MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Moog One
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 [all]
Author The Moog One
filtermod
calaveras wrote:

It's really keeping me from fully realizing my Carpenter-esque Zydeco.

Ok, where can I preorder your album? SlayerBadger!
I need John Carpenter meets Zydeco music in my life!
Sinamsis
tobb
Thanks so much. I have a few more on my channel. Haven't really bothered posting them here as the discussion and demeanor has rivaled GS. Ha, it's certainly a polarizing release. I know some folks returned or sold theirs. There are times where I question if I "deserve" a synth of its vast potential, as I've probably only used it to a fraction of its potential. But I suspect I won't be selling it any time soon. I certainly wouldn't do it because of the gripes others have had. My biggest complaint would be the inability to control background tuning on it, like you can on the A6 for example. I have yet to sell my A6, as it's my only other VCO based poly synth, and I really want to have time with both to decide if there's any sense to having two synths that are so similar on paper. Otherwise I wish they were a little more clear about the signal path, particularly how the inserts fit into the big picture. Perhaps they have at this point, I've been a little out of touch.
calaveras
I'm actually working on a joke black metal album. Doing covers of creepy 80's songs in a black metal style. I've had to get better at guitar at least enough to do a passable metal rendition of Laura Brannigan's "Self Control".

You have heard Synthe-Cumbia right? It's kinda like Zydeco with some stoner shit happening.
Jd1979
Thing of beauty, but I’d prefer a prophet 5
bkbirge
Here's a simple track w/one pass of each..
1. TR626
2. P-bass
3. Moog One

I really like the bass patch on the Moog One, nice stereo spread and suitably juicy....
[s]https://soundcloud.com/bkbirge/ding-dong[/s]
umma gumma
hot diggity dawg!
Audiohub
This is a piece I created entirely on the Moog ONE, no other synths or external FX were employed.

Headphones recommended.
strettara
Well I haven't posted in a synth thread for a long time. And when I had synth gear, it was all modular. But I have to say the Moog One has got me excited. It just looks so playable, fun, flexible and, from what I've heard, sounds great. And it has the sort of authoritative styling that any well made instrument should have, imo.

About price: I play the recorder. Most people associate that instrument with 5 euro pieces of plastic for schoolkids. But an alto recorder in baroque pitch from the Ernst Meyer workshop will cost 3 to 4,000 euro. 8,000 euro for the Moog One doesn't seem expensive to me in terms of what top of the range musical instruments cost.

What inspires me about this instrument is that it really says "instrument". You could dedicate a lot of time to becoming a Moog One player, rather than a keyboards player with a Moog One in his line-up. And if I were ever to get one - which is unlikely in the extreme - it would be my only synth. It would sit in the room next to the recorders and the sheet music stand, with an interface to connect to my laptop for recording, so I could spend years learning and playing it and making lame ambient tracks lol . I'd probably even make a wooden piano style stand for it.

Anyway just thought I'd express my view of the first synth that has excited me for many years. I love what I'm seeing and hearing of this instrument.
Sounds From The Shed
strettara wrote:
Well I haven't posted in a synth thread for a long time. And when I had synth gear, it was all modular. But I have to say the Moog One has got me excited. It just looks so playable, fun, flexible and, from what I've heard, sounds great. And it has the sort of authoritative styling that any well made instrument should have, imo.

About price: I play the recorder. Most people associate that instrument with 5 euro pieces of plastic for schoolkids. But an alto recorder in baroque pitch from the Ernst Meyer workshop will cost 3 to 4,000 euro. 8,000 euro for the Moog One doesn't seem expensive to me in terms of what top of the range musical instruments cost.

What inspires me about this instrument is that it really says "instrument". You could dedicate a lot of time to becoming a Moog One player, rather than a keyboards player with a Moog One in his line-up. And if I were ever to get one - which is unlikely in the extreme - it would be my only synth. It would sit in the room next to the recorders and the sheet music stand, with an interface to connect to my laptop for recording, so I could spend years learning and playing it and making lame ambient tracks lol . I'd probably even make a wooden piano style stand for it.

