Percussa SSP: wavetable, granular, sampling, fx processor...

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Percussa SSP: wavetable, granular, sampling, fx processor...

Post by bschiett » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:14 am

this is a continuation of this thread -

viewtopic.php?t=193750

latest news here -



The SSP units have shipped now and have arrived with backers, and the forum has become very active the past week! We also posted the first software update. Check it out here -

http://forum.percussa.com/

The SSP offers sampling up to 192khz/32bit, wavetable synthesis, granular processing, multichannel recording, ... it's a modular synthesis system in a module!

*** If you want to buy an SSP head over to http://www.percussa.com/ to place a pre-order and join the next shipment. ***

Image
Last edited by bschiett on Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am

Image

Thanks for the hard work Bert and Celine!

2d

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 am

Image

Moved into the new place and all setup. Please ignore the cruddy computer speaker. It is part of the workstation behind this. Kids sleep right next door, so I'm always using headphones. :tu:

I'm just continually impressed with how complete the module is and how it keeps getting better. I'm truly excited for the SDK to be completed!!

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:43 pm

@percussa #ssp update - Microtonal Quantizer w/ SCALA support - Stretch Goal Module Delivered + 4 more software updates! - read more at

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
J_Behan
Common Wiggler
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:57 am
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Post by J_Behan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:18 am

I've just been catching up on this beast today. Very impressive indeed, congrats!

I'm very interested to say the least. I've been considering various sampling, DSP fx and multitrack recording options, and I feel this thing could kill about 10 birds with one stone, potentially saving me money and rack space down the road.
I'm particularly looking forward to seeing how people integrate it into the modular ecosystem and workflow. It's got me pondering all kind of questions like hardware vs software, DSP power vs ingenuity etc. What appeals to me about modular is the ingenuity required to make interesting patches. Trying to balance that philosophy with raw DSP power which can handle things like sampling, multitracking, granular, DSP fx etc. is what interests me most.

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:07 am

J_Behan wrote:I've just been catching up on this beast today. Very impressive indeed, congrats!
thanks!
J_Behan wrote: I'm very interested to say the least. I've been considering various sampling, DSP fx and multitrack recording options, and I feel this thing could kill about 10 birds with one stone, potentially saving me money and rack space down the road.
yes, that is correct. The SSP can do a variety of synthesis, I/O and processing related tasks:

- wavetable synthesis
- granular synthesis
- multichannel sample playback and layering, looping etc.
- multichannel recording (up to 16 ins and 8 outs direct to disk at 192khz/32bit)
- step sequencing
- filtering (svf, comb etc)
- LFOs
- amplitude modulation
- reverb and delay fx processing
- microtonal quantisation
- usb MIDI > CV (including MPE and polyphonic voice building features)
- multichannel USB audio
...

the above list grows as we work on additional modules. We have an active forum at http://forum.percussa.com/

The SSP is really a modular system in a module. You can insert modules in a grid inside the software and patch them together. These patches can then be saved as presets and shared with other people easily. The patching grid lets you easily build multiple voices as well, so if you want to build polyphonic synthesis patches that is also possible. We are working on an SDK which will allow you to develop your own modules.

The I/O is all DC coupled, -5V..+5V, and supports 48khz, 96khz and 192khz sample rates. All at 32 bit resolution. All the I/O is the same, there is no difference between the jacks. They can all deal with audio, CVs, triggers etc. The SSP comes with a high speed (sandisk extreme) 32 GB SD card which you can use to record onto, put samples on, etc.

So it is true that the SSP can replace other digital modules in your rack and save you money :-)
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:18 pm

Percussa Electronic Musical Instruments #ssp #eurorack update - #vst support, quad VCA, BitCrusher, Module picker and more!

Image

Image
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:31 am

This is huge! :sb: Existing VST2 and 3 plug-ins can be ported to now run on the SSP in tandem with other modules in the network grid.

What this means for developers is they'll need to rework their GUI and control schemes. The SSP passes all encoders and key press data to the plug-in instance. You are free to use the display as you wish. Lots of possibilities there.

This update comes with a small VCA VST plug-in example.

I hope to get a VST out there soon, and I can't wait to see how it all works.

User avatar
SunSpots
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2583
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:04 pm
Location: Northern California

Post by SunSpots » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:02 pm

This update was really cool. I'm looking forward for new modules. So,many ways to use the quad vca
SunSpots

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:02 pm

SunSpots wrote:This update was really cool. I'm looking forward for new modules. So,many ways to use the quad vca
thanks! working on the next one already :-)
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2886
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:17 am
Location: Milwaukee WI

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:32 pm

I'd love to see some decent video demos. I feel its pretty essential for a module like this.
I've seen most of what's out there so far, but they are all very short and only look at a narrow or specific features, and not much explanation, so it's hard to get an overall idea about what this thing is all about and capable of.

would be nice to see some for fully featured demos and put in to some musical contexts, and some demos that really take full advantage of the processing power to see what this things potential is. so far nothing i've seen comes close to demonstrating this.

