MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Doepfer Envelopes A-141-4, A-140-2, A-142-2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author New Doepfer Envelopes A-141-4, A-140-2, A-142-2
albiedamned
Apologies if there's already a thread about these, but I couldn't find one.

http://www.doepfer.de/a1414.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/a1402.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/a1422.htm

They all say available in either June or July.

The A-140-2 in particular interests me. Two full, independent ADSR envelopes in 8 HP, with voltage control over some or all of the time parameters. You can control which parameters are affected by the CV input via jumper settings. I'd probably set it to control decay or maybe decay + release.

A-141-4 looks like a good module for polyphony. A-142-2 looks real interesting too. It sacrifices the sustain and independent release setting of the A-140-2, but it gives you built-in VCAs!

Nino
I found this on Doepfers website about the A-140-2 dual ADSR, which is really nice:

Quote:
By means of internal jumpers one can select which time parameters are controlled by the CVT input (e.g. D only or D+R or A+D+R) and in which direction (i.e. if an increasing CVT shortens or stretches the time parameter in question).
GNSDG
Very interested to see these popping up in stores.
R.U.Nuts
Nino wrote:
I found this on Doepfers website about the A-140-2 dual ADSR, which is really nice:

Quote:
By means of internal jumpers one can select which time parameters are controlled by the CVT input (e.g. D only or D+R or A+D+R) and in which direction (i.e. if an increasing CVT shortens or stretches the time parameter in question).

Yes, but I'm pretty disappointed that they implemented those duck-CV input instead of simple CV inputs for the VCAs that break the internal connection to the envelopes. And instead of the manual gate buttons (which probably are a PITA to push anyway if you have cables pluggd into the module) there should be the envelope outputs. This way you could use the VCAs and envelopes independent from each other.
This module could have been an instabuy for me but these design choices are pretty much dealbreakers.
MindMachine
R.U. Nuts - I think you are mixing the functions of the A-140-2 and the A-142-2.

The A-140-2 looks amazing. Two ADSR's in a small package w/ cv over whichever parameter you want to control. I was looking at buying two each of the Freq. Central CEM (Pro One) envelopes, but I can get this for the price of one of those.
dubonaire
albiedamned wrote:

The A-140-2 in particular interests me. Two full, independent ADSR envelopes in 8 HP, with voltage control over some or all of the time parameters. You can control which parameters are affected by the CV input via jumper settings. I'd probably set it to control decay or maybe decay + release.

A-141-4 looks like a good module for polyphony. A-142-2 looks real interesting too. It sacrifices the sustain and independent release setting of the A-140-2, but it gives you built-in VCAs!

Yes I think he made the A-141-4 to go with the A-111-4 Quad Precision VCO, the A-105-4 Quad Poly VCF and the A-132-8 Octal Poly VCA.

And then it looks he thought he may as well build on that and offer some other variants.
R.U.Nuts
MindMachine wrote:
R.U. Nuts - I think you are mixing the functions of the A-140-2 and the A-142-2.

I don't think so: I visited the Doepfer homepage to check this: A-142-2 is a dual AD/ASR envelope - VCA combo. But instead of having gate/trigger input, timing CV input and envelope output for the EGs and signal- and CV-input and signal output for the VCAs, Doepfer omitted the envelope outputs in favour of manual gate buttons which are probably impossible to hit with cables patched. Additionaly they hardwired the outputs of the envelopes to the CV ins of the VCAs and added inverted CV inputs which are mixed with the envelope CV in favour of simple CV inputs with switching jacks that break the internal normalization of EG out > VCA CV in.
Both this means that you can't use the envelopes and the VCAs independent from each other.
You're stuck using the envelopes exclusively for the built in VCAs and if you want to use another modulation source for a VCA you cannot use the corresponding envelope because there's no way of stopping it from modulating the VCA.
MindMachine
^ I see. They both share the same jumpers, but Nino was only referring to the A-140-2, which does not have the VCA's or Gate Buttons that you referenced.

I am pretty interested in that A-140-2. Simple design, but with the little adder of a CV for a time parameter.

