MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Stuck on drum modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Stuck on drum modules
nklif
need one more (making mostly techno type stuff) and stuck between Manis Iteritas, SSF Entity, Audio Damage Neuron, and the Taiko of Dinky. Ah, so many great options. All of their range is ridiculous. Share whatever experience you have, many of you have amazing insights.



MindMachine
So which drum modules do you already have? These are all good choices, but it's hard to make a suggestion without knowing what else is in the mix.

Do you want more cv control or are you good with less and a sound that is ?????
electricanada
Why is the basimilus iteritas alter not on your list? I don't own any drum modules, but that one would be at the top of my list. I just like the way it sounds.
nklif
@MindMachine
I have a original basimilus, peaks, and pico drums. I'm trying to throw more diversity in the mix and i'm prob more on the CV control side. For example, the Pico drums sound ok and can be changed (using those tiny knobs) but there's no comparison to basimilus that you can tweak like crazy and get lots of sounds out of. That's where my list came from, full package type of modules that aren't monstrous.

@electricanada
Yeah it should be up there too. Seems better than the original and two of them wouldn't be bad at all.


Thanks for the replies smile
MindMachine
Then I would say the SSF sounds the most different than what you have. They all seem fun.
electricanada
What are you going to sequence them with?
Zymos
Unless you really like how Neuron sounds, I'd give it a pass. Even with all the CV, it mostly does one thing.
retoid
I have a hard time recommending anything Audio Damage these days since they've dropped out of the modular scene.

I am a big fan of NE modules, the Manis offers a lot of control over itself and sounds really dirty and industrial. It's great if you're looking for those sounds.
Otherwise I would suggest the Basimilus.
I've also heard a lot of good things about SSF Entity.

Another neat drum module that is on my list is the Transient+, although not as popular most likely due to the menu diving and lack of CV.
Countcowden
Plonk can give you some different sonic territory from what’s been mentioned.
mdoudoroff
Don’t overlook the WMD Fracture and WMD Chimera. They sport the wild flexibility of the Basimilus Iteritas, but from a completely different direction.
ipnoteca
also check the future retro transiet, incredibly underrated module
gentle_attack
electricanada wrote:
What are you going to sequence them with?


I'm assuming the OP is going for "jamming" and one take recording because he is naming all these standalone modules, but you can design sounds to sample with damn near any modular, and frankly unless you have the funds for a wall of Euro you're going to dump tons of money into a setup that can make ~6 sounds, that would be IMO would be much better executed with a sampler that you load up with sounds you've designed on the modular, or of course loading your designed sounds on into a DAW and arranging from there.

Or something like the RYTM or Machinedrum which have fairly sophisticated synthesis as well as sequencing a song building capabilities. I've been liking what I've been hearing out of the DFAM lately, I thought it was a very strange design when they released it, but people are making it sound
savethisrocketship
I have had BI mk1, Dinky's, and Pico Drums. Currently I have Plonk & have found that it integrates nicely with my setup and workflow but accept that it might not be everyone's flavor. The pico drums are reliable, the included sounds are of good quality but are of a kind of 'classic drum hits' variety which is kind of how I felt about Dinky's... not a dig, just if you're using stock sounds on the pico drums (and yr happy about it), Dinky's might be a nice fit. I didn't like the BI for drums, personally, but it's a killer bass module & a lot of the NE stuff seems to really compliment each other though that's based off other people's vids not hands-on-experience.

If you have more fun with BI maybe consider more NE stuff, if you like Pico Drums/more 'classic synth drums' but wish you had more CV and knobs go w/Dinky's. Or check out the SSF stuff, have no experience with Entity but they generally do not disappoint. Good luck w00t
BaloErets
ipnoteca wrote:
also check the future retro transient, incredibly underrated module


+1 on that. Never understood why it didn't get the attention it deserves. Incredible sound quality and so configurable. Really worth checking out SlayerBadger!
nklif
electricanada wrote:
What are you going to sequence them with?

Right now Malekko Varigate 4, but my goal is to have a beatstep pro.

retoid wrote:
I have a hard time recommending anything Audio Damage these days since they've dropped out of the modular scene.

I am a big fan of NE modules, the Manis offers a lot of control over itself and sounds really dirty and industrial. It's great if you're looking for those sounds.
Otherwise I would suggest the Basimilus.
I've also heard a lot of good things about SSF Entity.

Another neat drum module that is on my list is the Transient+, although not as popular most likely due to the menu diving and lack of CV.

