MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mixing & monitoring using a single speaker - MONO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Mixing & monitoring using a single speaker - MONO
lasesentaysiete
I only record mono sources. I do not use panning when tracking or mixing. A finished recording is often a single take mono track, no summing.

I am considering using a single speaker for monitoring and mixing. Partly because of my recording style explained above, and partly because of space limitations and my inability to properly set up a pair of stereo monitors in my room.

Will this limit me in any way? From what I can tell, it would be like listening to a guitar amp. And I do have headphones, just in case stereo occurs.
JohnLRice
Sounds like a reasonable plan, I can't think of a reason to not do this. thumbs up It could also be an advantage if you haven't purchased the speaker(s) yet since you can possibly get a higher quality single speaker instead of splitting your budget between two lesser quality speakers?

One thing to be aware of is that if you are using a stereo amplifier, instead of a single self powered monitor, and you don't have a speaker connected to one side there is a chance that side of the power amp could be damaged. (some amplifier channels will burn out if there is no load on their output) This isn't a problem with preamps.
lasesentaysiete
JohnLRice wrote:
It could also be an advantage if you haven't purchased the speaker(s) yet since you can possibly get a higher quality single speaker instead of splitting your budget between two lesser quality speakers?

yes, I thought of that advantage, too smile

The plan would be to use a powered monitor, so no risk of amp damage thumbs up
lasesentaysiete
lasesentaysiete wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
It could also be an advantage if you haven't purchased the speaker(s) yet since you can possibly get a higher quality single speaker instead of splitting your budget between two lesser quality speakers?

yes, I thought of that advantage, too smile

On that note, I just found a single Fostex PX-6 monitor at Juno for 100€. I will try and update this thread after I try it out.
criticalmonkey
used to do this all the time for tv commercial mixing - mono speaker, usually not too nice a speaker

last time i worked on a foley stage we tracked using only a single speaker - really enjoyed that from a tracking perspective - nice generic big speaker
i do wonder why we monitor one mic in 2 speakers sometimes....

only down side to it today is the audience is mostly listening in stereo or headphones
a good stereo mix is a tough competition for mono - assuming some complexity in frequency content

btw i know mixers who work in mono and then m/s to go stereo - like room ambience/ delay/ reverb in the s field -
keeps mono intact and gives some dimension to song as needed for those headphones spaces
i like the a lot depending on the genre
lasesentaysiete
criticalmonkey wrote:

i do wonder why we monitor one mic in 2 speakers sometimes....

only down side to it today is the audience is mostly listening in stereo or headphones
a good stereo mix is a tough competition for mono - assuming some complexity in frequency content

Yes, I figured mono would make more sense for me given the way I record. Also, given that I do not exploit stereo techniques at all during tracking or mixing, hopefully the single speaker will help me avoid muddying the frequency content.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1