MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Author Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
chysn
Hemisphere is alternate alternate firmware for Ornament and Crime. It's a dual applet framework that focuses on modular building blocks with visual interfaces.

If you'd care to participate in a public beta release, you can download a hex file at http://www.beigemaze.com/hemisphere.html

The beta codebase keeps most of the original O_C apps intact. The exception is Meta-Q, which had to be disabled to make room for the new software.

The beta release includes 14 applets including: dual quantizer, dual clock divider/multiplier, 5-step sequencer, dual binary trigger sequencer, sample and hold with random, dual calculator (arithmetical operations), dual logic (with CV control), threshold logic neuron, gated/sequential switch, probability brancher, skewed LFO, dual ADSR, 8-bit audio looper, and gated VCA.

More info, including links to videos, is here:

http://butmostlycrime.blogspot.com/2018/06/introducing-hemisphere.html
http://butmostlycrime.blogspot.com/2018/07/hemisphere-beta-release-pfa q.html

If there's any interest, support can be sought at this forum post.

Note that this project is an open-source initiative and is unaffiliated with the Ornament and Crime development team.
Zymos
woah
FarmerPhilip
I saw a YouTube video introducing this a few days ago: very interesting, especially how some of the modes can share inputs. Looking forward to this a lot!
Godphaser
Wow!

Quote:
threshold logic neuron

Could you explain what's this please? love
rayultine
seriously chysn, how did you come up with all of this from scratch in three weeks? By 2019, our ornament and crimes are going to be cooking us breakfast and 3D printing its babies.

edit:
sans meta-Q, is there enough space left to also squeeze in Darkest Timeline?

edit:
another crazy idea: in Lo-Fi Tape, if length of loop could be CV controlled, then you are basically replicating the 2hp Freez module with 8-bit audio resolution. And since the o_c inputs are DC coupled, you could also loop CV, right? holy shit.
ipassenger
Awesome stuff, probably no time to help beta but great work! SlayerBadger!
roya
Been using it in the last few days, great great stuff!!
chysn
Godphaser wrote:

Quote:
threshold logic neuron

Could you explain what's this please? love

It's a three-input/single-output logic gate. Each of three inputs ("dendrites") is given a weight (in the case of Hemisphere, a weight of between -9 and 9). The output ("axon") is given a threshold (in Hemisphere, between -27 and 27). When the sum of the weights of high inputs exceeds the threshhold, the output goes high.

The neuron can be used to reproduce common logic gates; for example:

Input 1: w=3
Input 2: w=3
Input 3: w=3
Output: t=8

This reproduces and AND gate, because all inputs need to go high (for a sum of 9) to exceed the threshold of 8.

Input 1: w=3
Input 2: w=3
Input 3: w=3
Output: t=2

This reproduces an OR gate, because only one input needs to go high to exceed the threshold of 2.

The values can also be negative. So

Input 1: w=-3
Input 2: w=-3
Output: t=-5

This is a two-input NAND gate, because the output is high (because 0>-5) unless both inputs 1 and 2 are high, which brings the sum below the threshold.

But you're not limited to reproducing standard Boolean operations. You can create your own logical operations. For example, you can do this:

Input 1: w=2
Input 2: w=2
Input 3: w=5
Output: t=3, and mult the output into Input 3

This creates a type of state memory: when Inputs 1 and 2 go high, the output goes high (2+2>3), and the output is sent back to Input 3, which forces the output to remain high, whatever happens to Inputs 1 and 2 later.

A variation of that theme is

Input 1: w=2
Input 2: w=-2
Input 3: w=2
Output: t=1, and mult the output into Input 3

Now, Input 1 triggers the axon, which feeds back into itself. Input 1 can go low again and the output stays high. But a high signal at Input 2 will reset the memory unless Input 1 is still on.

My newest O_C project is an artificial neural network full app with four of these things linked together (or functioning separately); so I'll have a more complete treatment at some point.

Oh, yeah... what can this actually be used for in a patch? Complex but deterministic clocking, or patching specific responses to controller events, or generative patches. If you like regular Boolean logic, you'll probably have a blast with threshold logic.
chysn
rayultine wrote:
seriously chysn, how did you come up with all of this from scratch in three weeks?

I'd have to credit the straightforward nature of the underlying framework, and a good set of tools within the framework. Patrick and Tim were both generous with their time, so it was an easy system to learn.

Quote:
sans meta-Q, is there enough space left to also squeeze in Darkest Timeline?

