MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Doepfer Envelopes A-141-4, A-140-2, A-142-2
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New Doepfer Envelopes A-141-4, A-140-2, A-142-2
circuitbent
On the A-140-2, I see that each channel has an "Out 2" and an "Out 1". Are these just mults of the same output signal?
DMR
circuitbent wrote:
On the A-140-2, I see that each channel has an "Out 2" and an "Out 1". Are these just mults of the same output signal?

Out 2 can be either the a normal or inverted envelope out (selectable via a jumper on the back of the module): http://www.doepfer.de/a1402.htm
MindMachine
I see they are available at Schneidersladen but not Thomann or Analog Haven.

They are 'now available' on Doepfers site: http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm
poatoae
Detroit Modular has the A-140-2 and the A-132-8 now.
suthnear
Just got the a140-2: it's a lot of envelope in a small space. The CVT parameter is normalled to a voltage source so you can increase (or decrease) the exponential nature of the time-based envelope segments just by turning it, which allows you to tune the shape of the envelope. The module has a number of jumpers that allow you to set various options so it's actually rather more well specified than it appears. The small pots work well, with a much smoother and more pleasing travel than I was expecting. I bought this for my desktop satellite but I may get another one for the main cases...

One small downside is that it seems to need a fairly large gate signal to open properly. The gates from my expert-sleepers es-40 expanders do not work well with it: decay doesn't work at all (release might not have, either). It worked fine with an es3, however. I will investigate this further when I have a chance.
suthnear
circuitbent wrote:

Yes. There is a jumper option that inverts one of the outs if you want.
MindMachine
suthnear wrote:
Just got the a140-2: it's a lot of envelope in a small space. The CVT parameter is normalled to a voltage source so you can increase (or decrease) the exponential nature of the time-based envelope segments just by turning it, which allows you to tune the shape of the envelope. The module has a number of jumpers that allow you to set various options so it's actually rather more well specified than it appears. The small pots work well, with a much smoother and more pleasing travel than I was expecting. I bought this for my desktop satellite but I may get another one for the main cases...

One small downside is that it seems to need a fairly large gate signal to open properly. The gates from my expert-sleepers es-40 expanders do not work well with it: decay doesn't work at all (release might not have, either). It worked fine with an es3, however. I will investigate this further when I have a chance.

SlayerBadger!

poatoae wrote:
Detroit Modular has the A-140-2 and the A-132-8 now.

Guinness ftw!

edit - scored the A-140-2 from Detroit. Thanks for the heads-up.
GNSDG
Any more experiences with these, esp. A-140-2?
MindMachine
Got mine in. Have left the jumpers as stock as frankly that is the config I will use most. I might change the second envelope to have CTG over 'all' instead of just decay. The smaller knobs still give detailed response. I think this thing is a great double envelope. Would be real good HP usage for a beginner rack. Very recommended, especially for a starter unit. Dense for 8HP.
Keltie
Of the new modules I’m most interested in the a142-2, the dual a/r vca combo. Does anyone have any further insight on when these are out? Doepfer website says July, and hasn’t been updated in a while. Any insider info?
Rigo
Keltie wrote:
Of the new modules I’m most interested in the a142-2, the dual a/r vca combo. Does anyone have any further insight on when these are out? Doepfer website says July, and hasn’t been updated in a while. Any insider info?

According to the Doepfer News page ( http://www.doepfer.de/new_e.htm ) that one should be available now.
MindMachine
Juno has one. https://www.juno.co.uk/products/doepfer-a-142-2-dual-envelope-controll ed/684451-01/

...maybe?
Keltie
Thanks rigo and mm. I’ll check with Juno that they’re actually in stock. I think that has come onto their page very recently, and no one else say that they have em... I d been checking at thomann who still don’t....
suthnear
suthnear wrote:

This was a PEBMAC: smoothing was turned on for that channel in silent way and it obviously just slowed down the slope enough that it didn't trigger the envelope properly. When I set it to 0, the envelopes trigger normally
Shledge
I noticed the A140-2 won't trigger properly with my nerdseq. It seems it's really picky about finding an "edge" in order to trigger rather than just a voltage level. Checked on the oscilloscope and found that the nerdseq's trigger outs have a very slight soft edge to them - works fine for everything else, but not for picky modules like the A-140-2. Amplifying the trigger outs works, but I'm wondering if it can be modded to be made more sensitive.

