MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

2 pico drums or 2hp kick, snare & hi hat ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author 2 pico drums or 2hp kick, snare & hi hat ?
SalvorHardin
The title pretty much sum it up.

I currently have a simple mother 32, been eyeing eurorack for a few months now.

I was thinking of grabbing a Bruterack 6u + a math and additional VCA, or some drums.

Lately I'm more toward the drums, but I was wondering what was a better choice, was were the pro and cons of both solutions.

2HP options seems more straight forward and less menu dive.
But pico drum seems more flexible, also I can get two + the programmer for 220€

What's your take? Any input is welcome!
hw408
I was fishing around for cheap weird drums too, and bummed the special ones like Plonk and Mutant are usually over $300.

Thought about pico and 2hp but got a Tea Kick smile
matttech
Pico drums will give you a bigger range of different drum sounds out of the box, and the ability to upload your own samples....but the 2hp ones have more sound synthesis and cv control options

I think that’s the main difference really
matttech
The Future Retro Transient is also a pretty crazy option for drums, and just this one module can produce a hell of a lot of sounds/ beats

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/transient-plus/

You can load your own samples into that too
SalvorHardin
Thanks for the feedback.

Well the thing that make me excited about 2 pico drums is being able to control multiple drumvoice with the PNW.

With the FRT it wouldnt work?
tuj
The Transient just does 1 voice AFAIK. At least I haven't figured out how to switch samples with CV. I know they have released an updated version, so maybe that can do it? Not sure. I have the older one. It does thump.
Zymos
Transient only has one trigger input. It does have 2 voices, architecture wise, but you can't trigger them independently. Awesome module though, I have 2.

I had 2 Picos for a while, I found them kind of "ho hum". I'd go with the 2HP ones over those, if I had to pick.
synkrotron
Interesting... I was also deliberating over Pico or 2hp kick/snare. I don't need the hat, I don't think, cos I am happy using simple white noise through my DPLPG.

Sounds like the 2hp offerings may be a winner...
SalvorHardin
Zymos wrote:
Transient only has one trigger input. It does have 2 voices, architecture wise, but you can't trigger them independently. Awesome module though, I have 2.

I had 2 Picos for a while, I found them kind of "ho hum". I'd go with the 2HP ones over those, if I had to pick.

Yhea.. The more I think about it the more I lean toward the 2hp ones. It's just that I've a good deal over the pico but nevermind.

I guess you convinced me with that simple message! Thanks. (had already almost done alone :p)
BRNT
I have 2 Pico Drums. For small setups they are more than great. I put BD and SD (and claps) into the first one and diff CHH and OHH, with other weird glitchy sound in the second. Oh, and you’d need the uploader to use it with your computer.
At some point I’ll want the Entity Percussion and the Tiptop 09hats, but I’ll keep them.
Sample vs analog, the eternal fight. But you know the answer is both. With sample players you know you’ll always have the sounds you wanted, and no search ‘in the go’ of the sweet spot.
And the cv to manipulate the pitch is great to move a little the beats (the use of an att is mandatory).
And have fun!
SalvorHardin
Thanks for your input BRNT, I though the 2hp were digital too eek!
Koryo
I have all these modules in question. My 2¢

I adore the Pico Drums. I have my own custom sample sets on all of them. I don't want 909 sounds which is why I chose Drums as my bread and butter.

For kicks I use an SSF Entity. It's stunning. So much power in that thing. Love the modulation outs on it.

Back up kick, Bastl Tea Kick.

Because high hats are used in nearly every track, I went with a 2hp Hats. I can vary the sound easily and it's a good one to have as a stand alone module because of the self patching of the open and closed hat. It sounds good and is easy to use.

The Transient is so damn good. You could use it as your only drum source if you wanted. It's so flexible, deep, and surprising. I use it for accents and strange fills not always as a drum.

Don't forget last weeks darling, BIA. Love it but the Transient does it's crazy ness and more.
SalvorHardin
Thanks. BIA is The Basilimus iterias alter?
beatcleaver
SalvorHardin wrote:
Thanks. BIA is The Basilimus iterias alter?

yep
eddraper
BRNT wrote:
I have 2 Pico Drums. For small setups they are more than great.

This topic was WAY helpful. I was wrestling with this decision last week and it's a hard one to make. I decided to go with the Pico drums so I could use them for sample triggers as well. I don't think it would be wrong to go either way as both options sound great. I particularly liked the 2HP Kick which sounds excellent and is way easy to use.

I've really enjoyed all the perspectives on this thread. Really glad the OP created it.
rxchurch
I really like Pico Drums. Biggest complaint is it resets on power off and I have to remember to jot down what samples I'm using in a patch. Just bought a BIA, but I haven't racked it yet.
kodek
rxchurch wrote:
I really like Pico Drums. Biggest complaint is it resets on power off and I have to remember to jot down what samples I'm using in a patch. Just bought a BIA, but I haven't talked it yet.

You can actually save up to 6 presets of sample sets.
The first slot will be the one with which it will boot up. ;---)
rxchurch
kodek wrote:
rxchurch wrote:
I really like Pico Drums. Biggest complaint is it resets on power off and I have to remember to jot down what samples I'm using in a patch. Just bought a BIA, but I haven't talked it yet.

You can actually save up to 6 presets of sample sets.
The first slot will be the one with which it will boot up. ;---)

I'll try and RTFM before spreading FUD.
Pico drums is great. It EVEN let's you save six presets!
shoottofill
I have a pico drums and was wondering if i should get another or the 2hp series. I got lucky and found someone selling all the 2hp drums used at almost half price. I use the pico to fill in what's missing (hand claps, cowbell, toms and so on).

I was looking at the delptronics LDB-2e and the expander before I found the 2hp used.
SalvorHardin
@eddraper Glad it served!
@rxchurch Crypto enthusiast? haha

Quick update, I went full crazy wallet mod and got A Pamela's new Workout, a 2hp drum/kick/snare and delay
Wish me luck!
SalvorHardin
One thing I may not have planned though, if the mother 32 goes into a rack, the rear audio output won't be used anymore, and if I use the VCA as audio out on a stereo headset, I only hear from the left... hmmm.....
BDProject
One important thing that is worth mentioning about the Pico is that it has only one out. Meaning, you can't process the 2 samples separately, which can be a problem especially for the kick (I like to separate it from the rest going into the mixer, for further processing).

Other than that, I'm very happy with it!
whjwhj
From personal experience, drums and manipulating them in fun ways is a good way to ease into modular. You can work out how some stuff works without it getting itoo intense.
SalvorHardin
SalvorHardin wrote:
One thing I may not have planned though, if the mother 32 goes into a rack, the rear audio output won't be used anymore, and if I use the VCA as audio out on a stereo headset, I only hear from the left... hmmm.....

anyone about this one? I start to stress a bit ;o
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1