The Hemisphere beta takes up Meta-Q's space and a little more. The Teensy Loader says that it's at 100%. Obviously it's rounding up, but...

Eventually, I plan to distribute Hemisphere (with many more applets), Darkest Timeline, the in-progress Neural Network, and some other stuff (including a handful of current O_C apps) as Hemisphere Suite. Right now, I'm interested in finding out if I'm on the right track in terms of a friendly UI and stable, useful, applets.

Quote:
another crazy idea: in Lo-Fi Tape, if length of loop could be CV controlled, then you are basically replicating the 2hp Freez module with 8-bit audio resolution.

Sure. With two CV inputs, and one of them locked into audio in, I was having way more fun modulating sound-on-sound, so I connected length to the knob. It was sort of a judgment call. With such a short amount of time, modulating time parameters isn't as enjoyable as it is on, say, Phonogene*.

Quote:
And since the o_c inputs are DC coupled, you could also loop CV, right? holy shit.

Huh, yeah, I guess so. I was so caught up in the audio experiment that I never considered playing with CV. But it is basically a really coarse 2048-step sequencer without clock control. Good catch!

* That's right, I still have a Phonogene. Shut up.
chysn
roya wrote:
Been using it in the last few days, great great stuff!!

Thanks for trying it!
uebl
That's.. awesome! Now I only need to figure out whether this can be compiled to flip the screen, controls and inputs/outputs so it can be used upside-down in a skiff..
chysn
uebl wrote:
That's.. awesome! Now I only need to figure out whether this can be compiled to flip the screen, controls and inputs/outputs so it can be used upside-down in a skiff..

Hemisphere itself works as a normal Ornament and Crime app, so the FLIP_180 compile option should work fine. If it doesn’t, let me know!
tnktni
Wow, intrigued. Excited to try this out.
shellfritsch
hey chysn, thanks for your hard work on this. the limitations of the applets make the interface waaay more approachable. plus i've never really needed a quad quantizer. dual is fine for me smile

i just tried out the lofi looper and i'm getting a loud click on the end of the loop - even when starting with an empty buffer. i can tell it's at the end because when i turn the encoder to change the loop length it goes away. also is it possible to have monitoring of the input? could "cv b" act as a pitch control? or maybe start point shift?

with the clock div/mult - based on the help page it seems that the cv inputs are unused? can they be used to control div/mult amount?

finally - is there a way to disable the screensaver, or at least make the time before activating waaaay longer. i find it very distracting to play with a setting, look away at something else, then look up to see it on something else. or i'll just be staring at the help page, trying to commit the controls to memory, and the screensaver will pop up while i'm reading.

again - really appreciate your efforts!
mdoudoroff
applause

So happy to see new stuff for this amazing little platform.

I wonder if it’s technically possible to have a web site where you check off the apps you want and then download a firmware package containing that combo?
chysn
Shellfritsch, thanks for the input!

shellfritsch wrote:
i just tried out the lofi looper and i'm getting a loud click on the end of the loop - even when starting with an empty buffer. i can tell it's at the end because when i turn the encoder to change the loop length it goes away.

I'm working on this issue. I've got a mistake handling the buffer somewhere. For now, as you mentioned, the workaround is to change the end point a little bit.

Quote:
also is it possible to have monitoring of the input?

I kind of like the current display, but I think I could add an output level overlay without the screen getting too busy.

Quote:
could "cv b" act as a pitch control?

No, unfortunately not. We're dealing with such low sample rates here that dividing by anything drives the sample rate so low that the sound goes away, and multiplying by anything immediately results in a chirpy mess. Pitch-wise, I'm really threading a needle here.

Quote:
or maybe start point shift?

I'm pretty convinced that sound-on-sound level is the right function of CV B. Similar to the pitch issue, the buffer is so small that there's not enough "wiggle" room to make time modulation very interesting.

Quote:
with the clock div/mult - based on the help page it seems that the cv inputs are unused? can they be used to control div/mult amount?

Yeah, I think that's a good idea.

Quote:
finally - is there a way to disable the screensaver, or at least make the time before activating waaaay longer. i find it very distracting to play with a setting, look away at something else, then look up to see it on something else. or i'll just be staring at the help page, trying to commit the controls to memory, and the screensaver will pop up while i'm reading.

