MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Joranalogue FILTER 8 - Multimode Filter/8-Phase Oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Joranalogue FILTER 8 - Multimode Filter/8-Phase Oscillator
joranalogue
A filter like no other

Representing the cutting edge in modular analogue voltage controlled filter (VCF) design, Filter 8 offers more possibilities and higher fidelity in 12 HP than ever before.

Starting from the classic OTA-style 4-pole cascaded lowpass (LP) topology, Filter 8 features separate LP outputs, each with their own character. Additional filter responses are achieved by pole mixing: 1-pole highpass, a special band boost and notch response, phase shifter and 4-pole bandpass. All outputs are available simultaneously.

Key to Filter 8's performance is the innovative resonant feedback circuit. By increasing the resonance, all outputs will resonate at the filter frequency, without any low frequency response loss. At higher resonance levels, self-oscillation is achieved, turning the module into an excellent 8-phase sine wave voltage controlled oscillator (VCO) with temperature and switchable gain compensation, low distortion, constant amplitude and accurate frequency tracking over at least 5 octaves. At sub-audio frequencies, Filter 8 can function as an 8-output voltage controlled slew modifier or 8-phase low frequency oscillator (LFO).

Simultaneous exponential and linear frequency modulation is possible, for classic FM tones or chaotic modulation. A hold feature is also provided, 'freezing' the output voltages manually or under gate control. This is useful for halting modulations, or as a sync-like effect at audio frequencies. The dedicated ‘ping’ input allows you to easily create crisp percussive sounds with different timbres.

While rooted in the legacy of classic synthesisers, Filter 8 provides a new approach to musical signal generators and modifiers: instead of simply a VCF, VCO, slew modifier or VCLFO, a single analogue module can now be any of those, and anything in between.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/filter-8-feedback-drive[/s]
[s]https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/filter-8-electric-marimba[/s]
 [s]https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/filter-8-multi-phase-drone[/s]
More on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joranalogue/sets/filter-8

Available now! Rockin' Banana!

More info: https://joranalogue.com/filter-8
ModularGrid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/joranalogue-audio-design-filter-8

Pricing: €295 / £260 / $295 (MSRP)
12 HP, 30 mm deep
Switchzik
Sounds nice and look very versatile. Pre-ordered It's peanut butter jelly time!
brownbreaddead
Nice demos! Considering a preorder.
cackland
The pre-order page does not list the United States...
joranalogue
cackland wrote:
The pre-order page does not list the United States...

The webstore only ships directly within the EU, so that's why not all countries are listed on the checkout page, but pre-orders will be available from my US dealers as well. They should go up very soon, otherwise check with your retailer of choice. Thanks for your interest!
cackland
Great, thanks.

Look forward to this.
timoka
the specs of this filter are absolutely amazing! congratulations!
a question about the ping input...does it react to different volumes or is it like the r*s vcfq ping input, eg converts any gate or trigger into an uniform strike signal?
thanks

edit: and what's the lowest frequency possible with cv in in lfo mode?
joranalogue
timoka wrote:
the specs of this filter are absolutely amazing! congratulations!
a question about the ping input...does it react to different volumes or is it like the r*s vcfq ping input, eg converts any gate or trigger into an uniform strike signal?
thanks

Thanks!

It's the second option: identical pings are created from any gate, trigger or even continuous signal. But you get different timbres on all of the outputs: BP4 for example is the most 'pure', great for bongos etc, while the others each have a unique transient. The lowpass ones for example are nice for kick drums. And of course, the decay is determined by the (voltage controllable) resonance amount. Add linear FM to taste and you're off to ping heaven! SlayerBadger!
joranalogue
Quote:
edit: and what's the lowest frequency possible with cv in in lfo mode?

2.8 mHz aka 6 minutes! No need for CV, you can reach this minimum with the knobs.
timoka
thanks, so it's like a comparator at the ping input? with continuous signals, how does that work exactly?
boramx
killer feature set here.
joranalogue
timoka wrote:
thanks, so it's like a comparator at the ping input? with continuous signals, how does that work exactly?

