MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Moog One
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Author The Moog One
Sinamsis
nectarios
Ha the A6 has a mod matrix of sorts. I mean it has a list of mod sources at the destination that you can assign. But a mod matrix to me is best organized by mod sources not destinations. And even better when there’s a long list of mod slots where you can see what has been routed where. I guess I also failed to mention the assign source and destination buttons which are amazing. Certainly not a Moog invention. But I love having that in a synth. Moral did a variation of this too on the 008 and it was great. I’m not knocking the A6. I love it. But the One is easier and faster because of those features.

Regarding price that’s a slippery slope. I hesitate to talk about value etc. BUT while I disagree that Moog charges double, I would say that, particularly when it comes to their flagships, they retail for significantly more than they go for second hand. I’m sure the 16 voice will be going for $5-6k US on the used market in the next year. I’d be surprised it dropped much lower. But Moog comes at a premium.

It’s funny you mention the effects. People on GS are trashing them. I’ve not played much with them yet but the reverbs and delays sound great to me. I agree about recording dry usually. But honestly sometimes I commit the audio later in the process and I could see doing that, particularly if the patch involves modulating the effects.
v8pete
nectarios wrote:

The One has no post filter mixer, they had to cut corner for the cost(!) apparently.

Is there a block diagram of the Moog One Voice architecture anywhere? I had a look through the latest manual, but although it appears nicely written, there is a distinct lack of diagrams, especially for such a complex synth.
mmp
Can you route things on the One such that you could get the dry signal and just the effects as two separate audio streams?
Sinamsis
v8pete wrote:
nectarios wrote:

The One has no post filter mixer, they had to cut corner for the cost(!) apparently.

Is there a block diagram of the Moog One Voice architecture anywhere? I had a look through the latest manual, but although it appears nicely written, there is a distinct lack of diagrams, especially for such a complex synth.

Regarding what Nectarios said, his point is oscillators can’t bypass the filters. I believe this is true. But there is mix control of the SVF vs LPF. You also cannot blend in the multiple modes of the SVF at the same time.

Regarding a signal flow diagram I’ve not been able to find one which I think would be helpful, particularly on where the inserts fall in the signal chain. I do believe they’re between filter and effects though it would be nice if it wasn’t fixed and could be moved around in the signal chain (ha I know that’s not the case here). The inserts can be used to take individual voices out for recording. Again where they fall in the signal chain would tell us if they’re wet or dry. But either way, if you can have a direct out for a voice, you could keep the voice dry and put your processing on the master channel, allowing you to record wet and dry.
nectarios
Sinamsis wrote:
v8pete wrote:
nectarios wrote:

Regarding what Nectarios said, his point is oscillators can’t bypass the filters. I believe this is true. But there is mix control of the SVF vs LPF. You also cannot blend in the multiple modes of the SVF at the same time.

This. Actually its pre filter mix an yes to bypass the filters like on the A6.
Correct also on not being able to mix the multiple modes on the state variable, like on the A6.
These things where omitted to reduce cost apparently. To be honest the option to mix the low pass and state variable, will cover the essentials.
Not having the ability to by pass the filters, is the important bit and they didn't include. A small detail that would add a lot to the synth engine.
Sinamsis
nectarios
There’s a mix knob that goes between SVF and LPF. You’re saying this is the predicted mix? In hindsight I guess that’s true, because to run it in series you need to have it all the way to SVF and route everything to the SVF. I guess in reality why does it matter? I’m not being a smartass. I’m just not seeing a real difference. If you take your mixed oscillators and route them to the filter and mix either before you hit the filters or after, in day to day use what’s the difference? That you won’t be driving the filter as hard when you’re running in parallel? Not that it’s a small thing. But past that I can’t think of anything.
nectarios
I am saying that its possible to mix between the low pass and the state variable, so even if the actual filter outs of the SVF on the One, are not mixed like on the A6, you can at least mix the two different filters (LPF and SVF).

As for the oscillators by passing the filters, like I said above, its very important for example when you want a bassline with resonance and filter movement, but not loose the bottom end. So you mix a sine wave that by passes the filters and its always there, in phase with the VCO you are using as well. I also don't like the Moog filter's behavior with resonance. Too much gain/bottom end loss.

Does the One have gain compensated, resonance behaviour?
Sinamsis
nectarios
I think I misunderstood you. I’m with you on all those. And bypassing the filter is a big benefit on the A6.

That said I do think the position of where the mixer for the two filters sits is a valid question. In general a flow diagram for a synth of this complexity would be really helpful.

I don’t think the resonance is gain compensated on the One. I’ll check later but I’m pretty sure you end up with the typical loss of low end to some degree.
mmp
That is a nice feature on the Yamaha CS series where you can add a sine osc back in post filter. I guess it’s time to read the manual on the Moog One and figure out exactly what you can do with the audio I/O on it.
Panason
I just noticed the Moog System 3p is available for £40K on KMR. The Moog One is a bargain! Dead Banana
bkbirge
'nother all One demo for you all...
[s]http://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/moogonetest4[/s]
seank
here's my moog one control station i built while waiting for my 16 voice to arrive. the board is a temple audio duo 34 with input/output jacks, ac module and midi jack. it's all powered by a voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus and wired with george l's cable. the mp-201 will controll all the expression/sustain inputs on the one and the two ep-3 pedals are for the foogers.

umma gumma
nice!!

re: the demo#4 and the pedalboard
oranginafiend
seank wrote:
here's my moog one control station i built while waiting for my 16 voice to arrive. the board is a temple audio duo 34 with input/output jacks, ac module and midi jack. it's all powered by a voodoo labs pedal power 2 plus and wired with george l's cable. the mp-201 will controll all the expression/sustain inputs on the one and the two ep-3 pedals are for the foogers.

would love to see a video of this in action once you get it in!
XXXEsq
My Moog One 16V arrived a few days ago. I've been super slammed with work, so I've only had maybe 3-4 hours total on it. I just took the main left and right outs into my DAW. Haven't played with the extra audio or cv outs, or even the midi implementation yet.

