MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pit Modular Case & Knurlies
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Pit Modular Case & Knurlies
jdvmi00
I have the Pit Modular Structure EP-420. I love the case but absolutely hate the sliding nuts and non standard M2.5 screws/nuts.

I would really like to use Knurlies with this case but it seems those are only M3 screws. Is there anyway to convert the case to M3 rails that don't use those damn sliding nuts?
lisa
M2.5 Knurlies will be made this summer. SlayerBadger!
cptnal
I vaguely remember reading about someone modding fixed pitch rails into a Pittsburgh case. You'll probably find it in the Pittsburgh cases thread.
jfb
lisa wrote:
M2.5 Knurlies will be made this summer. SlayerBadger!


Really?! That's awesome!

I do know that the new PM case on display at Sweetwater's Gear Fest was a rail insert instead of their usual sliding nuts. It was still m2.5 screws.
jdvmi00
lisa wrote:
M2.5 Knurlies will be made this summer. SlayerBadger!


Nice, I guess it would make it a tad better dealing with the sliding nuts.
danishchairs
M2.5 Knurlies won’t help with the Pittsburgh Structure 420 case. The nuts (and included screws) are 4-40, not M2.5.

From the Pittsburgh site:
danishchairs
jdvmi00 wrote:
I have the Pit Modular Structure EP-420. I love the case but absolutely hate the sliding nuts and non standard M2.5 screws/nuts.

I would really like to use Knurlies with this case but it seems those are only M3 screws. Is there anyway to convert the case to M3 rails that don't use those damn sliding nuts?

Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. thumbs up
jdvmi00
danishchairs wrote:

Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. thumbs up


Details please? Where did you source the rails?
SCOOBA_TANK
jdvmi00 wrote:
danishchairs wrote:

Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. thumbs up


Details please? Where did you source the rails?


+1 on the source lead please!
danishchairs
SCOOBA_TANK wrote:
jdvmi00 wrote:
danishchairs wrote:

Yes, you can replace the sliding nuts with M3 threaded strips. I did it recently and just installed my modules into an EP-420 case using Knurlies. thumbs up


Details please? Where did you source the rails?


+1 on the source lead please!

You bet! I got mine from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalog Id=10001&langId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=64T9880&storeId=1019 4

Note: These are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts. I used the Vector rails that came with the EP-420.

I could only find the M3 threaded strips in 84 HP length. For the EP-420 case, I bought 10 of them. Then I had to cut some of them and file the ends. In my case, 4 of the rails have two threaded strips (84 HP and 56 HP), and the other 2 rails have three strips (84 HP, 28 HP and 28 HP). You have to do a little arithmetic. Measure twice (or three times!), cut once! (Then file a lot. spinning )

Here’s the technical data sheet for this threaded strip:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1812087.pdf?_ga=2.252558153.11785405 72.1530110843-828779953.1482769379
lisa
danishchairs wrote:
M2.5 Knurlies won’t help with the Pittsburgh Structure 420 case. The nuts (and included screws) are 4-40, not M2.5.

Aaaah. Crap. sad banana
jdvmi00
danishchairs wrote:

You bet! I got mine from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalog Id=10001&langId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=64T9880&storeId=1019 4

Note: These are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts. I used the Vector rails that came with the EP-420.

I could only find the M3 threaded strips in 84 HP length. For the EP-420 case, I bought 10 of them. Then I had to cut some of them and file the ends. In my case, 4 of the rails have two threaded strips (84 HP and 56 HP), and the other 2 rails have three strips (84 HP, 28 HP and 28 HP). You have to do a little arithmetic. Measure twice (or three times!), cut once! (Then file a lot. spinning )

Here’s the technical data sheet for this threaded strip:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1812087.pdf?_ga=2.252558153.11785405 72.1530110843-828779953.1482769379


Awesome, thanks so much, just ordered 20 strips to replace both of my PM cases. Now I need to order a bunch of Knurlies. Super excited to be done with those damn sliding nuts!
behndy
it's always interesting to me, the severe divide on opinion for slidy nuttsals. i haaaaaate the ide of modules not being flush with each other, so love slides. but i get why some people prefer a system where you don't have to count out ahead of time or move an extra module or two to add something new.

but anybody that dislikes Knurlies is just WRONG.

ALL. THE KINDS. OF WRONG. POSSIBLE.
SCOOBA_TANK
danishchairs wrote:
You bet! I got mine from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalog Id=10001&langId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=64T9880&storeId=1019 4

Note: These are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts. I used the Vector rails that came with the EP-420.

I could only find the M3 threaded strips in 84 HP length. For the EP-420 case, I bought 10 of them. Then I had to cut some of them and file the ends. In my case, 4 of the rails have two threaded strips (84 HP and 56 HP), and the other 2 rails have three strips (84 HP, 28 HP and 28 HP). You have to do a little arithmetic. Measure twice (or three times!), cut once! (Then file a lot. spinning )

Here’s the technical data sheet for this threaded strip:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1812087.pdf?_ga=2.252558153.11785405 72.1530110843-828779953.1482769379


HELL YES!!!! Thanks!!! Ordering some now! Can’t wait to get these installed and finally have the Knurlies back in action!!!
337is
M2.5 Knurlies for LZX Vessels? YES PLEASE!!

PS: It's summer. thumbs up
bommelito
I replaced the sliding nuts in my Pittsburgh Move 104 with threaded 3mm strips, too.
And, since I had only 84HP strips, I also had to cut another strip to fill up the rails.

Some tips for those who want to do it:

1. insert the cut segment so that the trimmed end is at the end of the rail.
Like this, you avoid problems with the hole spacing from one strip segment to the next.

2. the strips are thinner than the rail slots. Therefore, the strips might sit a bit slanted in the slots. This can cause problems when you install the first module (the screws won't find the holes).
In this case, simply turn a (empty) screw in the middle of the strip and tighten it. The strip segment will come up and sit flush in the rail.

3. When cutting a strip, fix it to another strip by 2 screws. Thus, you have a clear mark where to cut, and the spacing between the holes will be perfect.

jdvmi00
bommelito wrote:
I replaced the sliding nuts in my Pittsburgh Move 104 with threaded 3mm strips, too.
And, since I had only 84HP strips, I also had to cut another strip to fill up the rails.

Some tips for those who want to do it:

1. insert the cut segment so that the trimmed end is at the end of the rail.
Like this, you avoid problems with the hole spacing from one strip segment to the next.

2. the strips are thinner than the rail slots. Therefore, the strips might sit a bit slanted in the slots. This can cause problems when you install the first module (the screws won't find the holes).
In this case, simply turn a (empty) screw in the middle of the strip and tighten it. The strip segment will come up and sit flush in the rail.

3. When cutting a strip, fix it to another strip by 2 screws. Thus, you have a clear mark where to cut, and the spacing between the holes will be perfect.


Thanks so much for these tips!
Nutritional Zero
Sliding nuts are horrendous.
snadge
Nutritional Zero wrote:
Sliding nuts are horrendous.
I prefer them as some of my modules ~steal~ HP.

For anyone that wants to know the pittsburgh square nuts are 4.6mm, M3 square nuts are 5.5mm, I have just finished filing adjacent flats on 150 of the little buggers.

If you are going this route get stainless steel ones, the zinc ones will definitely clog your file up.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group