MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Converting Make Noise 7U Steel Case to M3 Rails
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Converting Make Noise 7U Steel Case to M3 Rails
modbear
I have a Make Noise 7U Steel CV Bus Case. I like the case overall, but the M2.5 nuts make it a pain to swap modules in and out. What is the simplest way to converting it to have rails with M3 tapped holes? Does someone sell replacement rails that would fit?

I tried Tip Top Z-Rails. Almost works, but they do not quite fit.

Thanks
tnktni
Would these NoNuts from Erthenvar work? Though these are M2.5 (but tapped strips)
https://erthenvar.myshopify.com/collections/case-hardware/products/non uts-cut-to-length
jfb
I don't have the steel case, I have the Elite Modular case that came with my B&G SS. I've thought about switching out the rails as well. I just looked at my measurements from when I was about to buy Z-Rails for it and have 20.75 inches (527.05 mm) for the length of the rails in the case. The TipTop Audio site shows the 104 hp Z-Rails at a length of 20.79 inches (528.3 mm). I figured the difference in measurement was probably no big deal or just me being off since I used a tape measure.

Can you say more about the Z-Rails not fitting? Is it a length issue or something else?
modbear
jfb, the Z-Rails are both shorter and wider than the Make Noise ones preventing them from mounting in the case. The Make Noise rails are 545mm long and 7mm wide vs. Z-rails which are 527mm long and 10mm wide.

tnktni, thanks for the suggestion. NoNuts look like a good backup option if I can't find an M3 solution.
tnktni
Hope it works out! I was planning on fitting them into my Pittsburgh Modular Cell 90 case as well. Someone on the Buy/Sell forum was selling a Cell 90 converted with tapped rails, and they told me it was fitted with the NoNuts.
donpachi
If the No Nuts were available in M3 I would buy plenty!

Probably one could convert M2.5 strips to M3 with a bench mill and a lot of patience.
jfb
modbear wrote:
jfb, the Z-Rails are both shorter and wider than the Make Noise ones preventing them from mounting in the case. The Make Noise rails are 545mm long and 7mm wide vs. Z-rails which are 527mm long and 10mm wide.

tnktni, thanks for the suggestion. NoNuts look like a good backup option if I can't find an M3 solution.

Got it. Thanks.
Glitzerstrahl
jfb wrote:
I don't have the steel case, I have the Elite Modular case that came with my B&G SS. I've thought about switching out the rails as well. I just looked at my measurements from when I was about to buy Z-Rails for it and have 20.75 inches (527.05 mm) for the length of the rails in the case. The TipTop Audio site shows the 104 hp Z-Rails at a length of 20.79 inches (528.3 mm). I figured the difference in measurement was probably no big deal or just me being off since I used a tape measure.

Can you say more about the Z-Rails not fitting? Is it a length issue or something else?

Also chiming in, I tried to fit the Z rails into my Elite 12U case, and lengthwise they fit perfectly. However, due to the difference in width, you cannot fit a modules hight in between the 'lips' of the Z rails.

So, no cake....
jfb
Glitzerstrahl wrote:
jfb wrote:

Also chiming in, I tried to fit the Z rails into my Elite 12U case, and lengthwise they fit perfectly. However, due to the difference in width, you cannot fit a modules hight in between the 'lips' of the Z rails.

So, no cake....

Thanks for sharing. Did you end up doing something different or just deal?
danishchairs
modbear wrote:
I have a Make Noise 7U Steel CV Bus Case. I like the case overall, but the M2.5 nuts make it a pain to swap modules in and out. What is the simplest way to converting it to have rails with M3 tapped holes? Does someone sell replacement rails that would fit?

Can you keep the rails and just replace the nuts with threaded strips?

I don’t know which brand of rails are used in the Make Noise case, but I recently replaced the sliding nuts in a Pittsburgh EP-420 case that uses Vector rails. I got M3 threaded strips from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalog Id=10001&langId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=64T9880&storeId=1019 4

Again, these are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts.

I could find the M3 threaded strips only in 84 HP length. Depending on the length of your rails, you may need to use more than one strip per rail.

Here’s the technical data sheet for this threaded strip:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1812087.pdf
amop
I tried replacing the strips with m3 and no go...they wouldn’t fit. I then got m2.5 strips that did fit in the MN Skiff, but not the case unless I do a little filing down (currently lack the tools).

A real PITA going through this, but even worse using the sliding nuts.

MN is one of those very original companies (Harvestman too) that kinda seems to include a little “fuck you” to their customers in their products. I can’t understand any other reason for the sliding nuts. Otherwise love their stuff.
Glitzerstrahl
jfb wrote:
Glitzerstrahl wrote:
jfb wrote:

So, no cake....

Thanks for sharing. Did you end up doing something different or just deal?

Nope, just dealing with it smile
Glitzerstrahl
amop wrote:
MN is one of those very original companies (Harvestman too) that kinda seems to include a little “fuck you” to their customers in their products. I can’t understand any other reason for the sliding nuts. Otherwise love their stuff.

This! LOL! But I can’t help but loving their stuff as well!!
exportexport
danishchairs wrote:
modbear wrote:

Can you keep the rails and just replace the nuts with threaded strips?

I don’t know which brand of rails are used in the Make Noise case, but I recently replaced the sliding nuts in a Pittsburgh EP-420 case that uses Vector rails. I got M3 threaded strips from Newark:
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalog Id=10001&langId=-1&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=64T9880&storeId=1019 4

Again, these are not rails, but rather threaded strips that go into the rails, replacing the sliding nuts.
[/url]

So that worked? Using M2.5 threaded strips one piece per rail + filing down a little? Want to do the same and replace the sliding nuts with threaded strips. This sounds like the solution if M3 strips don’t work.
Foghorn
Both Newark and Mouser sell M-3 threaded strips that fit Vector rails.
They are only available in 84hp lengths.
I would rather use M-2.5 threaded strips.
The holes in a lot of modules are only 3.2 or 3.3 mm and if there is something off just a little bit, 3mm screws will bind.
Sliding nuts are not so bad. I have found that if I take some long screws and cut off their heads, I can put these into the nuts and slide them to about the right spacing.
Then I slide the module down on the cut off screws and remove them one at a time to replace them with the real screws.
I always buy socket head cap screws (allen key drive) from Mcmaster Carr.
It is only $5.00 per hundred (M2.5 X 8 or M3 X 8) and I also buy some thick plastic washers P/N 90295A330 for M2.5 or Pittsburghs 4-40 screws and P/N 90295A359 for M3.
The cap screws are way easier to install if you use long drivers as they hold onto and guide the screws very well.
Steel cap screws are also magnetic which makes it easier, unfortunately I prefer stainless steel screws.
Stainless M3 X 8mm screws are P/N 91292A112 and cost $4.12/100.
M2.5 X 8mm screws are P/N 91292A012 and cost $4.94/100.
Well, I just bought one hundred Knurlies so I guess I will see how they work.

Foghorn

I just bought a MN CV buss steel case and I have re-racked it 6 or 7 times in the last 4 weeks.

I am starting to not like the sliding nuts all that much.

I finally have ended up with this case
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1