MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Author Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
Shledge
It's already fairly easy - comment it out in apps.ino and it won't compile with the rest.

You can do the same for applets - go to hemisphere_config.h and add/remove from there.
kamindustries
This looks amazing! Apologies if this is redundant, but is there a list somewhere of all the applets currently available for Hemisphere, maybe with a 1-liner description of each? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
REVIVER
kamindustries wrote:
This looks amazing! Apologies if this is redundant, but is there a list somewhere of all the applets currently available for Hemisphere, maybe with a 1-liner description of each? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

https://butmostlycrime.blogspot.com/2018/07/hemisphere-beta-release-pf aq.html
chysn
Beta 3 is now available at http://www.beigemaze.com/hemisphere.html

Release notes:

* Clock Divider/Multiplier: Division/Multiplication value can now be under CV control (positive CV sets division, negative CV sets multiplication).

* Sample and Hold/Random: Removed applet

* Calculator: Added S&H functionality (set a channel's operation to "S&H" and send a clock to that channel's digital input to sample the corresponding CV input. The held value will be at that channel's output).

* Calculator: Change Random operation to clocked random (set a channel's operation to "Rnd". If the corresponding digital input is not clocked, random voltages will be sent from that channel's output. If a clock is sent, then the random signal will be sampled and held at each clock. Turning the encoder in either direction will turn off clocked operation).

Unless there are any actual bugs found, this will be the final Hemisphere beta release.
AnalogAssailant
Awesome chysn, thanks for doing this.

This, plus your other firmware coming down the pipe, has prompted me to order two more o_C modules.
Shledge
Clock divider seems to mute itself if I try and divide by CV - works fine if I'm multiplying a clock.
chysn
Shledge wrote:
Clock divider seems to mute itself if I try and divide by CV - works fine if I'm multiplying a clock.

So, you change the clock division value via CV and it stops emitting clocks?
Shledge
Pretty much, but only on 1/1 and the divisors. It kicks back in if I change it via encoder.
chysn
Shledge wrote:
Pretty much, but only on 1/1 and the divisors. It kicks back in if I change it via encoder.

Ok, thanks! Expect a fix tomorrow.
rayultine
I installed Hemispheres! I'm in love!

Can confirm that recording CV signals into Lofi Tape is glitchy awesomeness. There's no way pitch control or one-shot play could be programmed in, is there?
All sorts of audio->CV anarchy would ensue

Can also confirm that I do not need to buy a Plog anymore.
chysn
rayultine wrote:
I installed Hemispheres! I'm in love!

Can confirm that recording CV signals into Lofi Tape is glitchy awesomeness. There's no way pitch control or one-shot play could be programmed in, is there?
All sorts of audio->CV anarchy would ensue

Can also confirm that I do not need to buy a Plog anymore.

Thanks for trying it! I appreciate it.

Lofi tape was originally a one-shot thing (with digital 1 firing it), but it felt way better for me as a looper. Digital 1 now acts as a gated pause, which behaves a lot like a one-shot mode if you provide long gates with short pauses between them... or put a short gate through an inverter.

The O_C's interrupt fires every 60µs, which seems fast, but for audio it's downright pokey. There's really no place to go on pitch adjustment. One factor up or down, and it's inaudible or a squeaky mess. And there's no floating-point arithmetic on the M4 processor. This thing just wasn't built to be a sampler smile

I am planning an audio-rate CV sequencer for Hemisphere Suite, though, so keep an eye out for that.
Shledge
Same - it pretty much turns an o_C into two separate modules. Each applet is basic in functionality, but I actually prefer that - no nonsense, straight to the point, just like my doepfer modules.
chysn
Okay, this release should fix the clock divider under CV control. I wasn't able to shake it while testing. This is still beta 3, but the file in the archive will be called Hemisphere_beta3A.hex:

www.beigemaze.com/downloads/Hemisphere_beta3.zip
rayultine
Shledge wrote:
Same - it pretty much turns an o_C into two separate modules. Each applet is basic in functionality, but I actually prefer that - no nonsense, straight to the point, just like my doepfer modules.

Also, allows really fun self-patching opportunities!
chysn
I'd like to get some feedback on this, if you guys don't mind.

Right now, there's a CV Forwarding mode that routes the two left-hemisphere CV ins to the right hemisphere. I'm thinking that this is not, in practice, a useful feature.