Anyway just thought I'd express my view of the first synth that has excited me for many years. I love what I'm seeing and hearing of this instrument.

Those Ernst Meyer recorders look really special. I have to admit though having attended numerous school concerts over the years and listening to the kids on their recorders it's an instrument that just brings back torturous memories hihi
dubonaire
strettara wrote:

Interesting post. I had no idea recorders could cost so much, but I'm not surprised. I have a lot of studio gear but I was blown away when I bought my DSI Rev2 because it has that quality. It is an instrument. I think the Moog One has that, and I think the Prophet X has that.

I'm also interested to see you re-enthused about making music.
strettara
dubonaire wrote:

I think I'm remaining on topic if I say that modular had me lost in sound (which was wonderful and I learnt a lot), whereas going back to my acoustic instrument and playing baroque repertoire with friends brought me back to music. I can see how this instrument would marry both of those interests in a very fruitful way for me personally.

Anyway when I finally get my finances sorted out (my real life goal) I'll have a serious think about it... But I am enjoying fantasising about what I could do with it.
Sounds From The Shed
strettara wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

I think I'm remaining on topic if I say that modular had me lost in sound (which was wonderful and I learnt a lot), whereas going back to my acoustic instrument and playing baroque repertoire with friends brought me back to music. I can see how this instrument would marry both of those interests in a very fruitful way for me personally.

Anyway when I finally get my finances sorted out (my real life goal) I'll have a serious think about it... But I am enjoying fantasising about what I could do with it.

It's not the be all and end all, it sounds nice, but there are other less expensive synths that sound better. I think because it's expensive it then becomes something to aspire to, as in you think if you pay more you get better. I think the brand encourages the snob factor and i despise that.

I think my AS Polymath sounds way better, the Moog One is nice and I'm lucky to have one, but being expensive doesn't mean being better, Polymath for the win!

strettara
Sounds From The Shed wrote:
strettara wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

It's not the be all and end all, it sounds nice, but there are other less expensive synths that sound better. I think because it's expensive it then becomes something to aspire to, as in you think if you pay more you get better. I think the brand encourages the snob factor and i despise that.

I think my AS Polymath sounds way better, the Moog One is nice and I'm lucky to have one, but being expensive doesn't mean being better, Polymath for the win!

Tbh, I can't imagine why anyone would give a shit about how anyone else spends their money.
Sounds From The Shed
strettara wrote:
strettara wrote:
dubonaire wrote:

Tbh, I can't imagine why anyone would give a shit about how anyone else spends their money.

Is that a rude reply or am i misreading it, it's been a sunny day here in Northern Ireland and as you do here you avail of a few bevvy's, I was just trying to say that there are alternatives to the moog as are there alternatives to recorders, as you pointed out, and in my experience, the moog is nice but there are also nice alternatives seriously, i just don't get it If I misread it then that's ok , if it was rude, then I'm going to shove that recorder up your arse, no lube, hihi
strettara
Nothing aimed at you, just at the attitude that high end products only appeal to snobs. I encountered that sort of inverted snobbery a lot in the ITM community directed at anyone whose tin whistle cost more than £2.00, or against people who could actually read music or had any sort of musical training. There are lots of reasons for wanting high quality instruments, they are usually more expressive and rewarding to play in so many ways than their cheaper alternatives.

I would never have been interested in a Voyager, which did seem to me way overpriced for what it was. But this gets my juices flowing. It's as simple as that.

Anyway my ass is open for business whenever you want.
Heavenly3lues
I've been enjoying this guy's Moog One videos on Instagram. Here's a longer one from Youtube that he posted today Rockin' Banana!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPIFP3OnXGs
starkaudio
Took delivery of the Moog One about ten days ago.

It's definitely the most complex synth I own and I look forward to continuing to explore all the permutations and shapes I can coax it into. It was a struggle to pay for, and if I just wanted to use it as a sound generation object, there are more frugal ways to reach this level of complexity in sound generation (and higher levels of complexity/flexibility to be had in other systems.)