I'm less interested about seeing more examples of wavetables and oscillator features, but more interested in seeing more granular and realtime effects processing capabilities, stuff that it can do that no other modules can do or sound like yet. Thats far more interesting than the oscillator stuff to me and probably to a lot of other people too.

just a friendly suggestion.

User avatar
nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2691
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Post by nectarios » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:51 pm

brandonlogic wrote:I'd love to see some decent video demos. I feel its pretty essential for a module like this.
I've seen most of what's out there so far, but they are all very short and only look at a narrow or specific features, and not much explanation, so it's hard to get an overall idea about what this thing is all about and capable of.

would be nice to see some for fully featured demos and put in to some musical contexts, and some demos that really take full advantage of the processing power to see what this things potential is. so far nothing i've seen comes close to demonstrating this.

I'm less interested about seeing more examples of wavetables and oscillator features, but more interested in seeing more granular and realtime effects processing capabilities, stuff that it can do that no other modules can do or sound like yet. Thats far more interesting than the oscillator stuff to me and probably to a lot of other people too.

just a friendly suggestion.
This ^^^

So far its pretty much just spec talking and how this is much better than a ER-301 for example but there is nothing show casing the thing.

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4142
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 pm

Post by Dogma » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:30 pm

nectarios wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:I'd love to see some decent video demos. I feel its pretty essential for a module like this.
I've seen most of what's out there so far, but they are all very short and only look at a narrow or specific features, and not much explanation, so it's hard to get an overall idea about what this thing is all about and capable of.

would be nice to see some for fully featured demos and put in to some musical contexts, and some demos that really take full advantage of the processing power to see what this things potential is. so far nothing i've seen comes close to demonstrating this.

I'm less interested about seeing more examples of wavetables and oscillator features, but more interested in seeing more granular and realtime effects processing capabilities, stuff that it can do that no other modules can do or sound like yet. Thats far more interesting than the oscillator stuff to me and probably to a lot of other people too.

just a friendly suggestion.
This ^^^

So far its pretty much just spec talking and how this is much better than a ER-301 for example but there is nothing show casing the thing.
I said this ages ago too - im sure it can do amazing things - so show me....
I dont wanna read specs....for a module of such spend to have very little video on the actual module itself striding out in all its glory, is a little strange i find
look up!

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:37 pm

brandonlogic wrote:I'd love to see some decent video demos. I feel its pretty essential for a module like this.
I've seen most of what's out there so far, but they are all very short and only look at a narrow or specific features, and not much explanation, so it's hard to get an overall idea about what this thing is all about and capable of.

would be nice to see some for fully featured demos and put in to some musical contexts, and some demos that really take full advantage of the processing power to see what this things potential is. so far nothing i've seen comes close to demonstrating this.

I'm less interested about seeing more examples of wavetables and oscillator features, but more interested in seeing more granular and realtime effects processing capabilities, stuff that it can do that no other modules can do or sound like yet. Thats far more interesting than the oscillator stuff to me and probably to a lot of other people too.
did you see the granular demos on the kickstarter page/updates section? there are multiple videos spread across the kickstarter updates.






I don't know what you mean with not much explanation, do you mean you want to see videos where I explain how the SSP works? there is already a ton of info on the our website, kickstarter page, forum and so on, but I don't know if you've found / read it. Here is me talking about the SSP:

[video][/video]
Last edited by bschiett on Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:39 pm

nectarios wrote: So far its pretty much just spec talking and how this is much better than a ER-301 for example but there is nothing show casing the thing.
see my reply to brandonlogic :-) I don't know if you've actually found the demos and videos that are out there, so if you don't, then we should do something about that.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:48 pm

Dogma wrote:for a module of such spend to have very little video on the actual module itself striding out in all its glory, is a little strange i find
We shipped about 50 SSPs to people about a month ago and since then we've posted 6 software updates with new features and modules, and we're pretty busy with our users.

We just don't have time right now to do a lot of video. There is a ton of information out there, we've posted over 45 updates on the kickstarter page, there is an active forum at http://forum.percussa.com/ and there are video and audio demos out there.

Some users have started posting videos, I'm sure there will be more as we move forward.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
2disbetter
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:40 pm
Location: Germany

Post by 2disbetter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:57 pm

Folks, I think wanting to see videos and such is completely normal. As someone who has been testing and helping out with the SSP I have a very biased opinion. I know it's awesome already.

