MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer A-183-9 Quad USB Supply
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Doepfer A-183-9 Quad USB Supply
poorness
I recently came across the A-183-9 on the Doepfer site.

http://www.doepfer.de/a1839.htm

I have been looking for something like this to use a USB light with my rack. It would also be handy for the Arturia controllers. However, there are no details as to availability. Anyone know anything?

I could totally use one of these.
R.U.Nuts
Uses the 5V rail. Brilliant! -Wait: I have no 2HP left cry
Agawell
there's also these

btw the doepfer one states you need 500ma of 5v

i suspect that this is mostly due to the fact that they expect you to charge a phone with it - a few lamps would be ok with way less - read the blurb on the Synthwerks page
Shledge
I hooked up a few USB sockets straight into the 5v rail and have them hang out on the side. Does a decent job.
Phitar
Shledge wrote:
I hooked up a few USB sockets straight into the 5v rail and have them hang out on the side. Does a decent job.

That's probably how I would pull this off if that was what I was after.

Personally I don't see any need for the 5 volts only / no data USB format in a Euro module format. Maybe I'm missing something here; If so then please enlighten me. I personally wouldn't want to allocate even 1/4 hp to a module just to charge my cell phone. Is there some real need here I'm overlooking?
jmeisse
Phitar wrote:
Shledge wrote:

Personally I don't see any need for the 5 volts only / no data USB format in a Euro module format. Maybe I'm missing something here; If so then please enlighten me. I personally wouldn't want to allocate even 1/4 hp to a module just to charge my cell phone. Is there some real need here I'm overlooking?

Lots of people use it for USB lights. I want usb ports to power my Keystep & BSP, I was going to build them into my case so it doesn't take up front panel space.
poorness
jmeisse wrote:
Lots of people use it for USB lights. I want usb ports to power my Keystep & BSP

Yes! Exactly. I agree!

Agawell wrote:
there's also these

I've seen the Synthwerks stuff, but it takes 3 or 4 HP and I only have 2 available. Well, technically I have 0 HP available but I have a mult I'd be willing to sacrifice. d'oh!

jmeisse wrote:
I was going to build them into my case so it doesn't take up front panel space.

Smart. Having it built into the case would be ideal. thumbs up
justin3am
Agawell wrote:
btw the doepfer one states you need 500ma of 5v

That likely comes from the USB power spec. A USB 1.1/2.0 device CAN draw up to 500mA but most devices draw less than 100mA. (Note: USB 3 devices can draw as much as 900mA or 1.5A for quick charging).

Also, there is a difference between what the device descriptors report vs actual power requirements. iPads and iPhones will balk if a device reports that it's drawing more than 200mA, even if it doesn't actually draw that much.

Unfortunately many USB devices will just say 5v 500mA for their power specs, if any specs are listed at all. Often the real world power requirements are not listed.

As with all things, be careful. If you are not sure, at least test without any other modules in your case, when experimenting with different types of devices.
uniquepersonno2
Phitar wrote:
Shledge wrote:

I actually was looking for something just like this a month ago, I was flying across the country with very little space for gear and wanted to power my Beatstep Pro from the rack. Would have been perfect!
ersatzplanet
There is also these, two of which have been out for years (The LAMP-1 and LAMP-2 since 2010, the LAMP-3 for over a year):

They are sold with and without USB lamps. The LAMP-3 hooks directly to your +5V supply and can drive any USB device that it has enough juice to run. Look at your supply and the device that you plan on running. A BeatstepPro for instance wants ~500mA.

It is a drag for us that Doepfer is making a similar unit. I guess it was bound to happen.
poorness
Cool modules ersatzplanet! If the LAMP-3 was 2HP, I'd buy one right now. I don't have 3HP to spare though. d'oh!
ersatzplanet
poorness wrote:
Cool modules ersatzplanet! If the LAMP-3 was 2HP, I'd buy one right now. I don't have 3HP to spare though.

I don't see how he can make it in 2HP, the metal around the sockets gets pretty thin when the panel is than narrow. A standard type-A USB socket is around .275" wide. That doesn't leave much left in a .4" panel. Most metal shops don't like punching that close to the edge.

I guess I could offer a FPE milled front panel that wide. I should see the cost.
poorness
The module isn't out yet, so maybe Dieter just did it for the prototype. Who knows? The Doepfer website has no information about availability. It may never come to fruition.

BTW, on the LAMP-1, I'm assuming that's a passive mult, not buffered?
ersatzplanet
poorness wrote:
The module isn't out yet, so maybe Dieter just did it for the prototype. Who knows? The Doepfer website has no information about availability. It may never come to fruition.

Yes, I would live to see the metalwork and the connectors he is using. I would probably have to mill that to make it 2HP (my PCB's might have to shrink too!)

poorness wrote:

Yes, the multiples are passive. I just hate to waste panel space. The LAMP-1 and LAMP-2 run off the +12V supply and the regulators are probably not heat sunk enough to pull big mA loads, though I have never tried to melt them. I was asked so many times about powering QuNexus and BeatSteps that I made the LAMP-3 for that. Then I was amazed at how little some supplies provide for the +5V. A Tiptop Mantis is only 300mA and a uZeus is only 170mA for example. The Doepfer PS3 has a lot of juice, 4 Amps worth of +5, so that is why he is giving that limit. The limit is what you drive with it. Lamps are nothing. A keyboard is a lot. A phone can be really a lot. The smallest iPhone chargers are like 1 Amp.
JohnLRice
poorness wrote:
Correct! thumbs up

By the way, I love my Lamp-3 modules, I have one in each of my main eurorack cases and use them for lamps and also to power either a Keystep or Qunexus keyboard. Hard to beat the price too! thumbs up $65 two USB lamps or just $50 with NO lamps.
Dcramer
Lamp one works fine with my Qunexus thumbs up
realeoin
Interesting. Would one of these power a Roland boutique? Like a TR-08 or SH-01a for example?
Shledge
If it's anything like what I did, it should be able to utilise the full 5v rail.
ersatzplanet
realeoin wrote:
Interesting. Would one of these power a Roland boutique? Like a TR-08 or SH-01a for example?

All the USB powered Roland Boutique units want to see 500mA of power to run. Both the Doepfer and Synthwerks USB Power Access modules run completely off the cabinet's internal +5V supply. The Doepfer uses some mA to power the LEDs (probably in the 10's of mA at most), The LAMP-3 doesn't use any. It is basically a conversion cable from the 16-pin Doepfer style Bus to 3 USB connectors.

Basically, your cabinet's power supply determines what external devices can be run from it. The power on these jacks is TOTALLY supplied by the +5V cabinet power supply.
ersatzplanet
poorness wrote:

Yes they are passive. I hate having big blank spots on a panel.

As a rule of thumb, if the multiple doesn't explicitly have a "IN" jack marked on it, it is a passive multiple. ALL active multiples have and "IN" and more than one "OUT" and can't be used bi-directionally so will be marked as such.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1