MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Building an electronics pantry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Building an electronics pantry
underthebigtree
I've uploaded the latest video in my series on SDIY. This one is about assembling a basic collection of fundamental electronic components to aid in the creation process.

whoop_john
What's the difference between a vestry and a pantry? Can we have an electronic vestry also?
Astrolabe23
To have a vestry, your electronics lab would need to be a church.
flts
How about an "electronics larder"?
abelovesfun
I put resistors in bags and keep them in order in a collectable card box. Tons of resistors in a VERY small space, and arguably easier to find.
widdly
I sort mine by the first two bands. so 100 ohm 1k, 10k, 100k etc in separate bags in the same drawer. Same thing with capacitors. I end up with 13 drawers with 5 or 6 bags in each drawer.
Misk
whoop_john wrote:
What's the difference between a vestry and a pantry? Can we have an electronic vestry also?

"Pantry" is a much older, pagan word—the root of which refers to the trickster deity Pan.

"Vestry" (which comes from "vestaments") was created by the church in an effort make pagans feel a sense of familiarity with their newer religion. Christians appropriated "Pantry" and changed the meaning, much in the way the christmas tree was introduced to christmas for a similar reason.

Other words, like "Gentry" derived from Vestry and Pantry in England in the early 1800s as a form of street slang (Used to refer to a Bar, or Pub—literally a "place to store the gents").

hmmm.....
cretaceousear
Really - I thought they were for pants and vests?

Capacitors should be kept in a conservatory,
rectifiers in a suppository
and resistors in a nunnery
ashleym
Pots in the kitchen?

I won’t go there with transistors

But I will suggest Darlingtons in Darlington.
whoop_john
Misk wrote:
whoop_john wrote:

"Pantry" is a much older, pagan word—the root of which refers to the trickster deity Pan.

"Vestry" (which comes from "vestaments") was created by the church in an effort make pagans feel a sense of familiarity with their newer religion. Christians appropriated "Pantry" and changed the meaning, much in the way the christmas tree was introduced to christmas for a similar reason.

Other words, like "Gentry" derived from Vestry and Pantry in England in the early 1800s as a form of street slang (Used to refer to a Bar, or Pub—literally a "place to store the gents").

Vestiarium was in latin use, meaning a place to store clothes and by the middle ages had become vestiarie and later vestry.

A pantry was from the latin panis, bread, through the old french paneterie into the word pantry. The word came into England with the Norman Conquest.

Gentry is again old french, from genterie, gentil meaning high-born and genterie those who are high-born gentilhommes, gentlemen.

A buttery was where they stored butts - not not those ones - beer butts or butts containing other alcoholic beverages.
Dave Kendall
So I guess it really ought to be called a Party then. smile
Misk
whoop_john wrote:
Misk wrote:
whoop_john wrote:

Vestiarium was in latin use, meaning a place to store clothes and by the middle ages had become vestiarie and later vestry.

A pantry was from the latin panis, bread, through the old french paneterie into the word pantry. The word came into England with the Norman Conquest.

Gentry is again old french, from genterie, gentil meaning high-born and genterie those who are high-born gentilhommes, gentlemen.

A buttery was where they stored butts - not not those ones - beer butts or butts containing other alcoholic beverages.

ah, but you see, I was making all of this up. i'm sure i could've put that creativity to better uses. hihi
whoop_john
Misk wrote:
ah, but you see, I was making all of this up. i'm sure i could've put that creativity to better uses. hihi

smile Ah, taking a cue from Trumpikins, I get it.
Jumbuktu
Reminds me of the classic Two Ronnies news story: 'The vicar's been caught having an affair with his housekeeper. They found his vest in her pantry and her pants in his vestry.'
Rex Coil 7

Misk
that fourth pic is a little standoffish This is fun!
Rex Coil 7
Misk wrote:
that fourth pic is a little standoffish This is fun!
Misk everyone ... let's give him a big warm round of applause ... he'll be at the Airport Hilton all week at 11:00 ... right after the Karaoke and open mic shows ... up next let's hear it for Tortuga The Great and his singing turtle!

applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause

( ... lol ...)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1