MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

MFOS Euro VCO vs Bubblesound VCOb or…?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author MFOS Euro VCO vs Bubblesound VCOb or…?
novim
I’m interested in a A-110/Dixie-like utility VCO that I can build myself (which, for me, means no SMT). Sines, squares, pointy, FM, PWM... LFO ability is nice but not crucial.

The Bubblesound VCOb has been around for a long time, and seems well-regarded. Synthcube have recently started releasing Music From Outer Space modules in Euro format and I’ve always been fond of Ray’s work. I haven’t yet seen much discussion of this new line on here, though.

I’m interested in impressions of either or comparisons of both, from the perspectives of sound, functionality and usage (which is why I’ve posted here and not in the Music Tech DIY section). Also interested in suggestions for other similar options to consider. Have looked at the Zlob Dual VCO. The R*S Serge NTO would be lovely but it’s very pricey for something that won’t be a centrepiece sound source in my system.

Thanks.
scuto
I have just the VCOb, and I'm a big fan of its sound. It's an early through-hole, and takes the longest to warm up and stabilize of all my oscs, but this doesn't bother me. It has a warm and fuzzy sound to its FM, and I personally like how subtle its linear FM sounds, though some prefer a stronger sound. It's staying.

I've seen the VCOb recently made available as a DIY kit, and it appears to be all through-hole, but take that with a grain of salt due to my very limited DIY experience.
novim
Thanks for the description. The FM sounds appealing. Instability during a slower warm up would be an asset for what I'm doing.
scuto
novim wrote:
Instability during a slower warm up would be an asset for what I'm doing.

In my particular VCOb it would drift sharp until warmed up. I find certain kinds of instability useful, myself, but not that early sharp drift. The "imperfection" of the VCOb once warmed up layered with the AJH VCO's own personality makes me very, very happy!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1