MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How to Connect a Eurorack to Hardware Synthesizer with Midi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How to Connect a Eurorack to Hardware Synthesizer with Midi
dronic
So I've been having fun with my modules and I want to be able to enter the madness into my OB6. This is fun!
The OB6 doesnt have cv but it has Midi, and through its Midi 'Continous Controllers' CC there are lots of parameters that can be tweaked and modulated.
I have been able to tweak those parameters from my Squarp pyramid, so I suppose it can be done from a modular, if the CV out of the Eurorack are converted to Midi.
Does anyone has any experience in doing that? with any Midi synthesizer,
Any module to recommend?
ranix
I use a beatstep pro sometimes to convert a clock from my modular into a midi clock, to sync external devices to the modular if I start a sequence there and want to keep it as the master.

I also have a quantizer which outputs midi note data when it receives incoming pitch CV, but I don't know of one that does that in euro format
Dave Peck
You are trying to control a midi synth using various analog continuous CV signals coming from your Euro modular, so you need a CV TO MIDI module (as opposed to a MIDI to CV module).

MIDI to CV is more common, but there are still quite a few to choose from. Check modulargrid.net or just a Google search on "CV TO MIDI MODULE" turns up lots.
dronic
Yes a CV to Midi module, but does anyone here have any experience with one?
There are two Dopefer ones, one Analogie solutions and one Analog systems but I havent seen any video that show exactly how they work and if converting CV to CC messages of choice is achievable
TheMentat
The squarp pyramid has CV inputs. Perhaps there’s a way to use it to convert some CV inputs to midi?
TheMentat
Looks like it’s possible:

In assign mode, you simply plug in the patch cable to the input, and follow the prompts. You can even record the inputs!

http://squarp.net/modeassign
ersatzplanet
You can get a CV to MIDI CC converter. Here are two good ones:

DSC
That is exactly why I came up with the 60/60 concept!
http://millionmachinemarch.com/2018/04/02/60-knobs-60-jacks/

dronic
[quote="ersatzplanet"]You can get a CV to MIDI CC converter. Here are two good ones:

Have you tried any?

From the pictures, I cant see how I can tell to which midi CC the cv should be going to!
dronic
TheMentat wrote:
Looks like it’s possible:

In assign mode, you simply plug in the patch cable to the input, and follow the prompts. You can even record the inputs!

http://squarp.net/modeassign

True, I should try it, I have the Pyramid, but there is only one modulation CV
ersatzplanet
[quote="dronic"]
ersatzplanet wrote:
You can get a CV to MIDI CC converter. Here are two good ones:

Have you tried any?

From the pictures, I cant see how I can tell to which midi CC the cv should be going to!

I have the Doepfer A-192-1 and an old A-190 in my rig along with 4 Kenton Pro-solo external MIDI to CV converters.

On the A-192-1 you either set the internal dip switch to choose from a set of pre-defined mappings, or you can use their editor to assign the settings for each of the 16 jacks. The editor is a PC version and I have little experience with it. I use mine now to run my Nord Modular G2 and have plans to dedicate it to run my Axoloti board as soon as I make a module out of it. The presets built in are pretty flexible but both the Nord and Axo can be made to use any CC command you want so it is never a problem. It has 16 inputs that are all live. This unit is basically a Pocket Control made into a module. There are some restrictions with it - it only sees positive voltages between 0-5V and ignores all the rest. That A-192-1 is no longer in production but I got mine from Analogue Haven for $175 and they still have them in stock.

Here is the current preset chart:

The ADDAC221 does 10 inputs at once but can store 9 presets of your design (using their editor program) and can send to multiple channels at the same time (the A-192-1 can on some presets and with the editor). It has 8 channels with offset knobs and bi-polar switches. It uses a USB connector or it can use a TRS to MIDI DIN adaptor cable. It is more powerful than the A-192-1 but also cost over twice as much at $399. I have heard many good reviews of this unit. Andre makes quality stuff at ADDAC.
ranix
that's pretty sick DSC
reekster
I use a be atstep pro but just added an FH-1 and two expanders. Both are great
dronic
[quote="ersatzplanet"][quote="dronic"][quote="ersatzplanet"]You can get a CV to MIDI CC converter. Here are two good ones:

Thanx for all the details!

