MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DSG envelopes and stuff (R*S Euro DUSG Mk2)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author DSG envelopes and stuff (R*S Euro DUSG Mk2)
merchant
Hey folks smile

I've got a lovely 6U of R*S Serge, considering swapping out TWS+ for the Equal Power mixer but that's another story...

Coming from Maths and more trad ADSRs etc. I'm finding the envelopes on the R*S DUSG Mk2 a little...different. I'm finding it tricky to get punchy envelopes with a nice exponential tail, and in general it doesn't do what I think it'll do. Have tried both sides on most experiments. Been using a Mordax Data and my ears to test, but maybe I'm doing something wrong?
the bad producer
To get log/exp envelopes patch the output back into VC input, it's linear by default
merchant
the bad producer wrote:
To get log/exp envelopes patch the output back into VC input, it's linear by default


Makes sense, thanks!

Any other tips for the DSG? The available docs are a bit sparse.

EDIT: Re-reading http://www.serge-fans.com/wiz_cv_trig.htm has the exp feedback trick. Will go over this stuff again.
luketeaford
There is also this resource on Carbon 111 that will give you some tips and point you to still more Serge resources: http://www.carbon111.com/alphabet1.html

Doug Lynner has done a few videos on Serge modules like positive slew and DTG that share similar functionality to the DSG so some of those patches will work or can be adapted to DSG.

I think Todd Barton has a few tutorials just on the DSG, but also his Soundplex is a custom Serge panel with a Buchla Easel keyboard in a little suitcase-- just listening to those videos should give you some idea of its capabilities. thumbs up
merchant
luketeaford wrote:
There is also this resource on Carbon 111 that will give you some tips and point you to still more Serge resources: http://www.carbon111.com/alphabet1.html

Doug Lynner has done a few videos on Serge modules like positive slew and DTG that share similar functionality to the DSG so some of those patches will work or can be adapted to DSG.

I think Todd Barton has a few tutorials just on the DSG, but also his Soundplex is a custom Serge panel with a Buchla Easel keyboard in a little suitcase-- just listening to those videos should give you some idea of its capabilities. thumbs up


Cheers, yes Todd's videos have already inspired smile

carbon111 seems to be down but hopefully it will be back soon.

One thing I really like with the DSG is how you can "smear" the envelopes so gates coming in quickly don't trigger audible notes, until the envelope shape is changed to allow them to be audible. This is obviously possible with other EGs, I just really like the way the DSG does it. Possible to sort of hide a sequence and then reveal it.
bluedonkey
This though ist just about dusg has a lot of interesting stuff about patching a serge

http://www.carbon111.com/serge/creature_manual.pdf
merchant
Quick update: finally grokked the relationship between the Expo switches for rise and fall, and what looks like the CV attenuverter for rise and fall. The CV attenuverter actively changes the kind of curve you can achieve even when no CV is patched.

Not exactly clear on the difference between the two "on" expo switch positions, but one seems to be just a slightly different scaling of the curve.

Using a scope it's easy to see, just requires slightly diff expectations from other Euro modules. Some docs would be nice as the R*S modules are quite different to the 4U counterparts.

Anyway, now happily enveloping away, thanks for the help folks thumbs up
merchant
I can finally articulate what I was on about with the "smearing" - on my unit the trigger doesn't retrigger the envelope if the envelope ends after the trigger comes in. This is different from my Doepfer A-140, and might trip up people who want to use the DUSG as a typical envelope generator. Maybe I'm missing something or have a faulty unit, but that's what it seems to do. It can be used for musical effect, just doesn't behave as you might expect.
cygmu
merchant wrote:
I can finally articulate what I was on about with the "smearing" - on my unit the trigger doesn't retrigger the envelope if the envelope ends after the trigger comes in. This is different from my Doepfer A-140, and might trip up people who want to use the DUSG as a typical envelope generator. Maybe I'm missing something or have a faulty unit, but that's what it seems to do. It can be used for musical effect, just doesn't behave as you might expect.


Yes, that's normal: DUSGs will not retrigger, using the trigger input, until the cycle has finished. The non-retriggering behaviour lets you use the DUSG as a clock divider or subharmonic generator.

The information in this post: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1813553#1813553 is available in a few places online. It's worth a read for patching ideas.

[Edit: Oh, haha, just noticed that the patching ideas thread got bumped recently too, so much for my secret encyclopaedic list of useful posts]
merchant
Heh, yeah noticed that one, but thanks for the useful context. Crazy how these things are related, one of the pleasures of alternative systems like Serge.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group