We talked about the screensaver a bit in the DIY topic. The consensus seems to be that the OLED isn't in any immediate danger. The screensaver is part of the O_C's framework, so I treated it like this:

(1) The only thing that's removed during the screensaver for applets is the header and blinking cursors. I think the header is where burn-in is most likely to happen. Also, there needs to be some visual indicator that a screensaver is in use, because the first button push while in screensaver mode is never delegated to the app; it just turns off the screensaver.

(2) But some people, like me, leave their synths on all day. So Hemisphere blanks the screen after 30 minutes of inactivity.

But, I forgot about the help screens. For beta 2, I'll make it so that help screens stay active in screensaver mode.

Note that you can change screensaver time to up to 120 seconds in the O_C's calibration menu.

Thanks again!
shellfritsch
ah i didn't know you can set the screensaver timeout already. i'm totally new to O_C

regarding input monitoring - i was referring to hearing the input, not seeing. not sure if this is possible. if not i can always patch my own monitoring.

regarding cv b on the looper - i didn't realize that was already set to SOS. makes sense.
chysn
mdoudoroff wrote:

I wonder if it’s technically possible to have a web site where you check off the apps you want and then download a firmware package containing that combo?

Technically, it’s trivial. But as an actual project, it’s kind of that perfect storm of “time consuming” and “uninteresting” that makes it unlikely to get my interest. But anyone who wants to take it on has my full support. smile
chysn
shellfritsch wrote:
regarding input monitoring - i was referring to hearing the input, not seeing. not sure if this is possible. if not i can always patch my own monitoring.

regarding cv b on the looper - i didn't realize that was already set to SOS. makes sense.

Oh! Yes, you can monitor by patching CV to input B, and you can balance between hearing the input and the loop. Note that you're hearing the input through the same 8-bit/2kHz system that you're recording through; there's not really a way to pass a signal through unscathed.

The end-of-cycle click issue turned out to be a buffer over-read. It's corrected for the next beta release, which will be on Sunday, July 8th.
Godphaser
Quote:
It's a three-input/single-output logic gate. Each of three inputs ("dendrites") is given a weight (in the case of Hemisphere, a weight of between -9 and 9). The output ("axon") is given a threshold (in Hemisphere, between -27 and 27). When the sum of the weights of high inputs exceeds the threshhold, the output goes high.

Super nice! Thanks a lot for your answer.

It's kinda like blackjack but for CV.
chysn
Godphaser wrote:
It's kinda like blackjack but for CV.

Ha! Pretty much.
Eurtrude
First, thanks a lot for this release, it's like a dream that comes true for me smile
Some superb ideas in there too !

I just installed the thing but barely had time to play with the apps.
Will there be some possibilities for routing the CV inputs ? Like control the segments of enveloppes, or lfo rate, etc. ?

About ADSR enveloppes, is there a bug ? the release is full or middle and there is almost no control over it. Besides, the resolution of steps for the other segments is a bit too low (I mean the changes are too big from one step to the next, not very precise).

I'll test more the others apps when I'll have some time, is there a place to write about it other than here ?

Thanks again for your work, it's freaking awesome smile
chysn
Eurtrude wrote:
Will there be some possibilities for routing the CV inputs ? Like control the segments of enveloppes, or lfo rate, etc. ?

Yeah, CV control over attack and release in the ADSR and over rate and skew for the LFO are already in Sunday's release. And I can increase the resolution, too. There are only 100 steps in each segment.

Quote:
I'll test more the others apps when I'll have some time, is there a place to write about it other than here ?

I'd say, this is probably the best place for now. You can always feel free to PM me, too.
BaloErets
Wow, this is really the bomb SlayerBadger! With 2 O_c's in my rack, I gave Hemisphere a good play today. Everything just works. Ton's of potential having access 2 4 of these "mini modules". The Calculations alone is just so useful!

Thank you so much for sharing with us we're not worthy
Eurtrude
chysn wrote:
Eurtrude wrote:

Yeah, CV control over attack and release in the ADSR and over rate and skew for the LFO are already in Sunday's release. And I can increase the resolution, too. There are only 100 steps in each segment.

You mean it's already there ? I haven't tried, just saw in the menu that CV indicates Nothing in those apps.

It would be really great to increase the resolution (well, at least to my point of view), I always liked the 258 steps from the Piqued app.

Anyway, this is amazing and honnestly a game changer for the O_c we're not worthy

Quote:

I'd say, this is probably the best place for now. You can always feel free to PM me, too.

Ok smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next [all]
Page 1 of 28