MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Thoughts & ramblings about simplicity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Thoughts & ramblings about simplicity
Oxix52
For the last few years, I have not been able to create as much as I did before with my Buchla and other musical gear. One big factor has been time. My family is bigger and requires more from me than before. I'm not complaining about it, but my point is that when I do have a bit of time to create, it is usually very little. I often find myself trying to quickly get an idea down and develop it before I have to leave it. This leads me to sometimes overlook some of the simple things that make music and sound beautiful. This has also led to a lack of inspiration.

Today, I found myself with about an hour free to play with my Buchla. For some reason, instead of playing with a sequence of notes like I usually do, I ran the mod oscillator of the 261e through the 285e frequency shifter and then out to the 227e. I had forgotten how beautiful the interactions of frequencies and timbres are. Little subtle movements of the knobs create new sonic universes that morph and blend in such unique ways. It's not always about finding the sweet spots, its more about moving through the sweet spots with modulation that makes the magic.

Such small simple things can be so deep and pleasing. In my rush to create during my small windows of time, I have to remember to be subtle and simple. For me, that's usually where the beauty lies.
vgermuse
Well put!

I couldn’t agree more.

I’ll share this...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdndvwf6n30pjrp/todd%27%27s%20analog%20aphor isms.pdf?dl=0

Happy Exploring w00t
Oxix52
This is fantastic, Todd! applause applause Thanks for sharing! we're not worthy
ashleym
It’s ALWAYS Worth thinking about how and why you do things. “Limiting “ your options is a classic technique used by artists. My usual answer is Oblique Strategies.
Michael Tiemann
I keep going back and forth myself: complexity/ simplicity/ complexity/ simplicity.
LVU
nice aphorisms todd! thanks for sharing!
knobs.
same complexity/simplicity cycle for me.

i love both, i prefer simplicity but that's hard to remember when the complexity cycle hits.
mirf59

I am going to put some wind in Barry's sails, here. I would like to remind Mr. Oxix52 that his music remains on heavy rotation for me while at work, and has at times been an indispensable part of getting me through the day.

Even if Barry does not generate another sound he publishes up into the cloud, he has done me a tremendous service, having contributed somewhat to the soundtrack of my life.

Oxix52
mirf59 wrote:

I am going to put some wind in Barry's sails, here. I would like to remind Mr. Oxix52 that his music remains on heavy rotation for me while at work, and has at times been an indispensable part of getting me through the day.

Even if Barry does not generate another sound he publishes up into the cloud, he has done me a tremendous service, having contributed somewhat to the soundtrack of my life.

Thanks, Brian. That really means lot to me that some of my work has had a positive contribution in some small way to you. I hope that, sometime soon, I can get my creative juices flowing again and also have the time to create again.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1