The A-142-2 is versatile beyond my needs. Glad to see Dopefer kicking out these new complex, smaller designs in VCO's, ADSR's, etc.
albiedamned
Yeah, I'm going to buy an A-140-2 when it becomes available. I had been planning to get a second Contour, but this will give me two envelopes in the same space with full ADSR (Contour combines Decay and Release on a single knob). I'm sure it's going to be a bit fiddly with so many knobs in such a small space, and it doesn't have the shape control that the Contour has. Contour is a really nice module, but I already have one so I'll get the A-140-2 instead of a second.
slumberjack
nice to see doepfer goes dense.
ben_hex
The quad looks great, very much interested in their quad/poly range.

The 142-2 looks interesting. Reading the site the duck seems more like a mute than actually patching up a more variable duck/sidechain type patch. Which is a shame. A dual ducking unit with envelope/VCA for other use would be great.
Monotremata
The A-140-2 looks rad! Its kinda like two of the Blue Lantern ADSR I have in the same size package. All its missing is a linear/exponential switch, and the looping mode. The Blue Lantern has a "Time" CV too, and a manual knob for "Time", but theres no manual or even one page PDF for it anywhere that tells you what anything on the module actually does.
andybizarre
The A-140-2 is a no-brainer for me and will be purchased as soon as it`s available. I have to confess, I own a lot of envelope generators, but for plain ADSR, the humble A-140 sounds the most "musical" to me (hides) . Double envelope, same HP plus CV over envelope segments - I`m all in. SlayerBadger!
Rex Coil 7
slumberjack wrote:
nice to see doepfer goes dense.
Like they haven't been already?

They've been dense enough for many years. There's only so much you can wedge into a square inch of panel space before it becomes useless for human beings to use. Doepfer has skirted that edge with many modules for many years.

I find knobs with a 1/4" outer diameter to be the inside edge of ~dense~ and usefulness. And I have tiny baby diaper boy girly-man hands .... (with really nasty/bumpy/boney knuckles that are as effective as a knot-covered club ... or perhaps a sock full of rocks ... when stricken by them).
strangegravity
They are making it hard for me to not build a poly modular.
spinalbeatz
Definitely picking up an A-142-2!
vidret
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
And I have tiny baby diaper boy girly-man hands .... (with really nasty/bumpy/boney knuckles that are as effective as a knot-covered club ... or perhaps a sock full of rocks ... when stricken by them).

I tried clicking that as if it were a URL.
Rex Coil 7
vidret wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
And I have tiny baby diaper boy girly-man hands .... (with really nasty/bumpy/boney knuckles that are as effective as a knot-covered club ... or perhaps a sock full of rocks ... when stricken by them).

I tried clicking that as if it were a URL.
lol lol lol

Honestly speaking, I ripped off a riff from an old Saturday Night Live sketch ....

thumbs up
spinalbeatz
Has anyone spotted the A-142-2 in stores yet?
raylinds
Just as I was trying to cut back on my spending. very frustrating
spinalbeatz

We've got an actual product shot of the 142-2 now! Hoping that means it's coming soon.
southberry
Very temped to switch my A-140 for a A-140-2
Two ADSR for the same HP but with CV !!!! just need to see if the switch can replace the switch on the A-140 which is really useful in live situation.
DJMaytag
R.U.Nuts wrote:
Yes, but I'm pretty disappointed that they implemented those duck-CV input instead of simple CV inputs for the VCAs that break the internal connection to the envelopes. And instead of the manual gate buttons (which probably are a PITA to push anyway if you have cables pluggd into the module) there should be the envelope outputs. This way you could use the VCAs and envelopes independent from each other.
This module could have been an instabuy for me but these design choices are pretty much dealbreakers.

Do you DIY? It says there is a pin header on the back that would allow for some extra VCA in/ENV out action on a DIY breakout panel, as you're desiring. It would just cost you an extra 2-4 HP, depending on what you can squeeze onto a little panel.

While it's 3HP bigger than a Bastl Skis, I think the A-142-2 might be a better module for my setup.
GNSDG
Looks like Noisebug has a few of these
MindMachine
I only see 'e-mail for availability' at Noisebug. If Analog Haven doesn't have them in the US then likely no one will. They are still not up at Thomann either in Europe.

But damn... need a A-140-2 to go with my bank of A-140's and A-141 and A-142. hyper That will be a sweet suite.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2