MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build] Dannysound - Cali Oscillator (258 clone)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author [Build] Dannysound - Cali Oscillator (258 clone)
pugix
Here is my writeup with demo recordings. Great VCO!

http://pugix.com/synth/dannysound-california-oscillator/
Brunstein
Hiya, I've just built one, and have an issue. I wondered if you might know where to locate the problem, dannysound, and if you might have some ideas for solving it?

I must have done something wrong, as when I'm trying to calibrate the waveshape, the "sine shape" trimmer raises the pitch and doesn't really affect the waveshape.. I'm not getting a triangle or sine out of it.. I've attached a screenshot of the waveshape I'm seeing. Any ideas on what I've done incorrectly, and how I could rectify it?

It tracks really well, and can tell it's going to be great.. I just need to solve this issue somehow!

Thanks,

David
dannysound
Brunstein
Hi there, try checking Q2 2N5458 is correctly installed also check D1, D2, R24, R40, R41 and R42 are also correct. Also make sure the wave shape toggle switch is not in the middle position when calibrating the sine wave! :)
Brunstein
Hey Danny – sorted I think. I feel like an idiot, but I think the problem was the signal clipping on the way into my computer, rather than anything to do with the build! Getting on with your other oscillator now, and will test properly later. Thanks for your help!

David

dannysound wrote:
Brunstein
Hi there, try checking Q2 2N5458 is correctly installed also check D1, D2, R24, R40, R41 and R42 are also correct. Also make sure the wave shape toggle switch is not in the middle position when calibrating the sine wave! smile
breadman
Excited to grab a few panel/pcb sets and get these in my rack. Already have a couple Feedback Two59s which I love--nothing else sounds like a good Buchla osc!
dannysound
Brunstein
No worries that sort of thing happens to me all the time! Hope all goes well with the EN129, let me know if you have any difficulties.
Monobass
new video demo from DivKid

pugix
Monobass wrote:
new video demo from DivKid

Great tip on patching the pulse out to the wave shape CV in. I look forward to the demo of the Cali and the EN129 together.

Remember, as I noted in my blog post, the linear FM max depth can be increased by changing one resistor, if you like seriously deep linear FM.
efluon
Just soldered two of these.

Unfortunately on one I flipped one of the 2n3904's (I2). Now I turned that right, the led still only lights up when in square-shaper mode. And the shaper does not seem to work, there is only the triangle. Have I fried the transistor? Can I replace with a bc548 (which I have)?

On the other one during calibration I do not see a way to tune ws_trim to change the voltage to -12V. Maybe I misunderstood that step? It works fine otherwise.
dannysound
efluon
BC548 will probably work, make sure you check the pinout first though.
To set the WS_Trim, make sure waveform switch is in middle position and waveshape control is at 0 then adjust the trimmer so the output stops oscillating.
efluon
dannysound wrote:
efluon
BC548 will probably work, make sure you check the pinout first though.
To set the WS_Trim, make sure waveform switch is in middle position and waveshape control is at 0 then adjust the trimmer so the output stops oscillating.

Thanks!@

Just looked fresh at it and - d'oh! forgot to solder the wire-bridge on that one. Now it works fine. oops

WS_Trim calibration is same as with the other: After trimming the sine in saw position to just below the kink on the sine bottom, then switching to middle position, output voltage flatlines at about -10.4, which sounds ok to me (given that -12V is the lower rail voltage). In the build manual -12V is stated, so that is a remnant of another format?
dannysound
efluon wrote:
[In the build manual -12V is stated, so that is a remnant of another format?

Not really, the opamp output basically hits the rail (-12V) but in reality the output won’t go down that far. As long as it stops oscillating that’s the main thing.
Originally this test wasn’t included but I realised after watching the divkid video that the WS trim needs a few extra turns to get the most out of the middle waveshape and it’s probably the easiest way to set this trimmer.
efluon
[quote="dannysound"]
efluon wrote:
the opamp output basically hits the rail (-12V) but in reality the output won’t go down that far. As long as it stops oscillating that’s the main thing.

Ok, cool! Took them for a spin yesterday, they feel really nice!

The PCB's are so nice also, layout and quality, and altogether these are the best quality complete kits I have soldered yet.

