MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next [all]
Author Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
Mikro93
I'm still fairly new to o_C, but then this happened:

chysn wrote:

My newest O_C project is an artificial neural network full app with four of these things linked together (or functioning separately); so I'll have a more complete treatment at some point.

Congrats for the Hemisphere as is already, and I'm so looking forward to see what's next smile

Cheers!
fever606
chysn wrote:
The beta codebase keeps most of the original O_C apps intact.

Potentially dumb question, but does Hemisphere just present itself as another O_C app, meaning that I can bail out of it and load up CopierMaschine for all of my LFSR needs? (At least until I can get my hands dirty enough to figure out how to roll my own DU-RDT replacement as an applet for Hemisphere seriously, i just don't get it)
Eurtrude
fever606 wrote:
chysn wrote:

Potentially dumb question, but does Hemisphere just present itself as another O_C app, meaning that I can bail out of it and load up CopierMaschine for all of my LFSR needs? (At least until I can get my hands dirty enough to figure out how to roll my own DU-RDT replacement as an applet for Hemisphere seriously, i just don't get it)

Yep, exactly ! It only replaces Meta-Q
fever606
Eurtrude wrote:

Wooo! This is fun! Thanks!
tnktni
Eurtrude wrote:
fever606 wrote:
chysn wrote:

Oh wow OK, now I definitely have to try it out.
chysn
I've added instructional documentation for Hemisphere in general (as opposed to the applets) at GitHub:

https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-Hemisphere/wiki/Hemisphere-General-Instru ctions

There are some refinements for the upcoming (July 8) Beta 2, and these are noted in the text.
antofthesky
Are the help screen contents for each applet online anywhere, instead of just on the module? Would be nice to read.
prphnc
Dreams become reality!
Thank you chysn!!!
It's peanut butter jelly time!
chysn
antofthesky wrote:
Are the help screen contents for each applet online anywhere, instead of just on the module? Would be nice to read.

Not yet, but that's coming. The closest thing to applet documentation at the moment is the YouTube playlist at

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC5d4vp670NsuEUQybeCPYOvoDJb9fn Bi
chysn
Hemisphere Beta 2 is now available at http://www.beigemaze.com/hemisphere.html

Release notes:

* Selection now applies only to the selected hemisphere; the opposite hemisphere functions as normal
* LoFiTape: Fixed buffer over-read, which caused clicking for full-length loops
* Screensaver won't interrupt help screens
* ADSR: Added bipolar CV control of attack and release
* ADSR: Increased value resolution for all segments
* ADSR: Sustain is now silent at lowest level
* SkewLFO: Added bipolar CV control of rate and skew
* SkewLFO: Increased value resolution for rate and skew
* Added Turing Machine based on original Tom Whitwell kit (16-bit digital shift register)
* Removed Gated VCA to make room for the above
* Removed unnecessary screensaver animations to save space
* Help screen won't be duplicated if both hemispheres are assigned the same applet

The video for the Turing Machine is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNWCq8mW5wE
SavageMessiah
Nice, I think most of the O_C apps are pretty unpleasant to use, UI-wise, but these seem simple enough to get around that, and two at once too! Once this is out of beta I'll definitely be giving it a try.
BaloErets
Great stuff chysn! The Turing Machine addition is fantastic! Haven't got the chance to play with it yet, but looking forwards to it.

Quick question; I didn't hear mention what the CV inputs do. Are we to assume that are CV for Scale and Probability like the MTM version, or are the currently not programmed to do anything?
chysn
BaloErets wrote:
Great stuff chysn! The Turing Machine addition is fantastic! Haven't got the chance to play with it yet, but looking forwards to it.

Quick question; I didn't hear mention what the CV inputs do. Are we to assume that are CV for Scale and Probability like the MTM version, or are the currently not programmed to do anything?

The CV inputs don't do anything. I did the Turing Machine mostly to gain some insight into how a Turing Machine works, so this is probably the purest-possible implementation.

There's sort of a bad news/good news situation. The bad news is that I'm officially out of memory for new features. There are about 500 bytes left on Ornament and Crime when Beta 2 is installed. So adding features to anything is largely out of the question. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when the O_C 1.3.5 update comes out. I'll merge it in somehow, but it'll be an interesting weekend.