I guess the Dopefer is not very practical (connection to a pc!!)
the Addac one seems more adapted but expensive
ersatzplanet
dronic wrote:
I guess the Dopefer is not very practical (connection to a pc!!)
the Addac one seems more adapted but expensive

You never need to connect it to the PC unless you want to program it specifically for you particular MIDI synth. If your MIDI synth allows you to map its parameters to CC commands of your choice, then all is golden. There are plenty of choices in the Doepfer module's internal maps that are very useful the whole CC available range is broken down to 16 adjacent command at a time and the same commands over 16 different channels (like volume and pan etc). . I haven't looked at the OB-6 MIDI implementation chart but it might have some useful stuff.
erenod
I'm using Shuttle Control, works like a charm, very easy to set up. And i also use it as power source, which is nice to have for a very small starter system smile
gentle_attack
erenod wrote:
I'm using Shuttle Control, works like a charm, very easy to set up. And i also use it as power source, which is nice to have for a very small starter system smile

That's the opposite of what the OP is trying to do though!

I personally, don't really understand the thought process of CV->MIDI conversion. Even though MATHS or other logic/mixer modules can create complex modulations (when you have LFOS and Envelopes firing), I feel like you could just as easily come up similar stuff using the LFO designer on an Octatrack (or it's 3 LFOS modulating each other) or design modulations in a DAW.

If you are saying "but I don't like DAW" or "I don't have an Octatrack" maybe the CV->MIDI convertor IS for you, but it seems like a very expensive solution. IMO, if you are cross modulating 2 or even 3 LFOs, you are most likely looking for "interesting chaos", which can probably be explored in the MIDI domain, and not try to use CV in the MIDI realm.
ersatzplanet
gentle_attack wrote:
I personally, don't really understand the thought process of CV->MIDI conversion. Even though MATHS or other logic/mixer modules can create complex modulations (when you have LFOS and Envelopes firing), I feel like you could just as easily come up similar stuff using the LFO designer on an Octatrack (or it's 3 LFOS modulating each other) or design modulations in a DAW.

If you are saying "but I don't like DAW" or "I don't have an Octatrack" maybe the CV->MIDI convertor IS for you, but it seems like a very expensive solution. IMO, if you are cross modulating 2 or even 3 LFOs, you are most likely looking for "interesting chaos", which can probably be explored in the MIDI domain, and not try to use CV in the MIDI realm.

One of the main reasons for CV to MIDI CC conversion (verses note conversion) is to integrate the MIDI synth into a larger analogue patch, like a self playing patch. Also with CV to MIDI CC you can use MIDI controlled effects to a much higher degree.

The big limitations of most CV to MIDI CC converters is the resolution is still 128 steps, and the speed is sometimes compromised. Most of these modules have simple processors scanning multiple inputs and if your CV inputs are complicated. or are moving too fast, or have fast elements that happen while the processor is scanning other inputs, they will be lost and won't be seen.

I use mine primarily to use non-keyboard controllers with synths that don't normally have alternate inputs for them. With a CV to MIDI CC converter it is quite easy to add a joystick or FSR controller to a synth that doesn't have it to add real-time control. I bought mine with the idea to use it with an Axoloti board I have to integrate it easier with my modular rig.
dronic
[quote="gentle_attack"]
erenod wrote:

Exactly, I have some complex modulations happening in my modular and I would like my OB6 to benefit from them, the synth has a beautiful sound and polyphony but is limited in terms of modulations, certainly in comparison to the modular possibilities, it also allows to connect the synth to other things that might be happening elsewhere on the modular.
I guess an octatrack could do the job, but I dont have one, and I had a hard time with its small knobs and screen, I prefer the one button one function approach of the modular.

