MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clocking Grids with SQ1 and using Grids with DRM1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Clocking Grids with SQ1 and using Grids with DRM1
whjwhj
Took delivery of my Grids yesterday and struggling to get it performing how (I think) it should.

I go from the Gate out of the SQ1 to the Grids Clock In. Have tried it on all ppqn types including 4.
The module doesn't seem to play 'drum loops' like I would expect (it's in the correct mode). They seem to be either very simple kick kick snare, or all over the show, but nothing that I would consider useful or interesting. Map x/y barely seems to do anything. Quite often hits will be at the same time too, but only triggering one of them. And it'll light up but not play something very often too.
It start/stops with the SQ1 which is controlled by Ableton. Grids is way out of sync too though (whereas other things clocked by the SQ1 will be pretty bang on).

Another issue, possibly interlinked, is that it isn't triggering the DRM1 well at all (it isn't triggering anything well, but the DRM1 seems the worst effected). Lots of silence but the LEDs flashing, with only a few actual hits being triggered.

Hoping all the issues here (clocking, lack of real patterns, triggering) are part of the same thing.
hamildad
dont have any of these, but some ideas might be.

a is there a trigger polarity change in the SQ1, as some korg stuff can be changes from rising edge to falling edge..

secondly, whenever I have issues with triggers, its normally gain thats the issue. Can you whack up the gain from grids and see if that works with the DRM1?

or use grids to trigger an envelope with a very sharp attack and see if the DRM1 recognises that...
whjwhj
hamildad wrote:
dont have any of these, but some ideas might be.

a is there a trigger polarity change in the SQ1, as some korg stuff can be changes from rising edge to falling edge..

secondly, whenever I have issues with triggers, its normally gain thats the issue. Can you whack up the gain from grids and see if that works with the DRM1?

or use grids to trigger an envelope with a very sharp attack and see if the DRM1 recognises that...

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know about polarity change or how I'd find out?

Would putting the Grids into a vca before the drum potentially improve the gain issue? This seems like it shouldn't be necessary though.
theotteryears
Try using the SYNC out on the SQ1 instead of the gate out...

I just my Grids yesterday too so let me know if you want any help with it
smile
/\/\/\/\/\/
hamildad wrote:
is there a trigger polarity change in the SQ1, as some korg stuff can be changes from rising edge to falling edge..

There is. You have to go into global mode (explained in the sheet of paper generously known as a manual - http://www.synthmind.com/Korg_SQ-1_Instructions.pdf) and you can do it in there, if that was the issue.
whjwhj
Ok, things seem to be working slightly better…except the drum loop thing (the most important thing). X and Y don’t seem to be doing what I would expect. It’s hard to tell if they’re doing anything really.

It’s on 4ppqn, gate instead of trigger, drum loop mode, restart on tap button mode, chaos random.

I’ve uploaded this video here.
Clock is coming from SQ1 Sync Out.
Reset is coming from B Gate Out.
Trigger 1 to Pico Drum kick, Trigger 2 to Pico Drum snare, Trigger 3 to DFAM which is the bassy sound (just to show where it’s hitting to and how it’s behaving).
There’s also a straight 4/4 kick in there that was already recorded in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDpH5w36wU

Ignore the loud fan noise haha.
Keltie
I’d investigate the ppqn setup. In your video, you have the kick fill pot almost at max....that should give you a 16th note fill in most of the patterns, so it seems to me possible grids is effectively dividing your clock. This might explain why you’re not getting full patterns, as you’re resetting halfway into a pattern, or less. You should be hearing a kick drum machine gun burst... instead it’s the odd hit... so grids isn’t running at the correct rate, if that makes sense? Not in front of my modular right now but iirc, the tap light should show 1/4 notes, and that seems off too.

For sure, x and y do have a clear effect assuming the module works, but again assuming most patterns have a kick and snare on the first and second beat, then if you’re resetting there, you wont get much variation.

I struggled with grids too until I got all that squared away.

I’d also go with trigger mode, not gate... as your modules may miss triggers otherwise...at least till you’re happy it’s up and running correctly. Same with chaos random... start basic.

Hope that helps thumbs up
whjwhj
Keltie wrote:
I’d investigate the ppqn setup. In your video, you have the kick fill pot almost at max....that should give you a 16th note fill in most of the patterns, so it seems to me possible grids is effectively dividing your clock. This might explain why you’re not getting full patterns, as you’re resetting halfway into a pattern, or less. You should be hearing a kick drum machine gun burst... instead it’s the odd hit... so grids isn’t running at the correct rate, if that makes sense? Not in front of my modular right now but iirc, the tap light should show 1/4 notes, and that seems off too.

For sure, x and y do have a clear effect assuming the module works, but again assuming most patterns have a kick and snare on the first and second beat, then if you’re resetting there, you wont get much variation.

I struggled with grids too until I got all that squared away.

I’d also go with trigger mode, not gate... as your modules may miss triggers otherwise...at least till you’re happy it’s up and running correctly. Same with chaos random... start basic.

Hope that helps thumbs up

Thanks for taking a look. I'm not sure how I could resolve it now. Feel like I've tried everything (I'd previously had it on trigger mode too).

I will say that when it was delivered it was dropped over a 7ft gate and left in the sun all day. It could very well be that it's faulty but I've been testing it and holding out for a hallelujah moment where I've been going wrong.

I've already been in touch with Juno to tell them so can exchange, but was hoping it'd still be ok.
Keltie
whjwhj wrote:

Thanks for taking a look. I'm not sure how I could resolve it now. Feel like I've tried everything (I'd previously had it on trigger mode too).

I will say that when it was delivered it was dropped over a 7ft gate and left in the sun all day. It could very well be that it's faulty but I've been testing it and holding out for a hallelujah moment where I've been going wrong.

I've already been in touch with Juno to tell them so can exchange, but was hoping it'd still be ok.

Yeah, that doesn’t sound good.... but on the other hand, I’d expect it to be DOA, or not. Do you have a way to confirm 100% the rate of the incoming sync clock? Maybe worth a check, but otherwise, sounds like exchange time.
whjwhj
Keltie wrote:

Yeah, that doesn’t sound good.... but on the other hand, I’d expect it to be DOA, or not. Do you have a way to confirm 100% the rate of the incoming sync clock? Maybe worth a check, but otherwise, sounds like exchange time.

No way of checking it, I don't think. On the MI forum they've said it looks like an issue with the clock, possibly playing at way under the bpm it's supposed to be.

I have it on 4ppqn, which looks like it should be correct. The only thing left to try is the higher resolutions again now I know 100% the settings are otherwise right.

If that doesn't work, would a multiplier or divider help (not sure which)?
Or should I just exchange?
vonstirlitz
It sounds exactly like my experiences when clocking it at 4ppqn. Sluggish and non responsive. 24ppqn from a variety of sources and its fine.

Also, some kit doesnt recognise or fire triggers (Plonk in my case) so its worth trying gates out from Grids too.
Keltie
I don’t have an sq1, but it appears to me that setting sequencer step resolution there to 16s, running the sequencer in “z” mode ( seq a > seq b) and grids at 4 ppqn, should line up your 16 step, 1 bar sq1 sequence with one bar of grids.

Have you tried syncing the other way? Set the correct grids mode, and you can clock sq1 from grids acc output 2.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1