MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge PS2a calibration?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge PS2a calibration?
Mood Organ
I recently noticed that two of my PS2a are way off... much closer to +/-10V instead of +/-12V. Of course, they're sealed shut. How does one go about calibrating a PS2a? How important is it?

I emailed this question to Rex and he wrote back that "The [PS2A] supplies are sealed at the factory with the outputs preset. The voltage outputs are non-adjustable."

I'm a bit puzzled by this. STS seems to make much of their calibration procedure, which is even done to match the specific power supply used.
cebec
I measured mine, purchase secondhand, and it's +12.01/-11.98
the bad producer
Have you measured it connected to panel and not connected? I wonder if it needs a load (I know nothing in particular about the PS2A BTW!)
cebec
Mine was not connected to a panel but I have measured PS4s connected and unconnected and there's little to no variance between the two.
the bad producer
I think the PS4 is a linear supply and the PS2A is a switching supply, some switching supplies need a load to operate correctly AFAIK
cebec
Ah, I didn't know that. I think the PS2a is a linear supply, though. It looks like a large switching type but I believe one of it's selling points was the fact that it's linear.

I found this on carbon111's Serge pages:

Along with the new format comes a new power supply, the PS2a. Here's the rundown of its features:

Custom made in USA for STS (not a generic Chinese "wall wart")
Precision dual regulated linear w/ low-noise audio specs (individually serialized & tested)
Heavy-duty 4-wire cable 6' interconnect cable (dual ground - instrumentation grade)
Heavy-duty 6' long detachable AC shielded line cord (w/all world line plug types available from stock)
Externally recessed 110-120/220-240 Vac / 50-60 Hz line selector slide switch
Externally recessed 5 x 20 mm fuse drawer
System "common" black banana jack (for easy interface with external equipment)
Directly mates to "M-boat with one connector (no external distribution necessary!)
Effortlessly powers up to 2 "M-boats (4 "M-class modules)
the bad producer
Oh, that is interesting, I've only seen one briefly and didn't really look at it, given it was attached to a Serge panel hihi
Mood Organ
OK, embarrassing realization:

I forgot to switch from 230V back to 110V before making the measurements. They're now reading close to expected values.

I guess the fact that they're non-adjustable explains why STS wants you to send in the power supply along with the panel for repairs and tuning.
cebec
Glad to hear that was the issue!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1