After starting using modular synthesizers I realized how much we are using our analog hardware synthesizers in a very primitive simple way. So many crazy interesting things happens when you can modulate all the aspects of the synths, and they are all in theory accessible through Midi cc in the case of the OB6, so Im looking for the best way to get into it. I feel using only a keyboard with velocity and perhaps aftertouch only lets you at the surface of possibiilities, so many things to explore under the hood but you dont have immediate access to them!
gentle_attack
dronic wrote:
gentle_attack wrote:

Exactly, I have some complex modulations happening in my modular and I would like my OB6 to benefit from them, the synth has a beautiful sound and polyphony but is limited in terms of modulations, certainly in comparison to the modular possibilities, it also allows to connect the synth to other things that might be happening elsewhere on the modular.
I guess an octatrack could do the job, but I dont have one, and I had a hard time with its small knobs and screen, I prefer the one button one function approach of the modular.

After starting using modular synthesizers I realized how much we are using our analog hardware synthesizers in a very primitive simple way. So many crazy interesting things happens when you can modulate all the aspects of the synths, and they are all in theory accessible through Midi cc in the case of the OB6, so Im looking for the best way to get into it. I feel using only a keyboard with velocity and perhaps aftertouch only lets you at the surface of possibiilities, so many things to explore under the hood but you dont have immediate access to them!

I agree wholeheartedly! Before the Digitone came out I started using an Octatrack to sequence a Volca FM with CCs. Even though it has very limited CC access, doing stuff like holding a note for a whole bar and using trigless locks on (or shooting LFOs at) the Algorithm parameter (or the other 5 "good" CCs) and was getting some crazy results.

I think there are tons of people out there thinking the same way you do (which is the second reason after "desk space" that they make modules of almost all their synths)... people like using alternative controllers, complex sequencers (event processors might be more accurate) like Elektron/Cirklon, or drawing intense CCs from DAW, to really push what these noisemakers can do, to the limit.

Perhaps you do want to to explore CV->Midi, but I was simply trying to at least mention that if you are feeling really enlightened with all of the amazing new things modular can do, don't forget that the are Sequencers (and of course MAX/MSP devices which is a whole nother universe) that have been very "modular" all along, that fit nice and tight in the MIDI universe the second you turn them on.
dronic
[quote="gentle_attack"][quote="dronic"]
gentle_attack wrote:

Perhaps you do want to to explore CV->Midi, but I was simply trying to at least mention that if you are feeling really enlightened with all of the amazing new things modular can do, don't forget that the are Sequencers (and of course MAX/MSP devices which is a whole nother universe) that have been very "modular" all along, that fit nice and tight in the MIDI universe the second you turn them on.

What kind of sequencers comes to mind?
I have the Squarp pyramid which is nice, but not so much craziness there, its LFOs are very primitive and you cant have an lfo modlate another one for example, and I found it not the most pleasurable thing to work with, but it has memory (unlike modular) and its practical.
I dont like using computers for this kind of explorations, I already spend way too much time looking at a screen for my other musical activities .
What else? An octratrack? Do you find it close to a modular in terms or fun and playability?
hw408
Sync-wise, I was able to use Beatsteppro midi out into a sync box, that starts/stops a 909 and a (very glitchy) 606, and the BSP sequencer gates out playing notes into Braids and BSP drum sequencer playing modular drums. and used a BSP drum track playing 16th note triggers to run Zularic Repetitor clock in.

This was pretty exciting to see work for the first time.

Still glued to the “what modular sequencer for riffs” type of threads.. love those. thumbs up
Grumpypanda69
Mutant Brain from Hexinverter will be out in a few weeks.
Paranormal Patroler
Enjoy the show!
dronic
we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2