MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stuck in time...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Stuck in time...
hippo1
(Less a cohesive argument, more a rant...!)

I'm just a stick in the mud; becoming an old fart.

My 'fashionista' is showing, as I growl about facelifts to longstanding companies. I now have a TON of old PittMod modules, replete in '50s mad-scientist' vibe; now coexisting with their LifeForms, all happy-go-lucky Y2K faceplates. Add to that TipTop's (well, sorta recent) re-do with all that yellow/green 'Save the Planet!'-looking disguise, looking DEFINITELY outta place next to their old graphics.

At least, Doepfer manufactures certain faceplates in either 'vintage' or standard (silver) fronts...

Pah! Get off my lawn, you kids!!

(happy continued (non-matching) wiggling!)
cptnal
Yeah! Grrrr! ...what? hmmm.....

Something about faceplates...
sduck
Go 5U. Nothing ever changes there.

sad banana SlayerBadger!
leftbracket
sduck wrote:

sad banana SlayerBadger!

Better yet, get something that hasn't been made in ages like ARP 2500, E-mu, or Polyfusion you kids get off my lawn
memes_33
embrace the hodge-podge!
kcd06
Quote:

Huh? Not only have 5u mfg's realized that LED's can be used to replace incandescent bulbs, some of the more freaky are using LED's in colors other than red! I mean sure, you can still get modules that still use the incandescent bulbs, but those guys are at least trying... Also, most have moved away from using the the DIN spec full-frame enclosures around each module, which is a radical departure from traditional RA Moog Company practice.
cornutt
kcd06 wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Not only have 5u mfg's realized that LED's can be used to replace incandescent bulbs, some of the more freaky are using LED's in colors other than red!

Way too radical. Most of my modules still use candles.
leftbracket
kcd06 wrote:
Quote:

Huh? Not only have 5u mfg's realized that LED's can be used to replace incandescent bulbs, some of the more freaky are using LED's in colors other than red! I mean sure, you can still get modules that still use the incandescent bulbs, but those guys are at least trying... Also, most have moved away from using the the DIN spec full-frame enclosures around each module, which is a radical departure from traditional RA Moog Company practice.

Next you'll be telling me that there are people in 5U building patches that don't use resonant low-pass filters ... the horror! Surely that's against the laws of Real Music™ Dead Banana
Dcramer
leftbracket wrote:
kcd06 wrote:
Quote:

Next you'll be telling me that there are people in 5U building patches that don't use resonant low-pass filters ... the horror! Surely that's against the laws of Real Music™ Dead Banana

No it’s true!
The times are really changing, even in the 5U world.
I’m even starting to see guys performing without their capes! This is fun!
moremagic
Dcramer wrote:
leftbracket wrote:
kcd06 wrote:
Quote:

No it’s true!
The times are really changing, even in the 5U world.
I’m even starting to see guys performing without their capes! This is fun!
thats probably just cuz its summer
thetwlo
hippo1 wrote:
I now have a TON of old PittMod modules, replete in '50s mad-scientist' vibe; now coexisting with their LifeForms, all happy-go-lucky Y2K faceplates. Add to that TipTop's (well, sorta recent) re-do with all that yellow/green 'Save the Planet!'-looking disguise, looking DEFINITELY outta place next to their old graphics.
(happy continued (non-matching) wiggling!)

Pittsburgh and Tip Top to still seem like new comers to me.
jkjelec
sduck wrote:
Quote:

lol cool
Parnelli
You know when I was a young man I promised myself that I'd never grow up to be that grouchy old man on the corner

So much for promises! Well at least I don't live on a corner anyway....
cornutt
Back in my day, we didn't have corners.
MindMachine
kcd06 wrote:
Quote:

Next thing you know you'll be saying that Arrick dotcom modular is offering silver faceplates. hihi sad banana Dead Banana
neandrewthal
I miss the 4MS colours, Maths lightning bolts and modules that actually have knobs you kids get off my lawn
Gizmo
Quote:
Next you'll be telling me that there are people in 5U building patches that don't use resonant low-pass filters...

Entirely true. Believe it or not, some of them have even started doing arbitrary patches -- no rules, no precedents, no concern about very basic protocols such as connecting inputs to outputs or anything of the sort, module controls set carelessly and haphazardly, or left over from some prior patch, etc. And no keyboards allowed! Their approach seems to be, if it has a jack, plug something in, turn a knob, repeat. (I understand they have taken to calling these "Morbius patches"?) Some 5U/MU synthesists have gone so far as to paint their modules' faceplates and knobs in bright colors and apply random decals which, intentional or not, obscures their control markings and further precludes any rational basis for patching. They even give their repainted modules whimsical new names(!). But these things are just means to an end. If the result is even remotely audible -- this is the most amazing part -- they record it and post it for others to listen to. These recordings can run for several minutes or longer. Some of them have even done entire collections of these sounds. Incredible.

hihi
hamildad
Quote:
this is the most amazing part -- they record it

whoooaaa.... let's not get carried away here.....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1