If you get around to another build-tut-revision, I think it would be good to integrate some of pugix' suggestions
- less pictures. the component bags are very conveniently packed and suggestive (different to the instructions)
- shrink-wrapping transistors+tempco
- panel mounting. i did it similar to the way in the manual, which works as well, even though the panel and the pcb are angled afterwards but a word about that would have helped.
All these are obviously just construcive suggestions, it has been a very easy and satisfying build, even with my dumb late-night errors.

dannysound
efluon
Thanks for the kind words and I’ll bear those suggestions in mind.
I’ve just finished the build guides for the Timbre and VCA modules, for some reason it always seems to be an absolute pain getting them done. This time the formatting went all wrong so I’ve basically done them twice!
I have a load more modules that I need to finalise and get ready for release then I’ll see about updating those build guides.
Hope you have fun with the oscillators, Buchla designs are always interesting both sonically and electronically. In that regard I don’t mind saying I’m just as much a fan of these oscillators as everyone else!
Monobass
A reminder that Dannysound publish schematics for all their designs, the Cali is here - https://www.thonk.co.uk/documents/dannysound/Cali_Osc/schematics/
oldsoulsound
Anyone have power specs for this Oscillator? There are no specs on Modular Grid.
dannysound
oldsoulsound
Oh yes sorry meant to do this a while ago.

-12v is 35mA
+12 is 41mA
oldsoulsound
I had a question about the wave shape pot. Mine seems to go from sine to triangle or square depending on switch at about the 1 o'clock position and then doesn't seem to vary very much after that. Is that normal? By the way I am loving the sound of this oscillator. So interesting, a little quirky, and full of such rich tones. Loving it. Want to build another. Here are some screen shots of what I'm getting.

dannysound
oldsoulsound
It could be that the WS_TRIM pot needs a few more turns. Try monitoring the output with the switch in the middle position and adjust WS_TRIM until the oscillator cuts out that’s the correct setting. If the wave shape pot still seems a little too sensitive let us know!
oldsoulsound
Adjusted the WS Trim pot while in the middle position until the sound cut out. Also measured these voltages in circuit.
Try checking
R47 = 150k
R46 = only measured 50K
R36 = 106r
R34 = 0r (wire link)

I'm still finding that the wave shape adjusts at about 1oclock and doesn't change at all after.

When in the middle position the wave shape changes to a triangle at about 10oclock and doesn't alter at all after.
dannysound
oldsoulsound

I’ve checked against the ones we have here and they all work like that, so everything is correct.
The tolerance of the transistor that controls the waveshape varies so the range of adjustment accounts for that.

If you want to really fine tune the control you could try changing R1 from 150k to 130k or 120k but that’s splitting hairs really as it won’t make much difference in operation.
oldsoulsound
Thats what I have been suspecting. Thank you for all your help. Everything sounds fantastic. One last question for you. After adjusting the WS Trim so the sound cuts out in the middle position. I noticed my sine waves have a little kink at the bottom of the trough. Does that seem normal or should I adjust that out with the WS Trim or Sine Shape?
dannysound
oldsoulsound
Yeah adjust that out with the WS trim pot!
NTRMN
Hey everyone, first time poster here but I'm having some issues compiling the BOM for this build. Since I don't have a whole lot of money for the full kit, and since I live in the US, I think it'd wind up being a lot cheaper if I ordered everything (or the majority of the components) through Mouser. I've done a few kits in the past, but I've never actually bought a panel/pcb combo and sourced any of the components before, so I feel like I'm kind of in over my head. There are so many options out there, how do you know which ones to get?

The resistors seemed to be pretty easy, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the capacitors and pretty much everything in the "IC bag" portion of the BOM. For example, the BOM says I need 1 220pf standard ceramic capacitor and 1 100pf standard ceramic capacitor (C4 and C5 respectively). Obviously it's through-hole, so I can completely rule out all of the SMD components that come up, but it doesn't say if it's 50v or 100v, C0G or X7R, or the tolerance percentage. It doesn't seem like all caps are created equal, but how do you determine which ones to use?

Here's a link to the BOM that I've been working on with some mouser reference #'s for each component. It would be awesome if someone could double check to make sure I'm on the right track.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10qA9RdvZihd2-WER4fEoCXh2cfFJ3rfC/view  ?usp=sharing
Waz
Is there a more in depth calibration procedure. I am unable to get this thing to calibrate 1v/o only using one trim pot. Where does the master tune trim pot come into play? Whats a rule of thumb for panel settings and master tune settings before adjusting the 1v/o trim?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3