MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My MFOS modular expansion box project (work in progress)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music From Outer Space  
Author My MFOS modular expansion box project (work in progress)
Bodo1967
... or whatever you might call it.

Anyway, I am currently building 7 MFOS modules that'll go into a 5U case about 20 inches (50 cm) wide.

Modules will include (one each):

1) Wave Freaker
2) Quad Timbre Bank
3) Noise Cornucopia
4) CV & Gate Expander
5) Delayed Modulation
6) Echo Rockit
7) 24 dB/oct VCF from the 'Oldies but Goodies'

I made (Echo Rockit) or will make (24 dB/oct VCF) the PCBs for the last two ones myself. The latter one isn't available anyway, and my decision to build two Echo Rockits* was before I decided to order the other five PCBs. If I had had that idea two weeks sooner or so, I'd have added them to my order.

* one in a conventional case as a birthday present for a friend, and one for myself as a module

The case is half built (frame is ready). It'll get two wooden "rails" underneath so I can put it on top of my Ultimate (the blue one in the build thread).

The 1) - 5) PCBs are almost finished except for very few parts which are still on their way. Most of the front plate holes are drilled, and I've begun inserting pots and switches so I can start with the panel wiring soon.

Panel layouts are my own design, because I decided to make all connections with both 1/4" and 3.5 mm jacks - makes it more flexible, for instance for using it with my TTSH as well. I'll of course share the designs in Scribus or PDF format if anyone's interested.

The 24 dB/oct VCF wasn't originally planned, but when I bought sheet aluminum (500 mm wide) for the front plates they cut it for me according to my requirements, and that left a rest about 2.7" wide. That's when I thought "why throw it away, just make another module and add it". I decided on that VCF because it's relatively small (don't have space for 15 pots or jacks on that panel), and I figured a 24 dB/VCF might be a nice addition to the two 12 dB/oct VCFs in the Ultimate & Expander.

However, I'll include a 4-input mixer stage with the VCF module, using the signal mixer circuit of the Ultimate's audio mixer.

I'll start adding photos soon and turn this into a build thread.

Oh, and speaking of photos:
@synthcube - if you wish to add pictures of my Ultimate to the gallery on the MFOS website, I'd be happy with and honored by that!

And I'd like an MFOS T-shirt, but they seem to be out of stock :(.

Edit: corrected a few typos and added two missing words
Bodo1967
Bodo1967 wrote:
I made (Echo Rockit) [...] the PCBs for the last two ones myself.

The case is half built (frame is ready). It'll get two wooden "rails" underneath so I can put it on top of my Ultimate (the blue one in the build thread).

[...] I'll start adding photos soon and turn this into a build thread.

PCB layout printed on paper and attached to one side of the PCB

ER 01

A few pilot holes drilled (marked with felt pen) so I can use those to align the backside print properly.

ER 02

I printed the front and back side layouts (each one twice) on transparent inkjet printer foil, stacked those prints atop each other for better optical density, exposed them to UV light, developed them and etched them using sodium peroxo disulfate - 2 stages:

ER 03

ER 04
hermbot
Sounds like a great project. I've considered doing something similar in a spare Pelican case I have. I was considering doing several MFOS modules in a custom panel or several NLC. Or maybe a mixture of both...

Looking forward to see how this goes!
Bodo1967
Here's the 1) - 5) module PCBs, more or less finished except for the ICs:

Wave Freaker
WF 01

Noise Cornucopia
NC 01

CV & Gate Expander
CVG 01

Quad Timbre Bank
QTB 01

Delayed Modulation
DM 01

And this is the case with the panels placed loosely in no particular order*. The 'rails' at the bottom are bespoke to fit on the MFOS Ultimate.

* from left to right it happens to be
Wave Freaker - Quad Timbre Bank - Delayed Modulation - CV & Gate Expander - Echo Rockit - Noise Cornucopia - 24db/oct VCF

Gen 01
Bodo1967
Bodo1967 wrote:
7) 24 dB/oct VCF from the 'Oldies but Goodies'

However, I'll include a 4-input mixer stage with the VCF module, using the signal mixer circuit of the Ultimate's audio mixer.

I etched the PCB on Wednesday, drilled it yesterday, and added all resistors and wire jumpers. There are very few parts I had to order, but that's no big deal.

The PSU for the case is also almost finished; I etched and drilled the PCB on Wednesday, there's just two electrolytic caps missing - hope I get them today or tomorrow.

More pics to follow soon (probably on the weekend).

Bodo1967 wrote:
And I'd like an MFOS T-shirt, but they seem to be out of stock :(.

Perhaps the print layouts are still available so I could print my own (or have it printed)...?
Bodo1967
The 24 dB/oct VCF so far:

VCF 01

There's only two 100 pF caps and a 100R trimmer pot missing on the PCB now. and of course the ICs.

The wires are due to the audio mixer I kludged on the board (bottom left). (+) and (-) voltage connections, plus a wire from the mixer out to the VCF in. The rest of the kludging is on the bottom side of the PCB.

It won't win a beauty contest, but so what.

And this is the 'conventional' Echo Rockit, the one that's gonna be a birthday present for a friend:

ER-CONV 01

PCB is fully equipped (except I haven't inserted the ICs yet), panel wiring is finished and I've begun connecting the panel aqnd the PCB.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music From Outer Space  
Page 1 of 1