MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Suggestions for creating a eurorack tanpura
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Suggestions for creating a eurorack tanpura
Pale Rider
Looking for some suggestions on a fun take of a tanpura-
multiple voices, something to mimic the tone on classical Indian instruments,
and non-percussive-

Thanks in advance.
R.U.Nuts
Mutable Instruments Rings in sympthetic strings mode should get you close. Fed with noise or the internal exciter and depending on the settings it can sound like a gu zheng or a santoor. I imagine if you experiment with other exciter sounds you might also be able to mimic a tanpura.
Of course I'd be curious if somebody here comes up with an idea about how to patch such a sound with vanilla VCOs as a source...
luketeaford
Use wavefolders. This is the DPO final out, an 0-coast, a subcon vampire windowed waveform, and a separate sine wave through VCM.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/luketeaford/tambura[/s]
windspirit
Use rings with a 4 step sequence and a quantizer. If you want something more "authentic" you can keep rings at the same pitch and use another oscillator in tune with it into the exciter input to turn on the different harmonics. Good luck getting the kind of precise tuning that you need for Indian classical out of it.
Pale Rider
Thanks for the suggestions-
I'm really chasing those long drones, not pulses

I'll chase down a Rings for sure- anything else?
windspirit
Thats why I would suggest rings over something like an Intellijel Pluck, the input exciter is pretty important. Plus the "resonant string" mode is more or less what you are going for with a tanpura sound.

Have you considered just loading a tanpura sample into a sampler?
Pale Rider
I have-
I plan on doing some post-Rings processing as well-

just wanted to get some ideas about a cool source first-

Thanks!
Dcramer
I’ve gotten some lurvly tones out of the Elements by patching a frequency sweeping pulse wave into the external inputs.
Using a Doepfer antenna to sweep the pulse frequency makes for a very cool almost air-harp like instrument.
Add a wee solo and viola:

Mind, try as hard as I might, I’m never gonna get it to look as sweet as that plastic boxy thing woah
savethisrocketship
Dcramer wrote:

Mind, try as hard as I might, I’m never gonna get it to look as sweet as that plastic boxy thing woah

hihi hihi hihi

That video was most excellent SlayerBadger!

Makes me want to get the Doepfer theremin! w00t
MindMachine
[quote="savethisrocketship"]
Dcramer wrote:

And six pounds of rings... and Rings.
Pale Rider
Thanks for that, Dcramer.

That's the sort of inspiration I was looking for!
Human Koala
i've played with indian musicians last week, tabla, sitar and i can tell the makenoise telharmonic fits well and it excel in that kind of sounds wink

that's another part of the live so i don't play it the classic way but you can hear the modular synth playing drones

Video FB
Pale Rider
Human Koala wrote:
i've played with indian musicians last week, tabla, sitar and i can tell the makenoise telharmonic fits well and it excel in that kind of sounds wink

that's another part of the live so i don't play it the classic way but you can hear the modular synth playing drones

Video FB

very cool!
electricanada
Human Koala wrote:

Video FB

Wow, great singer. Thanks for turning me on to him.
Dcramer
[quote="MindMachine"]
savethisrocketship wrote:
Dcramer wrote:

And six pounds of rings... and Rings.

lol that’s what rings were before Rings!
electricanada
I just picked up my brand-new full-size male tanpura from Naeem Sitarmaker at the post office this afternoon, and sang with it for about two hours non-stop. There is no machine that even comes close to the inspiration of an acoustic tanpura.
spukhaft
electricanada wrote:
I just picked up my brand-new full-size male tanpura from Naeem Sitarmaker at the post office this afternoon, and sang with it for about two hours non-stop. There is no machine that even comes close to the inspiration of an acoustic tanpura.

I was looking at the real thing as well.
captjrab
Another vote for the Telharmonic. Pretty close sounding to the Raginii.
leftbracket
I'm just wondering how to simulate that "Ladies–Gents" knob hihi
electricanada
spukhaft wrote:
electricanada wrote:

I was looking at the real thing as well.

They're not cheap unless you're in India. It cost me a little over $1000 to have a full-size tanpura made and shipped from India to the US. If you shop by price it's risky business. I paid top dollar to a middleman I trust in order to avoid getting ripped off.

When playing tanpura, you can't really do much else at the same time except sing. The only reason to own the real thing is if you want to sing with it. Since I sing ragas every day it was worth it to me.

If you just want to lay a tanpura drone into a track, it's much more cost-effective to use a recording. A recording will sound a lot better than a shruti box or an electronic substitute. Only the real thing gives off all the harmonics in full bloom.

If you want to go for it, in the US I recommend ordering from either Rain City Music or Musician's Mall. I've bought three instruments from Lars at Rain City and he has taken very good care of me.
electricanada
double post
johnstilton
Dcramer wrote:
I’ve gotten some lurvly tones out of the Elements by patching a frequency sweeping pulse wave into the external inputs.

Wow this is really very musical. I love the harmonics getting clipped periodically which sounds very "jawari-esque." Thanks for the inspiration!
iheartmodular
any module dipped in batter and deep fried?

sorry Dead Banana

for this I use iPad app iTablePro it is excellent
createsounds
Pale Rider wrote:
anything else?

why not just buy one of the boxes?
they're not that expensive

and its electronic,
like synth music... no?

you could easily DIY an output on it
Misk
delays feeding back into each other, tuned to the fundamental you want, * however many modes you want to emulate! none of this "rings" shit! I say you're no real synthesist unless you're doing it the old fashioned way—build your own waveguides from scratch with 12u of delays and filters! Ya damn kids!

Exxxcellent
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2