MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

WTF Oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author WTF Oscillator
PaulaM
Hello all,

After a break from the world of synths for a while (just over 12 months) I'm back with a bunch of new ideas and concepts. The first of these is the WTF Oscillator which is a whole new way of morphing from one wave to the next, something never done before.
It uses 32 waveforms, 28 all new and four classic (sine, saw, square and triangle) waveforms and everything is fully CV controllable well into audio range (around 2.5khz).

I'm about to launch a kickstarter (I'm just waiting for approval from Kickstarter) to raise money to build this. It will be available in BOTH euro-rack and MU format modules.

I recently showed this at the Brighton Modular meet and it was very well received.

Here's a couple of videos to wet your appetite, a full explanation of the new morphing technique will be given as soon as the kickstarter goes live;

WTF oscillator, Euro-rack format
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULW7t_82vjw

WTF Oscillator, MU format
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiElzoP4pZ4

Many thanks
Paula
MrNezumi
I'm looking forward to seeing the new video that will show more of the capabilities of your new oscillator.

I usually don't promote the idea of multiple threads about the same topic, but if it doesn't irritate the moderators, you should start a thread in the 5u forum. Over in 5u land people will likely be excited to see someone new making jumbo-sized modules. It's peanut butter jelly time!
MARK27
From your brief description, it sounds like a small wavetable oscillator. In what way is it different from that? Is it analog?

thumbs up
Sinamsis
Watching this with interest.
witchbutter
WTF?
Risc_Terilia
MARK27 wrote:
From your brief description, it sounds like a small wavetable oscillator. In what way is it different from that? Is it analog?

thumbs up

PaulaM wrote:
The first of these is the WTF Oscillator which is a whole new way of morphing from one wave to the next, something never done before.

I don't want to say anything more since Paula will give whatever details she wants to when she wants to but I've played with it and it's very cool.
gentle_attack
MARK27 wrote:

thumbs up

It sounds exactly like a Wavetable Oscillator. When I first saw the JCigler Piston Honda videos, I was like It's peanut butter jelly time! MY ASS IS BLEEDING screaming goo yo kind of changed my whole way of looking at this stuff.

I'm curious what the OP is getting at, because based on that very limited description (and the video which I have no idea what exactly is going on) it sounds like a morphing wavetable is what he is describing.
Chrutil
Hi Paula,
Very cool, I’m a big fan of both wave tables and your earlier work.
I have a PPG, a 002, some modules like a Richter Megawave and a variety of diy stuff so I’m a bit wave-tabled out, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on this morphing technique to see if it brings something new that I must have.
Really like that you are doing it large format, thanks for that.

Cheers
Sinamsis
I guess you’d have to know about Paula’s history. She developed the Monowave, which was a monosynth inspired by the PPG Wave. She was one of the founder of Modulus, which became Modal and she designed the 002 which is another Wave inspired creation, though distinctly different. I know she probably can’t comment but I suspect she was one of the driving forces behind developing the Modal euro modules, which unfortunately seem to have died on the vine. I love my 002 but my biggest gripe is that it is not a wavetable synth; it can’t acan through a table rather it’s a collection of single cycle wave forms. Not all wavetable oscillators are equal and I look forward to a solid description as so how this thing works and how it is novel. I agree the description is rather vague at this point. Glad to see that Paula is back to developing and creating. With her experience I’m sure this will have some unique features.
Hazza26
Paula demo'd this module to me at the Brighton meet. Sounded really great and very well thought out. If I wasn't broke I'd seriously consider grabbing one.

Not sure of Muffwiggler guidelines but IMO it might be worth posting in both Eurorack and 5U forums? I only stumbled across this thread because I did a search, would otherwise not have discovered it.
SmartBits
Kickstarter is live:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulamaddox/wtf-oscillator-for-eu ro-or-mu-format-modular-synth
PaulaM
Kickstarter is now 24% funded!

It's going well but we still need your help to make this happen, so please support us and share with your friends.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulamaddox/wtf-oscillator-for-eu ro-or-mu-format-modular-synth
stairwaytoevan
Need more money...
PaulaM
We're now 78% funded in 3 days, that's incredible!!

We now have a quick overview from DivKid who's going to be doing some videos in the near future;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_3-3SHqtgc
luketeaford
This sounds really good, but is it possible to have multiple simultaneous outputs? It seems a shame to not be able to use the front and back waves independently.
PaulaM
luketeaford wrote:
This sounds really good, but is it possible to have multiple simultaneous outputs? It seems a shame to not be able to use the front and back waves independently.

This isn't possible as the two waveforms need to be perfectly in sync to get the desired window transform to function.
PaulaM
We've added a cool new feature to the oscillator, wavetables for both front and rear waveforms, which you can use along with the window transform function.
All fully CV controllable.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulamaddox/wtf-oscillator-for-eu ro-or-mu-format-modular-synth/posts/2241767
luketeaford
PaulaM wrote:
luketeaford wrote:

This isn't possible as the two waveforms need to be perfectly in sync to get the desired window transform to function.

I might be misunderstanding the design, but it's using two waveforms from the same oscillator, so couldn't both front and back theoretically be made available? If front and back are two different oscillators it makes sense to me that you wouldn't do that.

The reason I ask is I often use sine and square outputs from the same oscillator for deriving subharmonics or making more complex timbres (sine wave FM or feeding back into linear FM can be a cool effect)
PaulaM
luketeaford wrote:

I might be misunderstanding the design, but it's using two waveforms from the same oscillator, so couldn't both front and back theoretically be made available? If front and back are two different oscillators it makes sense to me that you wouldn't do that.

The front and rear waveforms are generated from the same oscillator.

luketeaford wrote:
The reason I ask is I often use sine and square outputs from the same oscillator for deriving subharmonics or making more complex timbres (sine wave FM or feeding back into linear FM can be a cool effect)

with the window transform function can create a whole new set of harmonics that aren't possible with any other oscillator that I know of.

There would also need to be additional DAC circuitry and jack on the front. So this won't be possible.

Paula
Angroc
Looks awesome, sounds even more awesome!! Can't wait to get my mittens on one one day.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1