MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Jaspers stands and heavy keyboards - what's your experience?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Jaspers stands and heavy keyboards - what's your experience?
popvulture
So I'm looking at Jaspers stands on Thomann and am wondering what people think of the weight-handling capabilities. I see that a lot of stands have a two-bar support at the lowest setting, and some have them for the second tier up as well. My biggest wonder/worry is how sturdy and safe the higher tier, one-bar stands are.

FWIW I'll be needing a wider stand to fit a large 88 key Yamaha KX8 controller on the bottom, plus a Model D and a Juno 60, both of which are pretty heavy. Then lighter stuff on the highest rack or racks, depending on which one I get.

Thoughts? Basically just don't want something that'll A) wiggle around on me or more importantly B) not safely hold a keyboard.

Much appreciated! screaming goo yo
pelican
I have a 6 tier. Holds everything well, but if you’re worried you can add more support bars
racooniac
here in the first photo you can see my jaspers hold a doepfer LC9 on the lower level ANGELED without even using the support bar on the backside.

https://imgur.com/a/Xpk5z

on the second photo i am doing the same but on the top row with an different angle (and a mackie mixer is casually chilling on the top row without the need of a support bar)

https://imgur.com/a/HEum2xB

these things are just awesome ;P

and for the very very heavy stuff, just start using the support bars ^^
popvulture
Cool, nice nice—thanks y'all. I figured as much based on people's positive reviews of these things, but it's nice to hear specifically how doable it is. Now to decide which one... eek!
popvulture
Also the spaceship looks lovely love
Epicentre

Here’s mine with JP4 & 6 and it’s super sturdy. You won’t have to worry at all.
thispoison
Must admit I'm a big fan of them and the only issue I'd look out for is to make sure the bolts are tight. They do need rechecking once the temperature has balanced, then they are great.
popvulture
Fantastic. Also I must say that this thread is turning into a high potency GAS source Mr. Green
GuyaGuy
Are you guys playing/programing while on standing on ladders and squatting on the floor?
thispoison
GuyaGuy wrote:
Are you guys playing/programing while on standing on ladders and squatting on the floor?

Fair point there.

I basically use the Jaspers more for keyboard storage, moving anything I'm using at any point in time into the centre of the room (where there are Quikloks and X-stands to allow playing and programming). Space is definitely an issue..
Ranxerox
I have a four tier. You have to ensure you've tightened the knobs enough on the higher tier cross bars or they will swivel round and dump your keyboard overboard - had that happen to my Prophet 5 a couple of times soon after I got the stand. Luckily no harm was done, and I learned my lesson :-)
BugBrand
thispoison wrote:
I basically use the Jaspers more for keyboard storage, moving anything I'm using at any point in time into the centre of the room ..

Ah, that's interesting - I got a Jaspers stand and couldn't for the life of me get it set up in a way where I felt comfortable with where the keyboards sat for actually playing. Everyone always sings their praises but I haven't clicked at all with them.
popvulture
Ranxerox wrote:
You have to ensure you've tightened the knobs enough on the higher tier cross bars or they will swivel round and dump your keyboard overboard

That's precisely the bad scenario I was envisioning when I saw em. So if you get them tight enough, there's no worry?
estin
Do the support arms clamp around the round cross tube? If so use some fiber grip carbon assembly compound between the two surfaces. Its a gritty gel designed to stop movement or rotation of clamp connections. Great stuff.
Ranxerox
popvulture wrote:
Ranxerox wrote:
You have to ensure you've tightened the knobs enough on the higher tier cross bars or they will swivel round and dump your keyboard overboard

That's precisely the bad scenario I was envisioning when I saw em. So if you get them tight enough, there's no worry?

Yes, once they are tight enough they will stay that way- they don't loosen over time.

After tightening, lean your weight on the brackets to ensure there's no movement before emplacing their precious cargo... that's what I should have done the first time!
jonne74
I have a 3-tier Jasper A-frame. Very solid with an SH-5, Juno-106 and King Korg. I've added some shelves below the bottom frame with even more equipment.
Seaweed Sound
Jaspers is the shiznit.. it's a bit pricey importing it and adding extra accessories/arms but it's a solid investment
Sir Ruff
BugBrand wrote:
thispoison wrote:
I basically use the Jaspers more for keyboard storage, moving anything I'm using at any point in time into the centre of the room ..