What seems more useful is clock forwarding. I've been playing with this. Like CV forwarding, clock forwarding is activated by long-pressing the Down button. When you release it, the right hemisphere ignores its own incoming clock signals and clocks to the left hemisphere's incoming clock. The awesome thing is that you can hold the Down button until you want to switch over the clock, to time things just right.

I don't want to include both CV and clock forwarding. It's just too awkward, and this whole project is designed to avoid awkward interface elements. But I've just been having way more damn fun with clock forwarding than I ever did with CV forwarding, especially in Hemisphere Suite where I have the Turing Machine and the Euclidean drummer going at the same time.

What do you guys think?
rayultine
Uhh... I haven't played with that feature. Seems like it kinda needs a video to explain how both features work, and why CV forwarding isn't as much fun as you thought.

But yeah, I guess everytime I try to think of a reason where CV forwarding would be useful I come to the realization that I'm thinking of clocks and triggers rather than modulating CV. When you conceived the idea, which app combinations did you think would be most relevant?

Quote:
Lofi tape was originally a one-shot thing (with digital 1 firing it), but it felt way better for me as a looper. Digital 1 now acts as a gated pause, which behaves a lot like a one-shot mode if you provide long gates with short pauses between them... or put a short gate through an inverter.

That's where the allure of menus reveals itself. It would be wonderful to be able to switch that behavior to economize modules and patch cables razz

Quote:

There's really no place to go on pitch adjustment. One factor up or down, and it's inaudible or a squeaky mess.

Would it still be fun to play with fine-grained adjustments? Are you sure that "squeaky mess" doesn't sound awesome/weird to someone else's ears? lolz
BaloErets
chysn wrote:
I'd like to get some feedback on this, if you guys don't mind.

Right now, there's a CV Forwarding mode that routes the two left-hemisphere CV ins to the right hemisphere. I'm thinking that this is not, in practice, a useful feature.

What seems more useful is clock forwarding. I've been playing with this. Like CV forwarding, clock forwarding is activated by long-pressing the Down button. When you release it, the right hemisphere ignores its own incoming clock signals and clocks to the left hemisphere's incoming clock. The awesome thing is that you can hold the Down button until you want to switch over the clock, to time things just right.

I don't want to include both CV and clock forwarding. It's just too awkward, and this whole project is designed to avoid awkward interface elements. But I've just been having way more damn fun with clock forwarding than I ever did with CV forwarding, especially in Hemisphere Suite where I have the Turing Machine and the Euclidean drummer going at the same time.

What do you guys think?

I think you nailed it. Clock forwarding is so much more useful. If there was ever a way to be able to divide/multiply the clock being forwarded, that would be bananas nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana!

Thanks again for bringing this to the community. Really nice to finally see some addons to O_c pop up. What a great module with incredible devs like yourself supporting it! we're not worthy
AnalogAssailant
Quote:
What seems more useful is clock forwarding

Yeah thinking about it sharing the clock is much more likely to be done than sharing cv inputs.

Having said that I am the kind of person that would keep it all and omit nothing, but i get where you're coming from and so if i have to choose to keep one then it would be clock forwarding.
chysn
rayultine wrote:
Uhh... I haven't played with that feature. Seems like it kinda needs a video to explain how both features work, and why CV forwarding isn't as much fun as you thought.

Fair enough. There is a brief demonstration in the introductory video at about the 3-minute mark:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnGpu2jqeg8&t=3m0s. The CV data from CV inputs 1 and 2 are just passed to inputs 3 and 4.

Quote:
When you conceived the idea, which app combinations did you think would be most relevant?

I think I had the Calculator in mind, but it's such a narrow use case. Forwarding a single clock input makes so much more sense.

Quote:
Would it still be fun to play with fine-grained adjustments? Are you sure that "squeaky mess" doesn't sound awesome/weird to someone else's ears? lolz

It certainly could somebody's cup of tea, but there are plenty of ways to get that sound. Mainly my point is that there are no fine-grained adjustments. The sample rate must be the O_C's interrupt speed over some integer divisor, and this divisor has a narrow audible zone that makes pitch modulation less useful than the other options.
chysn
UPDATE: Beta 4 is now available at http://www.beigemaze.com/hemisphere.html

The only differences involve Master Clock Forwarding.

* CV Forwarding is replaced with Master Clock Forwarding.

Master Clock Forwarding works like this: Long-press the Down button for about 2 seconds. When you release it, you will activate Master Clock Forwarding. A clock icon will appear at the top of the display when Master Clock Forwarding is on.

