MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

iPad sequencers? any love?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author iPad sequencers? any love?
anselmi
I´m new to the world of iPad sequencers but saw some interesting stuff, so I wonder if you guys use them to drive your systems

what app? what kind of control? is there any wireless module that works well to deliver control CV from an iPad sequencer?

experiences and advice welcome!
plutino
Fugue Machine is fun.

Ipad + Mac Midi network > Soundcard (with midi) > CVOCD > Modular.
4 channels of CV goodness.

CVOCD is cool if you want to save HP but if you want an upgraded module version theres the new HexInverter Mutant Brain
cackland
Nope. Implementing any kind of 'computer' into my modular system is a no go for me.
brandonlogic
fugue machine is the only one ive used with the modular but its a lot of fun
jzwoopwoop
cackland wrote:
Nope. Implementing any kind of 'computer' into my modular system is a no go for me.

Fantastic input, thanks.
jzwoopwoop
This topic should probably be moved, but here are sequencers I've enjoyed...

Pattering -- Drum sequencer, so a bit of a PIA to map to a midi-to-cv module to get each drum part to trigger in a modular setup. But it's a really fun and tactile sequencer

StepPolyArp / StepPolyArpUnit

ArpPro

dotMelody

STEPS

Rozetta
cackland
jzwoopwoop wrote:

Fantastic input, thanks.

You're most welcome smile

anselmi wrote:
so I wonder if you guys use them to drive your systems

Read. Hence my answer.
jzwoopwoop
cackland wrote:
anselmi wrote:

Read. Hence my answer.

Like, sure. But also, wouldn't not replying (and therefore keeping thread short, not bumping it up, etc) have made the same impact?

I really don't care that much and this is so not a big deal, so I appreciate you taking my snarky reply in jest.
cackland
jzwoopwoop wrote:
cackland wrote:
anselmi wrote:

Read. Hence my answer.

Like, sure. But also, wouldn't not replying (and therefore keeping thread short, not bumping it up, etc) have made the same impact?

I really don't care that much and this is so not a big deal, so I appreciate you taking my snarky reply in jest.

It seems the same applies to you. If you really didn't care, then not 'replying' to my reply - (and therefore keeping the thread short, not bumping it up, etc) would have the same impact.

My reply on this thread, is my opinion. As you are entitled to yours.

Love and peace smile
lego
I’ve been loving Senode. I recommend it highly.
dogoftears
lego wrote:
I’ve been loving Senode. I recommend it highly.

i was about to suggest this, it's one of the more unsung iOS sequencers, and it is IMO the most interesting among the lot. i've written the developer suggesting new features to make it more "professional" and also awesome AF, he seemed open minded. hope it keeps developing.

really fun app, wouldn't mind a hardware sequencer with a similar concept...
ym2612
It's cool that we have people here to remind us that they don't use computers, I guess. Good job.

Back on topic: I use Modstep for sequencing a lot of hardware, including a Yarns sending CV/gate out to the modular. That takes 5-pin DIN, though, so you'll need to convert USB midi to that at some point. The little IConnectMidi Mio works fine for that as long as you have a USB3 adapter for your iPad.

Fugue Machine and StepPolyArp are fun, too, but I see those are more specialized, utility or single-voice sequencers. I've recorded sequences from both into Modstep for sequencing hardware. Xequence is similar to Modstep, aimed at pure MIDI sequencing, but with a linear timeline.

I need to upgrade to 11 so I can try out Rozeta, and apeMatrix looks badass. Sometimes I think iOS is stronger for music when it's being used on its own, modular-ish terms, rather than trying to force it into the DAW paradigm.
jzwoopwoop
cackland wrote:
It seems the same applies to you. If you really didn't care, then not 'replying' to my reply - (and therefore keeping the thread short, not bumping it up, etc) would have the same impact.

My reply on this thread, is my opinion. As you are entitled to yours.

Love and peace smile

First off, love and peace to you as well, sir/madam. This is hopefully the most inconsequential argument I'll have all week, so glad we can keep things in perspective.

THAT SAID, I don't follow your logic. As a person who does occasionally use an ipad to sequence my modular, and who also always uses my modular in conjunction with a DAW-computer-soundcard setup, this thread is of direct interest to me. So I would be exactly the kind of person who is interested in making sure this thread gets replies, continues to be bumped to the top, etc.

None of that applies to you, therefore I find your participating in the thread puzzling.

But yes, of course you're entitled to your opinion, etc etc.
guestt
Indeed, ignore what you are not interested in and leave those who are interested in it to chat amongst themselves, can you imagine if everyone said they were not interested on every thread they were not interested in? d'oh!

I really like Patterning - as has been mentioned the midi setup is a bit cumbersome, but once you have it all set up it works really well and is really fluid and playable.

I use it with Shuttle Control - 16 outs: 8 triggers (with one or two gate perhaps depending on what I am triggering), one or two CV outputs, some clocked modulation, perhaps some random and I always include clock and reset.

If you are going to do this I recommend using it as your master clock.