Yeah, everything I've seen about Manis Iteritas sounds great. Looking into Transient now. Research time!

Countcowden wrote:
Plonk can give you some different sonic territory from what’s been mentioned.

plonk I've only heard a little but I'll check it out some more

mdoudoroff wrote:
Don’t overlook the WMD Fracture and WMD Chimera. They sport the wild flexibility of the Basimilus Iteritas, but from a completely different direction.

Chimera always sound really bit-shifty to me. The fracture is similar but the more I'm looking into it, it sounds really unique and has some great features. Yeah, this might be a game changer.

ipnoteca wrote:
also check the future retro transiet, incredibly underrated module

Going in right now, more more research woohoo

gentle_attack wrote:
electricanada wrote:
What are you going to sequence them with?


I'm assuming the OP is going for "jamming" and one take recording because he is naming all these standalone modules, but you can design sounds to sample with damn near any modular, and frankly unless you have the funds for a wall of Euro you're going to dump tons of money into a setup that can make ~6 sounds, that would be IMO would be much better executed with a sampler that you load up with sounds you've designed on the modular, or of course loading your designed sounds on into a DAW and arranging from there.

Or something like the RYTM or Machinedrum which have fairly sophisticated synthesis as well as sequencing a song building capabilities. I've been liking what I've been hearing out of the DFAM lately, I thought it was a very strange design when they released it, but people are making it sound

Yeah RTYM, heard so many good things. You make a good point. So, DAW and really reconsidering a lot of my setup... achieving a lot with modular is what keeps this business alive, haha. (I'm definitely low on cash these days, dangit... maybe I should abandon getting more modules and shoot for a good drum machine on computer or DAW...)

You guys are great for the help.

The sound I'm going for: Here I use a DFAM but not mine
[s]http://soundcloud.com/user-515951717-155541640/new-song-07-2018[/s]
electricanada
If you're short on cash, the Drambo modular percussion app for ipad is coming soon, and should be amazing.
wavedepletion
I have a Neuron but I basically only use it for either a specific type of kick or a high-hat or rimshot type sound, and that's it. It's kinda hard to dial in something that is actually usable. As other have mentioned I probably wouldn't recommended it.

I also have a BIA and it's obviously great of course.

Other than that, I just make my own drum sounds with some noise, DPO, or Cursus Iteritas, and some envelopes. Sometimes sampling them into a DAW or the Octatrack, freeing up those modules for other duties. I have a hard time justifying dedicated drum modules when you can whip something up, modular-style.

Plonk, Transient and SSF Entity look interesting. I may have to look into replacing the Neuron at some point.
strangegravity
Check out the Pittsburgh Percussion Sequencer, turn any sound source in to percussion. Also two of favorite percussion sound sources is the Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery and the PGH DNA.
Sinamsis
I'm with gentle_attack. I have owned many drum modules, most recently I was using a BIA and an LI with an Optomix for a lot of my percussive needs. But then I got in Assimil8or. It's fantastic. Not for those short on cash I guess, but it could replace several modules, and can sample CV as well. Aside from playing back my already large sample library, it's pretty easy to sample synthesized sounds from the modular and still have some CV control over them, while freeing up those sound sources for other duties.
kay_k
I've the Akemies Taiko which is hands down my fav module. I also have a Neuron which I totally like but I'd argue you'd need an additional envelope module for it to make it really work (Env-->Fm or Env-->Noise) and it also costs more than the ALM FM voice.
Niamac
Wmd chimera sounds fabulous. Its limited to metal percussion but it does it ever so well. It has its own thread here and people seem to say only good things about it.
Foghorn
Tiptop ONE
But with ONE it is better if you have TWO.

I have to agree with the idea that with a comprehensive drum setep, Eurorack drums are way expensive compared to any drum machine.

I built this ...EP-360 Drum rack

It was way expensive and is not all that powerful compared to even a simple drum machine.



Foghorn
kay_k
I am actually quite taken by drum synths in the moment. BIA, Plonk and Fracture are definitely on my list when I upgraded my drum rack (not necessarily in that order)
Shledge
What modules do you have already? You could look into patching your own drum sounds - most of it is pretty simple to do with noise sources, VCOs, ADSRs etc.
cptnal
No one posted the Tobi Neumann kick vid yet? OK, allow me...



That about wraps it up for kicks. For anything else I'd just stick any old sound through a LPG. It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group