When Master Clock Forwarding is on, an applet in the right hemisphere looking for a clock (or trigger) at its first input will look instead at the left hemisphere's first input. This allows you to clock two applets with a single clock signal patched to Ornament and Crime. Since Master Clock Forwarding is not active until the button is released, you may time activation and deactivation in time to your music.

To deactivate Master Clock Forwarding, long-press the Down button again.

Master Clock Forwarding applies when the the right hemisphere applet is looking for a clock. It does nothing when the applet is looking for a gated signal. The following applets will use the Master Clock:

Brancher
Dual Calculator (S&H or clocked random, channel 1 only)
Clock Divider
Dual Quantizer (channel 1 only)
Sequence5
Skewed LFO (reset on Master Clock)
Switch (sequential channel 1)
Turing Machine
Trigger Sequencer

* The Switch has been updated so that channel 1 is the sequential channel and channel 2 is the gated channel. This allows Switch to use the Master Clock.
SlyFrank
A recent post said this can take the place of a Plog. I love o_C, and have built a few, so I have one that I could load up with this cool-looking firmware (Meta-Q is one of my favorite o_C apps, so that is one of the apps I would like least to see be jettisoned, but no issue as I have an extra o_C...).

I have been weighing my options for a logic module for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger. This would be great if I could just load this firmware and have a full-featured logic module for 'free.'

I watched the YT video on the logic app but didn't get much detail out of it. Since I have an extra o_C module lying around this could resurrect it!

1) How many inputs are there for the logic - two or three?

2) Is it a dual logic module, like the Plog?

2) Can the logic 'flavors' be CV'd, like Plog?

None of these are deal-breakers, just trying to wrap my head around the logic app. Awesome work on this!

Thanks!
chysn
Remember that every Hemisphere applet splits the O_C exactly in half. So each one has access to two digital ins, two CV ins, two outs, one enocder, its corresponding button, and a 64x64 display.

So the Logic applet is configured as follows:

* The two digital inputs are the logical operands, in the form of high or low signals, like a gate
* The encoder is used to select a logical operator (and, or, xor, nand, nor, xnor) for each channel. The channel can also be set to “CV” to put the operator selection under CV control
* When the operator type is set to “CV,” the CV inputs set the operator for the corresponding channel
* The encoder button is used to move the selection cursor between the two channels
* The two CV outputs output the result of the corresponding operator on the two operands

It’s sort of a dual logic module in the sense that two logical operations are performed and output. But both operations use the same two inputs. Of course, you can set both Hemispheres to use the Logic applet for quad logic with two independent pairs of inputs.
BaloErets
SlyFrank wrote:
A recent post said this can take the place of a Plog. I love o_C, and have built a few, so I have one that I could load up with this cool-looking firmware (Meta-Q is one of my favorite o_C apps, so that is one of the apps I would like least to see be jettisoned, but no issue as I have an extra o_C...).

I have been weighing my options for a logic module for a while, but haven't pulled the trigger. This would be great if I could just load this firmware and have a full-featured logic module for 'free.'

I watched the YT video on the logic app but didn't get much detail out of it. Since I have an extra o_C module lying around this could resurrect it!

1) How many inputs are there for the logic - two or three?

2) Is it a dual logic module, like the Plog?

2) Can the logic 'flavors' be CV'd, like Plog?

None of these are deal-breakers, just trying to wrap my head around the logic app. Awesome work on this!

Thanks!

The Logic applet in Hemisphere is indeed amazing, and can recreate many of the functions of Plog, but doesn't replace it. I think in most situations, it really depends on your needs. Plog is a Logic workhorse. What you would be loosing is;

- Third input per logic operation
- built in attenuation/offset for CV over logic operations
- Toggle Flip Flop
- Data Flip Flop

There's also some nice normalization in Plog between the channels which can be configured to your liking via jumpers on the back.

I think the beauty of Hemisphere is that it packs a whole bunch of basic functions into a very clear and easy to use package. Depending on people's needs, basic functionality can often cover the task at hand. But I don't see it replacing dedicated modules anymore than thinking it was meant to do so thumbs up
Shledge
Flip flops can be done with the clock divider applet, I believe.
chysn
antofthesky wrote:
Are the help screen contents for each applet online anywhere, instead of just on the module? Would be nice to read.

These are finished, and available on the GitHub wiki: https://github.com/Chysn/O_C-HemisphereSuite/wiki
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Page 3 of 38