seq. switch has).
So steps 3, 7, 12... can all fire switch 3 while steps 4, 5, 8... are firing switch 4 and so forth.

I haven't tried clocking it with it's own CV, but I've advanced the sequencer via microphone signal before among other things.
You could advance a second seq. with one of the the multiplexed gates of the first.

Modulating a VCO with audio-rate sequences is good fun.
DGTom
Babaluma wrote:
Hex Zone - VCS - Hex Zone

That seems to me a really nice seq'ing panel. Using the VCS as a VC divider to clock the 2nd Hex so that it plays complex polyrythms over the top of the first love

Babaluma wrote:

Doesn't the HZ have a per-step settable gate length? Or am I remembering something totally differant hmmm..... This kind of differant to what you want tho isn't it? Isn't the TKB trick to send a CV to the VC Clock? This is something the VCS will excel at... with Rise & Fall acting as "variable funk controls"

Oh.. w/r/t the EG-1 & Sustain control as offset. The way it works is when you are using the EG-1 as a VC Slew the gate input is held high, that way the Sustain stage is always on so the sustain level will set a voltage, which your incoming CV will be added to... basically, in use its like having a +ve only version of the lower section of the Mixer / Processors Bias pot.

Argh! all that super controlled switching / multiplexing.. I really do want a HZ Dead Banana
Cat-A-Tonic
Yes, the HexZone has excellent gate-per-step programming: 0-99% gate-width, hold, and reset.

Send a pulse from a VCO or MicroLFO to the clock in for VC clock.
Babaluma
cool ideas! hadn't even considered the VCS subdivider patch with the HZs...

yeah gate time is programmable on the HZ, but not the step time. i think that's what people do with their TKBs for funky riddims.

i'm wondering specifically about the "gate multiplexing" patch listed in another thread, which i think involves patching the HZ "gate out" to the HZ "switch in". what does this do exactly, and why might it be useful?

can't wait to get the panel up and running!
Cat-A-Tonic
Babaluma wrote:
i'm wondering specifically about the "gate multiplexing" patch listed in another thread, which i think involves patching the HZ "gate out" to the HZ "switch in". what does this do exactly, and why might it be useful?

It allows you to sequentially route the gate to different places for triggering drums or envelopes.
It's just a different approach to what you can do with your 606 already.

You can of course use it the other way around, and send different sound sources through the switches to be selected at the common.
Having multiple noise sources makes this fun.
Babaluma
thanks dude, that makes more sense! so you can basically use it as a fully featured gate/trigger sequencer, and a regular CV sequencer, independently, but at the same time? that's pretty cool.
werock
Just wanted to say this thread has given me some ideas. I've got 2 of fonik's VCPS PCBs to make up, and was wondering how best to incorporate them (or at least 1) into my current setup.

Reading through this has convinced me to have a separate sequencing panel too!

I'm undecided whether to keep it as 2 VCPS sequencers, or maybe just keep 1 and get a Hez Zone for a bit of variety. But either way I'll add something like a Metalbox Pulse Diver/Logic.

But I can't do anything for a few months, so I've got plenty of thinking time.

But thanks for the inspiration Guinness ftw!
Babaluma
cool, no worries!

i just ordered the second hex zone, and have asked metalbox if their adsr will fit in a rack ear. if it will, it's gonna be:

adsr - hex zone - vcs - hex zone - adsr

trouble is, i am still waiting for my new ps500 and frac rack, so can't play with it yet!
Adam-V
I hate waiting for the boring stuff like frames and supplies, it's so tedious. It's going to be worth the wait though; that is one funky sequencing setup.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Babaluma
still waiting for the case and psu, but have one hooked up to another psu, it's great! can't wait to get both of these rocking together. have a FR orb on the way too.

i have now decided on a slope detector in each ear, mainly on cat-a-tonics recommendation for use with the pair of joysticks and JAGs in my wiard controller, for deriving gate signals.
Babaluma
quick pic, the orb is hiding!

anyone have any crazy ideas on what to do with this setup?
dude
beautiful!!!!
werock
Babaluma wrote:

anyone have any crazy ideas on what to do with this setup?

Send it to me? hihi

Looks very cool, I bet you'll have plenty of fun with that.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3