Depending on what else you are using it with you may find Midi Link Sync app useful!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-link-sync/id1071048493

If you are more open to experimental midi controllers there's a whole bunch of them available, Lemur is amazing for example!

I dd all this quite a long time ago now and have moved on since, but I keep meaning t come back to the iPad as a control surface, but if I am honest I probably wouldn't try anything clocked again, yes it's fun and it can work well, but it is quite a bit of faff. I would be approaching it from a controller perspective, and building custom interfaces in Lemur or using something like LFO Studio or ABreakpoint2 - both superb:

Ears
I'm using patterning and am excited for the upcoming major revision.

I have each drum going to a different MIDI channel, then through an iPad Midi remapping utility to remap velocity to Mod Wheel, and that goes out to my Hermod which I've set up to have 8 modulation voices. This gives me 8 triggers with velocity to play some fun drum loops. I've also synched the clock with Hermod to allow me to record patterns on the Hermod for later editing and reuse.

I've also started playing with other Hermod output layouts to unlock the other kinds of modulation you can program in Patterning.
jzwoopwoop
Ears wrote:
I have each drum going to a different MIDI channel, then through an iPad Midi remapping utility to remap velocity to Mod Wheel, and that goes out to my Hermod which I've set up to have 8 modulation voices. This gives me 8 triggers with velocity to play some fun drum loops. I've also synched the clock with Hermod to allow me to record patterns on the Hermod for later editing and reuse.

I've also started playing with other Hermod output layouts to unlock the other kinds of modulation you can program in Patterning.

Wow. That’s fucking awesome. Thinking about how I could somewhat achieve that with my expert sleepers based setup. Would obvs be much more reliant on DAW to record midi from Patterning.

Very cool, thanks for the tip.
Delta T
Two others to check out:

Quantum and Thesys. I've been using both quite a bit.
Ears
jzwoopwoop wrote:
Thinking about how I could somewhat achieve that with my expert sleepers based setup. Would obvs be much more reliant on DAW to record midi from Patterning.

Very cool, thanks for the tip.

If you figure it out let me know! I have as ES8 but got lost trying to figure it all out.

While I doubt I'll find time, I'm tempted to make a video of my efforts since there are a couple of non obvious tricks.
anselmi
thanks for the replies, guys...plenty of apps to check!

what about wireless connectivity modules? I found this ones:
are they a good alternative to a classic (wired) USB/MIDI interface?

Quicco Sound Mi.1e – Wireless Eurorack MIDI To CV
http://www.synthanatomy.com/2017/12/tokyo-festival-of-modular-quicco-s ound-mi-1e-wireless-eurorack-midi-to-cv-interface-with-an-ipad-app.htm l

SDS Digital WiFiMIDI
https://www.gearnews.com/wifimidi-brings-wireless-midi-control-eurorac k/
dpcoffin
My all time fav so far is Different Drummer. The control is all there, but it's SO easy to find oneself in strange new territories…
Ears
dpcoffin wrote:
My all time fav so far is Different Drummer. The control is all there, but it's SO easy to find oneself in strange new territories…

I tried that one a little tonight. Seems like without a lot of reading I'll never get the UI. Which isn't to say I won't come back and try when I'm less exhausted!

How do you set up the MIDI out to control your modules separately?
Ears
One more note: I've found MIDIFLOW to be indispensable in integrating my iPad with my rack.
dpcoffin
Ears wrote:
dpcoffin wrote:

I tried that one a little tonight. Seems like without a lot of reading I'll never get the UI. Which isn't to say I won't come back and try when I'm less exhausted!

MIDI is set up with the settings page (gear icon).

Yeah, it's definitely a bit overwhelming at first! I started with youtube and only started reading after I was hooked, but the dev site is excellent as well for initial orientation. I mostly use the so-called Zen interface, really well designed for touching…

I hardly ever use it for drums btw.

I'd say this was the best video to start with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7MUNKnljyc&t=225s
GovernorSilver
I've worked more with integrated sequencer-synth apps than standalone sequencers. Done some Gadget stuff and now am working on something in SunVox.

There's a SunVox evangelist who uses it to sequence a roomful of hardware. SunVox looks ugly to a lot of people, but it's lightweight, stable, can handle any time signature, etc.
Ears
dpcoffin wrote:
Ears wrote:
dpcoffin wrote:

MIDI is set up with the settings page (gear icon).

Yeah, it's definitely a bit overwhelming at first! I started with youtube and only started reading after I was hooked, but the dev site is excellent as well for initial orientation. I mostly use the so-called Zen interface, really well designed for touching…

I hardly ever use it for drums btw.

I'd say this was the best video to start with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7MUNKnljyc&t=225s

Ok left turn there! First what do you use it for if not drums? Also - so how do you interface to your modular? Or do you? One thing I like in Patterning is each drum can be its own MIDI channel. Is that possible in DD? I can do post DD but yo it's a pain. When using my iPad as a controller each drum ultimately controls a diff module and usually I need trig and velocity to make things groove.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2