MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Looking for a bit of guidance (utility addons) DFAM+0Cst
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Looking for a bit of guidance (utility addons) DFAM+0Cst
DruMunkey
Hi all, hopefully this is a nuanced enough question to not generate too many eye rolls in the "should i buy this vein."

tl;dr - 2+ Disting MK4's or a Disting Mk4 + FH-2?

So I've held off getting into modular because I'm waaaaayy too obsessive and it would be an endless sinkhole.

But I did pick up a DFAM & an 0-Coast and I love them. For the kind of stuff I want to make, them + a DJ mixer & FX is just about perfect. I'm prob. going to add another DFAM one of these days.

I also have an SQ-1 for "analog" CV/Gate sequencing.

I'm figuring that instead of buying a bunch of sequencing and modulation modules + larger case, etc., I can do a lot of what I want with my iPad, sequencer apps like Quantum, that spit out midi notes & CV, and simply run them all into my mini-modular setup via something like Disting mk4 or maybe the FH-2.

So the direction I'm heading is to get the Moog 3 tier stand, an empty 60hp moog case that will fit in the stand, and eventually another DFAM for the last slot.

I'll prob. get a power supply that sits inside the box or externally so that I don't lose space to a pointless panel for the powersupply that I see some have.

In the 60HP case, I'm going to set (not really "mount"... Not gonna disassemble it, etc. I'm going to leave it stock and just run wall wart into it through case) my 0-coast, which if my math is correct will leave me with 15 HP in that case.

[411: I'm going with the Moog case/rack just because it seems "reasonable" in terms of cost, has decent aesthetics/ergonomics, etc.]

Plus, doing it this way will force me to not go nuts on modules as I have no room.

So in that 15 HP I'm looking to pack in some utility modules that will allow me to send midi CV for modulation/sequencing.

I'm thinking at least one disting is a no brainer because of all the functions. But then I was looking at the new FH-2...

So I'd love to hear what woudl be more useful in this little space...

2+ distings, or a Disting & an FH-2?

Or is there some better approach I'm not really thinking about here?
windsongstudio
DruMunkey, you may want to hop on some non-muff mobile discussion threads and get a feel for the pros and cons of using an iPad with DFAMs, 0Coasts, etc. Depending on the specs of your iPad, you may hit limitations if you try to do too much with it acting as a hub. It will depend on how much modulation, effects, processing, etc you will do on the iPad for your particular use case. I've seen the "iPad as a music hub" concept fall apart when too much is done and everything is running through AUM to record and run effects, etc. As with a lot of hardware.. your mileage may vary and it is best to throw out some examples to some mobile forums of what you hope to do on the iPad.

To your question... the FH-2 has 8 CV outs... lots you can do with that. You've got MIDI-CV. LFO generation, arps, clock gen... even MPE covered. And it is a reasonable price point.

The Disting gives you "jack of all trades" utility capabilities in hardware including some effects, etc. But, you'd be shocked how N Distings always seems like N too many or not nearly enough depending on the patch smile Great for a small case.. you'll want 10 of them at times and then they'll sit there for others.

Don't forget things like buffered mults, attenuators, etc. You can do passive mults outside the case for gates using something like the Intellijel Hub and there are some great, passive quad attenuators that don't take up any or much case room.

Personally, I would not rack the DFAM. Mine sits to the side. Eurorack space is always at a premium.. and, unless you are traveling to gigs, it is easy enough to keep it on the side and save the rack space for more utilities.

Good luck with your decision and have fun with your music!
luketeaford
Seems to me like the best approach would be to use the 0-Coast and/or SQ1 as your MIDI to CV device(s). I would see how far you can get with that and the iPad before you think of buying anything else because there is probably a more cost/size effective way to integrate an iPad with your existing semi modular setup.

Windsongstudio's suggestion to ask on other forums is a good one.

I just mentioned this in another topic, but I think the DFAM and 0-Coast are both excellent synths and can cover a lot of ground, but they are both missing: slew, S&H, and a bipolar VCA. Even with MIDI, I would want to use modular techniques on the signals I'm getting after the conversion.
DruMunkey
windsongstudio wrote:
DruMunkey, you may want to hop on some non-muff mobile discussion threads and get a feel for the pros and cons of using an iPad with DFAMs, 0Coasts, etc. Depending on the specs of your iPad, you may hit limitations if you try to do too much with it acting as a hub. It will depend on how much modulation, effects, processing, etc you will do on the iPad for your particular use case. I've seen the "iPad as a music hub" concept fall apart when too much is done and everything is running through AUM to record and run effects, etc. As with a lot of hardware.. your mileage may vary and it is best to throw out some examples to some mobile forums of what you hope to do on the iPad.

To your question... the FH-2 has 8 CV outs... lots you can do with that. You've got MIDI-CV. LFO generation, arps, clock gen... even MPE covered. And it is a reasonable price point.

The Disting gives you "jack of all trades" utility capabilities in hardware including some effects, etc. But, you'd be shocked how N Distings always seems like N too many or not nearly enough depending on the patch smile Great for a small case.. you'll want 10 of them at times and then they'll sit there for others.

Don't forget things like buffered mults, attenuators, etc. You can do passive mults outside the case for gates using something like the Intellijel Hub and there are some great, passive quad attenuators that don't take up any or much case room.

Personally, I would not rack the DFAM. Mine sits to the side. Eurorack space is always at a premium.. and, unless you are traveling to gigs, it is easy enough to keep it on the side and save the rack space for more utilities.

Good luck with your decision and have fun with your music!

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful response!

I'm pretty solid when it comes to using the iPad for music... Not so much interfacing with modular gear.

I've played with using it just as FX... hooked up my interface to 0coast+dfam, and as I was afraid, it ruins the vibe... Yea, I can do "more", but that kind of defeats the point of using modular for me.

So I'm really only gonna use it as a sequencer/modulator. I've placed an order for this little box called a CV.OCD that I think I can try out before I move to next stage of sickness. smile
windsongstudio
The CV.OCD is a terrific piece of kit. Permanently connected to the Novation Circuit in this studio to bridge to Modular. Good luck with your journey!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1