Ah, that's interesting - I got a Jaspers stand and couldn't for the life of me get it set up in a way where I felt comfortable with where the keyboards sat for actually playing. Everyone always sings their praises but I haven't clicked at all with them.

Yes. The lack of quick release bolts (like on the old Ultimate stands) makes these an absolute PIA to setup (I have near PTSD from the sound of the hex key dropping on the floor repeatedly). Especially if you're someone like me who likes to rearrange things often. The support arms also require physical strength to pull off from the bars (if the plastic bracket doesn't snap on your fingers first). Really poorly designed from a musician's standpoint.

Unfortunately, they are the only option out there today, so if you need a racked setup then you just have to accept it. And fortunately once it IS setup, it is sturdy (unless of your you don't tighten enough and then, stuff starts swinging down d'oh! )
coolshirtdotjpg
I have a HS-60 on mine, which is basically a juno 106, but with speakers, so it is way heavier. It's fine, but I keep it on the bottom row. I keep an Ensoniq ESQ-1 above it, which is not lightweight either. It doesn't seem to have any problems handling those. I keep a DX-21 is on top, but that doesn't weigh much.
venus_3036
Hoping for some advice on Jaspers stands and adjusting the depth of them - i'm looking at a 3 tier stand with adjustable max depth of 70cm - ideally i'd keep the depth to 50cm as i have a narrow room.. does anyone have any recommendations on the stability at varying depths? I have a couple 61 key synths i'd like to put on, one fairly heavy (20kg) the other more standard I suppose. I sent a query to Jaspers but their response did not give much guidance.
strettara
Here ya go:

I mean, unless you're living on the equator, in which case it should of course be sideways and I apologise.
Dave Kendall
By depth, I assume you mean front to back ? ( the distance between the uprights at the bottom of the "A" ?)

Jaspers stands will take some seriously heavy stuff if you use horizontal bars on the front and the back.

The main weakness is if you only use a single horizontal bar with a couple of support arms to hold a keyboard. In that scenario, you are relying entirely on the tightness of the hex bolts that keep the support arms at the correct angle, and the bolts that secure the horizontal bar into the "T" shaped pieces that hold them onto the sides (the "A ").
Adding more support bars doesn't really help much, as you still have basically 2 bolts stopping the horizontal bar from tipping over and depositing your keyboard on the floor.
(yes - a Kurzweil K2600X * nearly * did that to me years ago - lesson learned! )

If you use Horizontal bars front and back, it will be very stable, as long as it's not too tall, and if the depth is 50cm or more. If resting against a wall, even better.

Jaspers stands are really very good, as long as you don't rely too much on the bolts to stop things rotating. Something like a Nord electro 73 will be fine with just the two support bars on one front horizontal bar. For anything heavier, extra horizontal back bars is the way to go for peace of mind, as the rear of the support bars rest on them, stopping them rotating.
tioJim
Sir Ruff wrote:
PIA to setup (I have near PTSD from the sound of the hex key dropping on the floor repeatedly). Especially if you're someone like me who likes to rearrange things often.

Hahahaha, so true. I ended up strapping the hex key to my wrist smile

Jaspers stuff is awesome. Extremely robust and solid but yes at the cost of a quick setup and any subsequent tinkering.

I've added cable ties to supports that I fear could tip forward. Maximum weights are specified on the website.

My A-frame isn't extended to the full depth, it's at about 60cm, and doesn't effect stability at all. There is a cut-off point though as they're slightly lop-sided triangles so beyond a limit they'll be a bit tip-backward-y.

Here's my Jaspers rig. The monitor is a little high and I might actually fit the top bar to the rear support which will bring all the top row down and back a little.

[/img]
Randy
If you really want a stand that will hold nearly anything, you could always make your own, which is what I did. I could not find a stand that I was confident would hold an 88 Rhodes and at least two other 88-key, weighted-action controllers, so I used some pipe (not tube) from the local builder supply, and a bunch of these:

http://www.alvinindustrial.com/product.asp?ProductTypeID=3

You should be able to find key Clamps (or Kee Klamps or whatever) anywhere in the world. Considering the price of the Jasper hardware, making your own is an interesting idea. I believe the stand I made is rated to hold nearly 2000 pounds.
venus_3036
Appreciate the detailed responses to my question - they do seem like a solid bet then smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2