Other than that, it's a great little module. I like how I can CV control decay/release.
amalthea
Does anyone know if the A140-2 is pretty much the same as the original A140 x2? In other words, does it have the same shape/slope for the A+D stages, and the same range time ranges?
Shledge
Erm, being analogue modules, they will always be a bit different.

The A140-2 is pretty snappy, but the time ranges are variable by the CVT pots/CV inputs unlike the A140. This means not only you can fine tune your time range, but control it by CV.

Although it's more accurate to say that it's not really changing time range, but the curve of the envelope, which gives the same effect (along with making it snappier).
cg_funk
Have to say I have really been enjoying the A-142-2. The simplicity of having a couple envelopes pre-patched to VCAs is really nice. There are really a lot of pin-options on the back, and I haven't explored that yet.

I am however already seriously considering making a breakout plate with a couple jacks for envelope-outputs. I feel I'd rather have envelope out than ducking-in, personally.
boxxgrooved
cg_funk wrote:
Have to say I have really been enjoying the A-142-2. The simplicity of having a couple envelopes pre-patched to VCAs is really nice. There are really a lot of pin-options on the back, and I haven't explored that yet.

I am however already seriously considering making a breakout plate with a couple jacks for envelope-outputs. I feel I'd rather have envelope out than ducking-in, personally.

I have been enjoying the ease of patching with the A-142-2 also and agree that envelope out jacks would be more useful. Although I use the A-142-2 a lot I still keep a regular A-140 around for the extremely snappy envelope in the low range setting. I have not been able to achieve such a response from the A-142-2.

I have used the ducking input combined with an A-119 as a useful limiter/compressor on patches that get a bit out of control. Useful on feedback patches that could otherwise slam your recording inputs.
Steve Richards
Shledge wrote:
I noticed the A140-2 won't trigger properly with my nerdseq. It seems it's really picky about finding an "edge" in order to trigger rather than just a voltage level. Checked on the oscilloscope and found that the nerdseq's trigger outs have a very slight soft edge to them

Hi Folks,

Has anyone tried an A140-2 with a Mother 32? Does it trigger OK from the M32?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
ckwjr
I just got the 105-4 to go with my 141-4. It's a great combo, but I'm thinking of switching out the 141-4 for the Noise Engineering quad envelope. I've also used the Qu-bit Contour, which has a lot of great features. Something like the Pons Asinorum seems a bit more flexible than both those others, but for now the 141-4 is great to have.
Yodhan
I got a A-142-2 about a week ago. Haven’t had a whole lot of time with it because I am building a new case and using the rails from my HEK for it, so the rig has been down. That being said, it is a great utility and space saver. I got it because I frequently have a voice that is a pretty basic oscillator to filter to envelope to vca for bass notes and this did the double duty of combing the last two parts, plus giving me two of them. Really couldn’t argue.
lionelfischer
What do u guys think of the comparison between NE since iter and the doeofer 142-2

Not sure what to get
lionelfischer
Yodhan wrote:
I got a A-142-2 about a week ago. Haven’t had a whole lot of time with it because I am building a new case and using the rails from my HEK for it, so the rig has been down. That being said, it is a great utility and space saver. I got it because I frequently have a voice that is a pretty basic oscillator to filter to envelope to vca for bass notes and this did the double duty of combing the last two parts, plus giving me two of them. Really couldn’t argue.

does it add any gain
cg_funk
lionelfischer wrote:

does it add any gain

No, not that I can tell. It has an attenuator to lower the audio-in signal, but that's all. Actually this module really likes a really hot audio-in, and with snappy envelopes you may need to boost the output a bit.

It has a ton of pin switches on the back, so there are a number of different ways to configure the A-142-2.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3