A ping will be triggered whenever the input goes above +3 V. It then needs to go below +2 V before another ping can be triggered. This avoids unwanted multiple triggers when a continuous signal, such as a sine wave, is used as the ping input.

The exact circuit used is known as a Schmitt trigger. It's nice because you can just patch away without worrying if your signal is 'suitable' for the gate or trigger input: as long as it the voltage reaches above +3 V, it'll work great. You'll find the hold input works the same, as do the gate inputs on Select 2 and upcoming modules.
joranalogue
Here's a new demo video by prototype tester Nordlys highlighting some Filter 8 self-oscillation tones. Check it out!

lisa
joranalogue wrote:
Here's a new demo video by prototype tester Nordlys highlighting some Filter 8 self-oscillation tones. Check it out!

It has a nice reverb. wink

Jokes aside, I love the specs and sound of this filter. I will get me one at some point.
joranalogue
lisa wrote:
It has a nice reverb. wink

Some people need a bit of space. wink
StateAzure
Am I crazy for wanting to swap my Three Sisters for the Filter 8? The Filter 8 just sounds way better to my ears, in terms of just standard filtering. Never was very impressed with Three Sisters though, especially the LP.

Any rough date to when pre-orders would start to get shipped out?
joranalogue
StateAzure wrote:
Am I crazy for wanting to swap my Three Sisters for the Filter 8? The Filter 8 just sounds way better to my ears, in terms of just standard filtering. Never was very impressed with Three Sisters though, especially the LP.

Thanks! I don't have experience with the Three Sisters and try not to comment too much on other manufacturer's modules, but I'm sure you'll enjoy F8! It's a cascaded lowpass topology vs. I suspect state-variable, and the resonance circuitry on F8 is completely unique to my knowledge, so it does sound quite different from 3S and other filters currently available.

I just spoke to the assembly house and I'm hoping to ship them out early August. But pre-orders have gone a bit crazy and the batch is almost completely sold out, so it's going to be quite a ride getting everything tested, calibrated and packed! It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana
StateAzure
joranalogue wrote:
StateAzure wrote:

Thanks! I don't have experience with the Three Sisters and try not to comment too much on other manufacturer's modules, but I'm sure you'll enjoy F8! It's a cascaded lowpass topology vs. I suspect state-variable, and the resonance circuitry on F8 is completely unique to my knowledge, so it does sound quite different from 3S and other filters currently available.

I just spoke to the assembly house and I'm hoping to ship them out early August. But pre-orders have gone a bit crazy and the batch is almost completely sold out, so it's going to be quite a ride getting everything tested, calibrated and packed! It's peanut butter jelly time! Dead Banana

Ok, pretty soon then! If I do miss this batch, would it be a long wait until next? (if ordering from you direct that is)
joranalogue
StateAzure wrote:
joranalogue wrote:
StateAzure wrote:

Ok, pretty soon then! If I do miss this batch, would it be a long wait until next? (if ordering from you direct that is)

It's too early to tell, but at least a few months. It shouldn't matter if you order from the webstore or a distributor. In the UK, Cymru Beats, Matttech Modular and Signal Sounds will carry F8 so pick your favourite/nearest retailer. smile
cackland
When will US resellers be commencing pre-orders?
lisa
Some point turned out to be soon. I pre-ordered from Schneidersladen the other day. thumbs up
joranalogue
cackland wrote:
When will US resellers be commencing pre-orders?

I'm expecting them to go up at Perfect Circuit Audio and Analogue Haven anytime now.
joranalogue
lisa wrote:
Some point turned out to be soon. I pre-ordered from Schneidersladen the other day. thumbs up

Thank you, hope you'll enjoy the module! w00t
j_dowe
joranalogue wrote:

I'm expecting them to go up at Perfect Circuit Audio and Analogue Haven anytime now.

Nice! I'm planning to order both the Filter 8 and Select 2 from Perfect Circuit.

applause
Puscha
Looks like a Dr. Octature III, two inputs andmore options for filtering and voices which is what was missing from and why I sold my Dr Octature II! Miss that lovely underwater sound though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3