However, please understand this is a small 2 person company who JUST finished shipping the modules, has already given us a bunch of software updates and continues to introduce new features.

People are just starting to receive them. Let's just be patience. Videos will come.

User avatar
nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2691
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Post by nectarios » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:50 pm

bschiett wrote:
nectarios wrote: So far its pretty much just spec talking and how this is much better than a ER-301 for example but there is nothing show casing the thing.
see my reply to brandonlogic :-) I don't know if you've actually found the demos and videos that are out there, so if you don't, then we should do something about that.
I found two demos on the site. Waiting for more I guess as I am sure this can do much more "wow" type things. I understand its early days still.

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:06 am

nectarios wrote:
bschiett wrote:
nectarios wrote: So far its pretty much just spec talking and how this is much better than a ER-301 for example but there is nothing show casing the thing.
see my reply to brandonlogic :-) I don't know if you've actually found the demos and videos that are out there, so if you don't, then we should do something about that.
I found two demos on the site. Waiting for more I guess as I am sure this can do much more "wow" type things. I understand its early days still.




on these two pages you can find a lot more demos, both audio and video, than just two.

Keep an eye on the KS updates and if you haven't already join us on facebook as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/percussa/

youtube channel where you can find some videos as well -
https://www.youtube.com/user/percussa

I also post on instagram -
https://www.instagram.com/percussacom/
Last edited by bschiett on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2691
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:44 am

Post by nectarios » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:50 am

bschiett wrote:
nectarios wrote:
bschiett wrote:
nectarios wrote: So far its pretty much just spec talking and how this is much better than a ER-301 for example but there is nothing show casing the thing.
see my reply to brandonlogic :-) I don't know if you've actually found the demos and videos that are out there, so if you don't, then we should do something about that.
I found two demos on the site. Waiting for more I guess as I am sure this can do much more "wow" type things. I understand its early days still.




on these two pages you can find a lot more demos, both audio and video, than just two.

Keep an eye on the KS updates and if you haven't already join us on facebook as well.
In the granular video that actually generates grains, Xenakis style granular and sounds like Clouds (with a lot more grains), is there also a Curtis micro sound implementation that sounds like the Morphagene/ER-301?

User avatar
DruidTek
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am
Contact:

Post by DruidTek » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:57 am

I've been following this from day one, and while I think it's a very interesting concept, I do have to say that all of the videos I've seen so far are very underwhelming.

I'd really love to see someone creating an actual piece of music on one of these, with drums, bass and melodies, etc. That would go a long way towards proving its worth, imo.

I know its early days, but at the moment it seems to be much more of a developer platform than a musical instrument.

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:27 am

DruidTek wrote:I've been following this from day one, and while I think it's a very interesting concept, I do have to say that all of the videos I've seen so far are very underwhelming.
I know its early days, but at the moment it seems to be much more of a developer platform than a musical instrument.
It's not a concept, it's out there and it is real and in people's racks, being used 8-)

It sounds to me that you didn't watch any of the videos or listened to any of the demos, and perhaps didn't read the kickstarter updates?
DruidTek wrote: I'd really love to see someone creating an actual piece of music on one of these, with drums, bass and melodies, etc. That would go a long way towards proving its worth, imo.
I'm the developer working on this, I'm not a musician, so I cannot create the demo you are looking for, but maybe some of the users will at some point.
Last edited by bschiett on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:28 am

info for developers who want to build or recompile VST plugins for the SSP -
https://forum.percussa.com/t/how-to-bui ... -ssp/348/2
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

User avatar
bschiett
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 10:55 am
Location: los angeles, ca
Contact:

Post by bschiett » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:36 am

nectarios wrote: In the granular video that actually generates grains, Xenakis style granular and sounds like Clouds (with a lot more grains), is there also a Curtis micro sound implementation that sounds like the Morphagene/ER-301?
The granular module in the SSP's software is capable of generating a wide variety of different sound depending on what you've set the settings to. Here are the settings available:

- grain rate (coarse/fine)
- grain selection start/end (defines the window from which grains are picked)
- grain duration
- grain tune
- grain level
- number of grains
- grain frequency
- grain randomization

The grains are randomized in length and panning and have triangular envelopes. The grain pick position and pitch is also randomized.

If you have specific questions let me know.
Percussa Super Signal Processor Eurorack Module (SSP) | 16in/8out @ 192kHz/32bit DSP module | polyphonic wavetable, granular, sampling, and more | modular in a module | multichannel recorder

6667
Common Wiggler
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Post by 6667 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:20 am

what's the advantage of this over just rack mounting my laptop next to my euro modules

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”