This thing is a BEAST! I'm very impressed with the depth of programability and the intuitive nature (at least for me) of the UI. One thing I decided to try was just firing it up without reading any of the manual. Not a problem!
Everything I wanted to do, I could figure out. (Yes, I'll RTFM anyway as I'm sure there is stuff in there I want to know...)

The sound is really excellent. It's not as fizzy in the top end as my OB6 (which I like quite a bit regardless), but its got plenty of bottom end. And its really (really!) full sounding, yet I think it will sit in a mix really well. The sound of the direct outs without any effects at all (so its pure analog) is really impressive.

I love the new oscillator design. Most of my initial tinkering has been just a single oscillator with waveshape mods from different sources. Very nice and far beyond your standard PWM.

I'll be diving deeper into it this weekend. Looking forward to interfacing it into my Modular Wall and using my Engine sequencer to drive various combos of voices.

In closing, this thing is expensive, but I am (thus far) more than pleased with the purchase.
bc3
paults wrote:
Quote:
they do keep the device cooler, and are often easier to replace , and for that I prefer them.

No, and HELL NO in this instance. This is a full custom supply, with a custom cord. If you are lucky, the replacement will only be $129.

BTW: it has 7 fans in it, not 'a fan'.

The ONLY reason it's external is to bypass UL/CE registration. But hmmm...when I designed the MG-1 power supply in 1981, it's internal. We paid for UL/FCC registration. it's called "part of doing business".

The irony is: it's 10x EASIER to pass UL/CE today that 20-30 years ago, when using internal supplies. What you do, is buy pre-registered, enclosed supplies, the proper UL VW-1 94-VO rated 600V wire, and a UL registered power

inlet/fuse holder. Slap on some heat shrink and done. Yes, you still have to PAY and submit paperwork, but it's NOT THE SAME as building a supply "from scratch" like in the old days.

It's being cheap and lazy and not thinking about the customer first but yourself (Moog) first.

Protip: if you want to keep things 'cooler', stop putting quad-core Linux computers with 14,000 parts in a synth.

Your comment pretty much sums up why I personally do not and will not support any of your endeavors Paul. Yes you have vast technical knowledge and a history but I believe that your demeanor always comes across as a little snobby and off putting for an electronics designer and manufacture.

The older I get it seems to become more apparent when the engineer forgets about the user and the human interaction with a machine. Your designs have always lacked this for me even when there have been some really great sounds coming out of them (e352). Oh well but luckily there are folks who take other factors into consideration when designing an instrument for the rest of us mere mortals.
Sinamsis
bc3
Ha dude it must be a Richmond thing. BTW if you want to witness fangate in person PM me and I’m sure we could work out a meet up at some point. I already had a buddy in town come check it out. He has one on preorder and was rather unimpressed with the noise. He’s certainly keeping his preorder. I have not done the update yet btw.
bc3
Sinamsis wrote:
bc3
Ha dude it must be a Richmond thing. BTW if you want to witness fangate in person PM me and I’m sure we could work out a meet up at some point. I already had a buddy in town come check it out. He has one on preorder and was rather unimpressed with the noise. He’s certainly keeping his preorder. I have not done the update yet btw.

Hey thanks for the offer but the fan noise or the external power supply has not really bothered me on mine love There are a few bugs here and there but it is to be expected with such an instrument and I think they have been really transparent on a whole with this new product. Looking forward to contributing to the future development of this beautifully crafted new instrument! cool
Sinamsis
bc3 wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:
bc3

Hey thanks for the offer but the fan noise or the external power supply has not really bothered me on mine love There are a few bugs here and there but it is to be expected with such an instrument and I think they have been really transparent on a whole with this new product. Looking forward to contributing to the future development of this beautifully crafted new instrument! cool

Nice, didn't realize you had one already. I've really not noticed most of the bugs except for weird envelope behavior. Also I think I might have noticed some weird timing issues between layers. I had a clocked LFO going on one creating a sharp tremolo effect, and an arpeggiator going on another and they would intermittently start out of sync when changing chords. Ha, might be user error, not sure. Otherwise, I'm getting ready to move the studio so I've moved this down to my living room with a few other pieces of equipment, which has given me a little more time with it. It not only sounds amazing, but has really been a joy to play and to program.

Panason
"A few other pieces of equipment" meh
Sinamsis
Panason wrote:
"A few other pieces of equipment" meh

Ha, I did not fill the second tier of the keyboard stand. So I consider that showing some restraint.
Sinamsis
Quick improv with the modular and the One using the STG Rhodes patch. Sorry for the sloppy playing.

bkbirge
Sinamsis wrote:
Quick improv with the modular and the One using the STG Rhodes patch. Sorry for the sloppy playing.

Nice! Oddly enough I think the MO has made me fall in love with the once hated synth EP sound. The MO's playing dynamics really helps a lot with those kinds of sounds I think, it just feels like a natural instrument.

Here's a few more demos...

This one has electric bass and tr626 along with MO...
[s]https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/moogonetest5[/s]

These others are all 100% MO...
[s]https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/moogonetest6[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/moogonetest7[/s]
 [s]https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/moogonetest8[/s]
Chevron87
I'd love to know how close you can get with the Moog One to the monster sounds you can get from the Memory Moog
Sinamsis
bkbirge
I'd agree, it's just a very dynamic synth. I love playing it. The Wurli preset is nice too. Ha totally not the reason I bought it, but I was surprised by how much I enjoy those patches.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next [all]
Page 36 of 39