MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Buchla as the ultimate techno instrument
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author The Buchla as the ultimate techno instrument
emp
Techno is not the only thing i use my Buchla for, but when i do i think it’s quite good for that too. cool This is a lost and found session recorded in one take some years ago with my duo RTTRSPRT. Me on a Skylab system and Marcus on an Octatrack for drums. Basically i use the 261e for ”pads”/long notes, played on the 223e controller. The arpeggiator controls one half of a 258v and a 250e controls the other half. CV1 on the 250e goes to the pitch input, obviously, the other CV controls the velocity on the 292e channel in question. This allows for an intuitive way of varying sequencer patterns on the fly. I also use a 259e for more effect like sounds and noises. Other than that i have a Kaoss Pad 3 and a Space for reverb.
Enjoy if you can, otherwise ignore it. Guinness ftw! [/s]

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rttrsprt/secret-session-140416[/s]
Kent
Ya, brother! This is great. Enjoying it much and only 11 mins in. Guinness ftw!
Michael Tiemann
Great stuff! I love how well you coax so much expression from so few modules.
Ozz
Awesome. DX200 on steroids!!
emp
Kent wrote:
Ya, brother! This is great. Enjoying it much and only 11 mins in. Guinness ftw!

Thanks! I hope the rest didn’t dissapoint you then smile
emp
Michael Tiemann wrote:
Great stuff! I love how well you coax so much expression from so few modules.

Thank you! My initial plan was to use presets to be able to vary things even more and make faster changes, but since preset changes mess up the midi clock that’s not possible.
emp
Ozz wrote:
Awesome. DX200 on steroids!!

Haha! Thanks!
analoglsd
Fun track. Wish I had been there when it was performed live.
Precarious
Good stuff!

I've been messing with a hybrid Buchla/Euro system and finding myself veering into techno and deep house quite a bit. Don't understand why I don't see more Buchla use in these genres.

Just got the 252e and this was my first experiment. The ability to skew the placement of sub-divided pulses on the fly really lends itself to groovy swing!
(Patch info in the video description.)

lumin
Precarious wrote:
Good stuff!

I've been messing with a hybrid Buchla/Euro system and finding myself veering into techno and deep house quite a bit. Don't understand why I don't see more Buchla use in these genres.

Just got the 252e and this was my first experiment. The ability to skew the placement of sub-divided pulses on the fly really lends itself to groovy swing!
(Patch info in the video description.)

diggin this, man. you are using it exactly like i would.
if you like deep type of tunes, check out david morley's music. one of my favorites of his is called buchla baby (pretty sure by the title it was done all on a buchla system). the whole stardancer ep is real cool. 90's shit.
socaldreamer
Sounds amazing! I have an Octatrack and Make Noise 0-coast that I use for drums and techno and while no Buchla is my poor man version since I don't have 20k for a Buchla Skylab or 7k for a Buchla Easel right now.
Precarious
lumin wrote:

diggin this, man. you are using it exactly like i would.
if you like deep type of tunes, check out david morley's music. one of my favorites of his is called buchla baby (pretty sure by the title it was done all on a buchla system). the whole stardancer ep is real cool. 90's shit.

Thanks! I'm all about sloppy swing and 252e encourages just that. And thanks for the tip on Morley. He left this comment under the video of Buchla Baby:
"RIP Donald Buchla. I used my 200 system for the percussion, beat and some atmospherics on this song and the whole EP I remember people wondering why I liked these old machines whilst they bought the latest digital stuff. Of course I was lucky that they were affordable when I got them (1990 or so). Prices now are a bit crazy, but he built inspirational music boxes rather than technical devices. I still consider his early 200 systems to be the best "synths" built."

socaldreamer wrote:
Sounds amazing! I have an Octatrack and Make Noise 0-coast that I use for drums and techno and while no Buchla is my poor man version since I don't have 20k for a Buchla Skylab or 7k for a Buchla Easel right now.

Just so you know, you can start out very small and work your way up with Buchla. I was in the same boat. I started with a used LEM Snoopy I got for $2,300. That's a full Buchla voice, or eve two voices, with MIDI and voltage conversions for eurorack (2x osc, 2x lpg, 2x function generator, plus utilities). The Buchla modules are so feature packed you can have fun exploring for a long time. Some experiments using only 2U linked below my post.
lumin
Precarious wrote:
Thanks! I'm all about sloppy swing and 252e encourages just that. And thanks for the tip on Morley. He left this comment under the video of Buchla Baby:
"RIP Donald Buchla. I used my 200 system for the percussion, beat and some atmospherics on this song and the whole EP I remember people wondering why I liked these old machines whilst they bought the latest digital stuff. Of course I was lucky that they were affordable when I got them (1990 or so). Prices now are a bit crazy, but he built inspirational music boxes rather than technical devices. I still consider his early 200 systems to be the best "synths" built."

Word. thanks for that tidbit. His music definitely had a different sound due to his creativity and what he was using. Keep doing your thing. interested to hear more.
emp
socaldreamer wrote:

Thanks! Yeah, the Buchla pricing can seem overwhelming. But as previously mentioned you can start small. It took me several years to fill my Skylab cabinet. Bought some used modules and also on the BEMI sale some years ago. I think the cabinet actually is the only thing i paid the regular price for. And an OT and an 0-coast is a pretty powerful combo as well! wink
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1