MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Power Consumption Problem with Analogue Systems RS-15
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Power Consumption Problem with Analogue Systems RS-15
ltjohnrambo
I've got this set of modules in my RS-15, and I'm having power issues.

The total consumption should be 557mA (+12V), 327mA (-12V), 0mA (+5V), which is far under the rating of the case, 1500mA (+12V), 1500mA (-12V).

If I plug in all the modules I get erratic behavior. Unplugging the some of the modules will fix the issue.

Is it normal for the actual power rating or a case to vary so much from its rating on paper? Are the power consumption stats accurate on modulargrid?
thisoldhouse
Yes it delivers that much. And it handles this as 750ma on left half of sockets and 750ma on right- separated by the 6 fuses in the center (divide the asys row in the middle). There’s a fuse for each rail of each half. So if you plug an rs-370 (680ma) in a jack on the left side of sockets you will need to use the right side of sockets for the remaining modules or you may blow a fuse on the left if trying to add much more.

With the list you provided you should not have a problem plugging all your mudules in on only one half.

I’ve blown fuses in my case before I understood the half n half thing but it certainly runs as specified. Still in use here for about 8 years now.
ltjohnrambo
Quote:

With the list you provided you should not have a problem plugging all your mudules in on only one half.

That's what I figured. I've got the modules split 4 on each side of the bus board. I haven't blown any fuses either.

Some of the issues I'm seeing when all the modules are plugged in:

Malgorithm won't light up
Dr. Octature lights pulse slowly

Unplugging one of them will fix the issue. Recently I got the Intellijel Audio Interface, and that seems to make things much worse which makes sense due to the power consumption.

Is it possible that one of the modules is drawing more power than it should be?
Mungo
The two VCOs draw similar current to the io module, removing any one of them should produce a similar result. The silly question is are you in a 110V country and did you check the voltage selection?
ltjohnrambo
Mungo wrote:
The silly question is are you in a 110V country and did you check the voltage selection?

Haha, I'll have to check... that would be embarrassing.

I've moved everything into a spare Doepfer case and it seems to be working fine now.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1