For me, the appeal of this instrument is that it's a machine with real limitations wrapped in a software framework that (at this points) also has limitations. I can see the end goal of knowing it inside and out and I know it's achievable. I look forward to being at a place with the Moog One that I am with my other hardware synths...where I have internalized the flow of programming and playing it.

There's a place where muscle memory comes into play when using an instrument and some tools I use (such as software) while very useful lack the "box" - a finite set of options a piece of hardware has. For me, there is a satisfaction in being able to say "I feel confident that I know the finite limitations of this system" - to be able to say "I know my instrument."

After ten days, I feel like I can see the edges of the Moog One system or box and while very large in scope...I'll know my instrument one day.

That is what makes the expense worth it for me.

It can sound gorgeous, but so can a single plain sine.

Decide if you want to learn the Moog One instrument, then go for it or not.

Thanks for listening.
dubonaire
Heavenly3lues wrote:
I've been enjoying this guy's Moog One videos on Instagram. Here's a longer one from Youtube that he posted today Rockin' Banana!

that guy is Chris Randall.
dubonaire
double post
Sounds From The Shed
strettara wrote:
Nothing aimed at you, just at the attitude that high end products only appeal to snobs. I encountered that sort of inverted snobbery a lot in the ITM community directed at anyone whose tin whistle cost more than £2.00, or against people who could actually read music or had any sort of musical training. There are lots of reasons for wanting high quality instruments, they are usually more expressive and rewarding to play in so many ways than their cheaper alternatives.

I would never have been interested in a Voyager, which did seem to me way overpriced for what it was. But this gets my juices flowing. It's as simple as that.

I didn't mean to give off that vibe, I have some fairly expensive gear in my shed and sometimes when I do songs someone would rather add up the cost of the gear and quote it back to me, with something like "20k and thats all you can do". Where as the vast majority of my stuff is built around small monos that are my favourite.

I almost feel i have to hide my more expensive gear and not mention it in the comments of how the song was made. Yet I'm a firm advocate of making songs with less powerful synths as it gives a greater sense of achievement.

One guy even said the abuse comes from me buying gear that he had to save years to get. Yet the fucker does not know the sacrifices I made or injuries I suffered to get the cash to buy my gear.

Pisses me off

Anyway your arsehole is safe, and thanks for the interesting insight into recorders.

One of the most funny things is the debates that go on around gear with all these "experts" that haven't even tried, owned or used it. I call them dreamers, I'd hate to be them hihi

I don't post music using the topical instrument in the thread anymore as you get accused of spamming or self promotion. Seems it's better to talk about how shite it is even though you don't own it.
sutekina bipu-on
strettara wrote:

I didn't mean to give off that vibe, I have some fairly expensive gear in my shed and sometimes when I do songs someone would rather add up the cost of the gear and quote it back to me, with something like "20k and thats all you can do". Where as the vast majority of my stuff is built around small monos that are my favourite.

I almost feel i have to hide my more expensive gear and not mention it in the comments of how the song was made. Yet I'm a firm advocate of making songs with less powerful synths as it gives a greater sense of achievement.

One guy even said the abuse comes from me buying gear that he had to save years to get. Yet the fucker does not know the sacrifices I made or injuries I suffered to get the cash to buy my gear.

Pisses me off

Anyway your arsehole is safe, and thanks for the interesting insight into recorders.

One of the most funny things is the debates that go on around gear with all these "experts" that haven't even tried, owned or used it. I call them dreamers, I'd hate to be them hihi

I don't post music using the topical instrument in the thread anymore as you get accused of spamming or self promotion. Seems it's better to talk about how shite it is even though you don't own it.

Have you considered that you suck?
Sounds From The Shed
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
strettara wrote:

Pisses me off

Have you considered that you suck?

Why would I even contemplate that? Don’t be silly!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 [all]
Page 38 of 38