MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Author Hemisphere for Ornament and Crime
chysn
rayultine wrote:
chysn: what kind of excitement should we be getting excited for in hemisphere 1.8?

Good question! Keep in mind that 1.7 took us to over 97% memory usage, so 1.8 is mostly fulfilling a grab-bag of small feature requests, hammering on bugs, and integrating pull request contributions from other developers.

However, there are two significant features in 1.8:

(1) Support for the Northern Lights 2OC (Buchla-format) module. I'm getting lots of help with this from an actual Buchla user, on both the development and testing sides.

(2) A more tightly-integrated internal clocking system. You'll be able to call up the clock setup mode at any time by long-pressing the DOWN button. This replaces the category filtering system. Category filtering was a solution in search of a problem, I think, and having instant access to the clock will be much more useful.

Also, a bunch of scales that were removed from OC 3.4 (because of memory constraints) have been replaced.

I'm expecting the release to be near the end of April.
bemushroomed
Great to hear, really looking forward to 1.8!
Southfork
1.8 Yes! I find myself having my u_oc module mainly in hemisphere these days thumbs up
Sync
Sounds like it would be worth setting up a build config file that you can use to pick and choose what modules you want to include-- in order to make room for additional modules at the expense of modules you may not need. Maybe that already exists?
chysn
Sync wrote:
Sounds like it would be worth setting up a build config file that you can use to pick and choose what modules you want to include-- in order to make room for additional modules at the expense of modules you may not need. Maybe that already exists?

Anybody who compiles it themselves can use the hemisphere_config.h file to choose which applets to leave out. But that's not the solution for musicians who just want to use it without fussing with the IDE.

Another option is a web-based interface that knows the size of each applet, allows you to pick enough to fill memory, and then compiles a customized hexfile for you to download. This is technically really easy, but the mere thought of actually doing such a project bores me to the soul, and isn't worth the no money involved.

No, the only real solution is more memory, which will come from Teensy 3.5 or 3.6, which will come from using Spoken Into The Void. I hope to get a good start on that over the summer.
Maximars
As long there’s no more memory left, maybe you could rework the firmware of „Temps Utile“. spinning spinning spinning spinning

There wouldn't be a lack of good ideas. hihi

I’m just kidding.

Thank you for everything!
qbassa@gmail.com
Is VectorEG envelope speed cv controlled or the speed is only set with the waveform editor? If not - Is it possible to add speed modification control? It could be -5V is 5 times slower EG, +5V is 5 times faster. Best!
nectarios

After procrastinating, I finally got round to doing it. I have a uOC that I left with the "normal" firmware.

Time to search and read up on the site instructions.
chysn
qbassa@gmail.com wrote:
Is VectorEG envelope speed cv controlled or the speed is only set with the waveform editor? If not - Is it possible to add speed modification control? It could be -5V is 5 times slower EG, +5V is 5 times faster. Best!

The speed is controlled by the frequency (in Hz) from the panel, not from the waveform editor. That its speed is in Hz as opposed to seconds (or ms) is a by-product of its kinship with the other Vector applets.

The speed is not currently CV-controllable. The CV inputs are unused, and under normal circumstances, back in 2018, I'd have said, "Yeah, that's a good idea, I'm going to do that." But now, memory is really tight, with literally hundreds of bytes remaining. So I can't promise that this can happen. It is near the top of the list, though.

nectarios wrote:
After procrastinating, I finally got round to doing it.

Thanks for trying it out!
Dibek
I really liked the possibility to automate recording and playback on the cv recorder but it seems to be gone in the latest version (haven't updated for a while)

Am I missing something and if not, might this feature be reintroduced?

Thanks!
chysn
Dibek wrote:
I really liked the possibility to automate recording and playback on the cv recorder but it seems to be gone in the latest version (haven't updated for a while)

Not sure what you mean. All four inputs of CV Recorder have always been the same. Digital 1 advances to the next step and Digital 2 resets, and the CV inputs are the inputs for each track.
Dibek
chysn wrote:
Dibek wrote:

Not sure what you mean. All four inputs of CV Recorder have always been the same. Digital 1 advances to the next step and Digital 2 resets, and the CV inputs are the inputs for each track.

Sorry, I managed to confuse CV Recorder with LoFi Tape, it´s been a long day yesterday smile
chysn
Dibek wrote:
Sorry, I managed to confuse CV Recorder with LoFi Tape, it´s been a long day yesterday smile

Oh! Cool.
kall
chysn wrote:
Another option is a web-based interface that knows the size of each applet, allows you to pick enough to fill memory, and then compiles a customized hexfile for you to download. This is technically really easy, but the mere thought of actually doing such a project bores me to the soul, and isn't worth the no money involved.