The good news is that I'm working on Hemisphere Suite now, which is a version of Hemisphere that isn't going to be bound by keeping O_C apps around. Here I have enough space to go crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myTENbq0_g4

and I have some fun Turing Machine type ideas.
AnalogAssailant
Will you be adding CV control to clock div/multiplier applet?
chysn
AnalogAssailant wrote:
Will you be adding CV control to clock div/multiplier applet?

I'm trying to find the space for that. My initial coding of it took me about a hundred bytes over the limit, so I'm working on shaving things.
pines
Thanks Chysn! I loaded up beta 2 on my second O&C, and it really expands the functionality. The logic operations are especially welcome. Looking forward to the “Official” release. The suite sounds really interesting.
roya
I’ll be more than happy with a second Oc dedicated to hemisphere! I really enjoy it so far...

I may write a couple “apps” I need soon too... wink
Kroaton
This might be a weird question but could the USB in on the Teensy be used with the O_c and Hemisphere?

A serial PureData input app in the Hemisphere Suite would make any O_c an extender for TerminalTedium and computers running PD.
chysn
Kroaton wrote:
This might be a weird question but could the USB in on the Teensy be used with the O_c and Hemisphere?

Yeah, sure... the whole thing runs on the Teensy, so you can do whatever with the hardware on board. The native firmware optionally uses the USB port to send serial terminal debugging info, but you can do whatever you want to with it.

I'll probably get interested in USB applications at some point. I just got a flush-mount USB jack and little button to install into the back of my case's rear panel, so I can program my O_C without keeping it hanging out of my rack all the time. That will inevitably lead to me wanting to use the Teensy's USB for other stuff.
chysn
All right, folks... I can put clock division/multiplication under CV control if I get rid of the Sample and Hold applet. Does anybody care? This isn't, like, somebody's only sample and hold, right? It was basically the first proof-of-concept applet, and it seems like the least useful thing.

I feel like Ken Mattingly here trying to find 200 bytes, except nobody's going to die if I fail.

EDIT: I'm moving S&H into the Calculator. This is a nice solution. Because the Hemisphere S&H is, in fact, my system's only S&H.
AnalogAssailant
Quote:
I can put clock division/multiplication under CV control if I get rid of the Sample and Hold applet. Does anybody care?

My 2 cents..

I just had another look at your S&H video. It's a neat little app but i think i would prefer cv control over the div/mult, but others may disagree.

I suppose you could always re-introduce another (more fleshed out?) s&h applet with the second firmware path you have planned, the firmware that will see more original o_C apps removed.
mrerdat
This rules. Really enjoying the Turing machine into dual quantizer combo!
chysn
AnalogAssailant wrote:
I suppose you could always re-introduce another (more fleshed out?) s&h applet with the second firmware path you have planned, the firmware that will see more original o_C apps removed.

Perhaps. But no functionality is given up by putting S&H in the Calculator. In fact, it's even better, since it can be used in conjunction with another operation. I'm changing the Rand up a bit, too, so it plays more nicely with S&H. I'll have to do another video for Calculator.
roya
What if we had a way to easily add/remove applets with #define somewhere in the code when building the firmware? Also, maybe we can do the same for the core apps to have more room for applets?
chysn
roya wrote:
What if we had a way to easily add/remove applets with #define somewhere in the code when building the firmware? Also, maybe we can do the same for the core apps to have more room for applets?

If you're compiling it yourself, it's just a matter of removing or commenting out DECLARE_APPLET() lines from hemisphere_config.h (for Hemisphere). This is pretty straightforward, as there are no dependencies between applet files.

For the main O_C apps, see OC_apps.ino. Again, you can comment the DECLARE_APPS() lines. The apps' files will still be compiled, but the linker seems smart enough to exclude unreachable references, so there's nothing else you really need to do.

As for sizes of the apps: Copier Maschine (~12K), Harrington (~4K), Automatonnetz (~4K), Quantermain (~12K), Meta-Q (~19K), Quadraturia (~3K), Low-rents (~2K), Piqued (~6K), Sequins (~21K), D. Ping Pong (~2K), V. Sweet (~2K), Acid Curds (~13K). Each Hemisphere applet takes about 2K.

Note that the sizes above were determined with the pretty naive methodology of commenting the DECLARE_APP() line out and observing the difference in the size of the compiled binary.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 38, 39, 40  Next [all]
Page 2 of 40