MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build] Dannysound - EN129 Analog Thru Zero Oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author [Build] Dannysound - EN129 Analog Thru Zero Oscillator
Monobass
Build Documents and schematics here - https://www.thonk.co.uk/documents/dannysound/

Buy here - https://www.thonk.co.uk/product-category/manufacturer/dannysound/

Adding more info soon, but as a teaser

ChartreKhan
Hey, are there going to be schematics released for this or the Cali OSC? I want to know if i could build it with my own panel design or add / remove features to my taste. I feel like it's unreasonable not to provide schematics for these builds because they are both based on openly available oscillator designs, and seemingly make only small changes to each.
dannysound
ChartreKhan

Yes I'm happy to supply schematics they're part of the plan and will be available in a few weeks smile
dannysound
ChartreKhan

Yes I'm happy to supply schematics they're part of the plan and will be available in a few weeks :)
rhodopsinist
It sounds really deep and thick in the teaser as they are FMing each other, but is it possible to have the standalone demo for each oscillator to see how actually good they are?
Monobass
rhodopsinist yeah that's coming soon
Dude55
Is there any possibility that the Thonk kit will have a black panel option for this?
Monobass
Dude55 wrote:
Is there any possibility that the Thonk kit will have a black panel option for this?

It's not impossible, but not in the next couple of months.
Jumbuktu
I like the look of both of these, but I wish he had created a better brand name. I am not sure I want to have modules with 'DannySound' sitting in my rack.

The Thonk kits are labelled for 'Advanced' builders. Looking through the build guide, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly challenging - all through-hole. You do need an oscilloscope for calibrating, but a PC app could handle this. Maybe it's because of the price? GBP195 is a lot to drop if there is a risk of mistakes (not saying it is unreasonable).

Will be getting one of each when I have the cash. Would pay extra for black panels!
rhodopsinist
Monobass wrote:
rhodopsinist yeah that's coming soon

Yay! if it can go as deep and thick as/than makenoise STO especially in low pitches I will not hesitate to give out my money for it~~~
Monobass
Jumbuktu wrote:
The Thonk kits are labelled for 'Advanced' builders.

Well it's "Not recommended for beginners" that we say specifically on the site and documentation, they are nicely laid out boards with nothing particularly tricky part by part but the price and length of the build do lend themselves better to builders with a few modules under their belt.
cygmu
If, as seems likely, this module is based on the Electronotes 129 through zero VCO, I think it would be more than appropriate to give credit to the original designers in the documentation and product page, and to include a link to the original article, which Bernie has made available for free.

http://electronotes.netfirms.com/EN129.pdf

It's great that this oscillator will be readily available for people, but I find it pretty disappointing that this credit hasn't been given.
Monobass
cygmu wrote:
If, as seems likely, this module is based on the Electronotes 129 through zero VCO, I think it would be more than appropriate to give credit to the original designers in the documentation and product page, and to include a link to the original article, which Bernie has made available for free.

http://electronotes.netfirms.com/EN129.pdf

It's great that this oscillator will be readily available for people, but I find it pretty disappointing that this credit hasn't been given.

Actually Danny did write that in the short description and I've left it off the product page by accident. I've added it back in, naturally we aren't trying to hide anything as it's called the EN129 smile
cygmu
Monobass wrote:

Actually Danny did write that in the short description and I've left it off the product page by accident. I've added it back in

thumbs up
heapish
Jumbuktu wrote:
I like the look of both of these, but I wish he had created a better brand name. I am not sure I want to have modules with 'DannySound' sitting in my rack.

The Thonk kits are labelled for 'Advanced' builders. Looking through the build guide, there doesn't seem to be anything particularly challenging - all through-hole. You do need an oscilloscope for calibrating, but a PC app could handle this. Maybe it's because of the price? GBP195 is a lot to drop if there is a risk of mistakes (not saying it is unreasonable).

Will be getting one of each when I have the cash. Would pay extra for black panels!

The one i read required a scope...so thats generally classed as advanced.
Monobass
heapish wrote:
The one i read required a scope...so thats generally classed as advanced.

Nah it's strictly looking at audio rate AC to check waveform shapes, you could it by recording wavs on a computer and inspecting them or just using a free oscilloscope app, or by ear even if you are used to trimming sine waves to remove harmonics.

There is an optional step on the Cali to remove DC-offset where a scope is a bit quicker, but again this is easy to just see visually on a computer.
Monobass
Build Documents and schematics are here - https://www.thonk.co.uk/documents/dannysound/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1