If that's the direction you want to go, and have more applets to add, doing the web interface / compiler service part of that sounds like fun to me.

I'm not great with embedded stuff though. Do you already have a way to build a hex file from the command line?
chysn
kall wrote:
Do you already have a way to build a hex file from the command line?

No, and I'm only speculating wildly that it's even possible with the TeensyDuino stuff...

https://lifehacker.com/arduino-ide-now-supports-building-software-in-t he-comma-1740786363
pld
chysn wrote:
kall wrote:
Do you already have a way to build a hex file from the command line?

No, and I'm only speculating wildly that it's even possible with the TeensyDuino stuff...

https://lifehacker.com/arduino-ide-now-supports-building-software-in-t he-comma-1740786363

An alternative is to use platformio, but last I tried it means (at least) cleansing the .ino files. At which point it's almost as easy to rename them to .cpp and write a proper makefile.
kall
pld wrote:
An alternative is to use platformio

That could be a good option. I managed to compile something with some configuration. The result didn't do anything on my O_c, but maybe someone who actually understands the Hemisphere source can make it work without modifying the source code.
savethisrocketship
Hi,
Thanks to Chysn & the original O_C crew for this flexible module!

I’ve got a super mundane question that seems kind of silly but if anyone could save me some time it would be much appreciated:

I just received a built module that was supposed to have the latest version of hemispheres suite installed. It mostly looks good but seems to be missing the Enigma application, which was one I was most excited to experiment with. Enigma Jr. appears, as do all the others from the latest release from what I can tell...
Can anyone speculate why this might be the case? Have I misunderstood something?

Thanks
[Edit:] I’m guessing I have to reflash the FW but want to make sure I’m not overlooking something
chysn
savethisrocketship wrote:
I just received a built module that was supposed to have the latest version of hemispheres suite installed. It mostly looks good but seems to be missing the Enigma application, which was one I was most excited to experiment with. Enigma Jr. appears, as do all the others from the latest release from what I can tell...
Can anyone speculate why this might be the case? Have I misunderstood something?

Keep in mind that Enigma is a full app, while Enigma, Jr. is a Hemisphere applet. So you'll need to leave Hemisphere by holding down the right button for a couple seconds to return to the main menu. Enigma should be the fourth app down, under The Darkest Timeline.
savethisrocketship
Ok, that was a fundamental misunderstanding that I thought might be happening. d'oh!

Thank you very much!
qbassa@gmail.com
Any news on 1.8 release and CV-controllable VectorEG? wink
versipellis
I'm coming from stock o_C and would love some help. My main two are Quantermain and CopierMaschine. It seems like in Hemispheres we have "A"SR, ShiftReg, Scale Duet Quantizer, as well as Enigma and Enigma Jr. Are these the closest ones to Quantermain and CopierMaschine?

With regards to CopierMaschine in particular, I understand how Enigma is different from a normal Turing machine, but how is "A"SR and ShiftReg different, and can they be combined with a Turing machine algo?
BaloErets
versipellis wrote:
I'm coming from stock o_C and would love some help. My main two are Quantermain and CopierMaschine. It seems like in Hemispheres we have "A"SR, ShiftReg, Scale Duet Quantizer, as well as Enigma and Enigma Jr. Are these the closest ones to Quantermain and CopierMaschine?

With regards to CopierMaschine in particular, I understand how Enigma is different from a normal Turing machine, but how is "A"SR and ShiftReg different, and can they be combined with a Turing machine algo?

I would say that nothing in Hemisphere has the depths of CopierMachine, but A'SR would be the closest you will get. If you have it loaded in both hemispheres, they become linked so you get 4 outputs.

ShiftReg is very similar in functionality to the Music Thing Modular Turing Machine.

Enigma is a very functional Shift Register like ShiftReg, with the ability to save and load captured (for a lack of a better word) "patterns". The Jr. applet is more of a playback engine of those captured patterns.
Otto L
I apologise upfront if I missed it (MW search function not working doesn't help) but yesterday I tried to vary the clock skipper probability with a CV - and miserably failed, I could not achieve any change in probability with whatever voltage source I used - LFO, manual voltage,... Setting probability with the encoder worked fine and also the CV inputs worked as they should it at least one or 2 other HS functions I tried. Same for both skippers in the module. Does this sound familiar to anyone and if not, what might I be doing wrong? I installed the latest FW a couple of weeks back.

Thanks in advance for any help.
MATSmile
Any info on when the Buchla adoption of the Hemisphere will be ready?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next [all]
Page 37 of 38