MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Envelope follower from drum machine outs = triggers?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Envelope follower from drum machine outs = triggers?
hw408
Im thinking of outs from a TR626 firing some tiptop drums somehow.

There was a thread about somebody using an MPC with samples that worked as triggers, it got me thinking. I tried running audio out from the drum machine and the kick does trigger modular, but other 626 sounds dont, and it only works from the main out. I think the individual outs are too quiet, and I cant think of how to make the individual outputs louder.

Is this a viable use of envelope followers?

I dont know which modular sequencer to get yet and the Roland sequencing is nice and cozy. Maybe I would look for a quad env follower as a workaround, if this would work.

Thanks for any input we're not worthy
Dave Peck
An envelope follower can be really useful to create a reliable trigger pulse for this purpose, by changing the original audio waveform to a fast control voltage pulse/transient, but if the problem with those other non-kick drum sounds is really that their levels are too low, you may ALSO need to boost those levels. If you don't already have a way to do that using something like the controls on a hardware mixer or preamp, you could get a synth module for that purpose. Lots of utility modules available that will boost a signal level. Also, many envelope follower modules include a level boost/preamp function so you may want to just get a module that offers both functions. Like this one, in MU format:
https://synthesizers.com/q118.html
Pelsea
An envelope follower with a comparator will do the job. It should have a threshold setting for the comparator.
hw408
Thanks so much for the help.

I found this about comparators since that is new to me:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135614

thumbs up
R.U.Nuts
@Hw408: are you on Eurocrack? If yes, this might be interesting for you:

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1943

Ladik also has an envelope follower with comparator...
hw408
R.U.Nuts wrote:
@Hw408: are you on Eurocrack? If yes, this might be interesting for you:

http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1943

Ladik also has an envelope follower with comparator...

Yes eurocrack. That looks very nice, and not all that expensive. cool
Nice thank you, will check out Ladik.
cornutt
Tony Banks used a closed hi-hat sound. No envelope follower; the attack of the sound itself was the trigger.
MindMachine
The Doepfer A-119 is great for this too. Has a threshold setting for Gate and Envelope outs. Also I purchased a Doepfer A-183-3 Amplifier that takes certain low volume drum machine sounds and boosts them to trigger the A-119 if it can't get there on it's own. The A-119 is cool so you can have say two out of four drum voices trigger and move sequences or trigger events, etc. Ius ethe Yamaha RX-5 and Roland CR-78 mostly for this. I even use a lowly Korg KR Mini for effect especially since you can trigger each drum voice manually. I have three A-119's and an Arrick synth dotcom Q118. Drum machine heaven fixed to multiple sequencers and clock dividers along with drum sound processing ala Conrad Schnitzler.

zombie
hw408
MindMachine wrote:
The Doepfer A-119 is great for this too. Has a threshold setting for Gate and Envelope outs. Also I purchased a Doepfer A-183-3 Amplifier that takes certain low volume drum machine sounds and boosts them to trigger the A-119 if it can't get there on it's own. The A-119 is cool so you can have say two out of four drum voices trigger and move sequences or trigger events, etc. Ius ethe Yamaha RX-5 and Roland CR-78 mostly for this. I even use a lowly Korg KR Mini for effect especially since you can trigger each drum voice manually. I have three A-119's and an Arrick synth dotcom Q118. Drum machine heaven fixed to multiple sequencers and clock dividers along with drum sound processing ala Conrad Schnitzler.

zombie

Thanks, you reminded me I have a RX5 and i didnt try that as a trigger source. It takes up a lot of room so I stashed it.

Im still thinking about the arrangement to simply trigger drum modules from the drum machine individual outs, but now.. you have me thinking it could be useful for other modular applications as well, manual pad sends a signal to X module. My rig is still tiny (no in-rack sequencing or switching) so Im not discovering all the possibilities yet. But thats a cool idea.

Drum machine heaven is great love

In the meantime, maybe the RX5 is louder than the TR626, i will give it a try. Thanks for the reply thumbs up
pulse_divider
Tama made something in the 80s called the TTB-1000 that provides 6 channels of audio to trigger conversion in a 2 rack space unit.
They are hard to find but not particularly expensive and work great.
BenA718
Using a drum machine to trigger a drum machine ... sounds so meta! smile
CaneMan
I was just watching a video on this the other day. ... Here it is: Extracting Drum Triggers from Audio. Probably more than you need since you have individual outs on your drum machine, but good to know.
hw408
BenA718 wrote:
Using a drum machine to trigger a drum machine ... sounds so meta! smile

SlayerBadger!
It may just be a plot by 626 to wear the Tiptop 909 robo suit and duke it out after playing nice for decades seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1