MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bitwig 2.4 is out! - Sampler enchantments and much more!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Bitwig 2.4 is out! - Sampler enchantments and much more!
droningsphagettimonster
Bitwig is killing it. . . when they render the CPU load to GUI I'm afraid Bitwig is going to become as "perfect" as daw can be for me. I guess that's going to take couple of more months, but they are working on it (and most certainly listening carefully to their user base). Oh, and its 100$ off until 31. july!

Sampler overhaul
Extended MIDI channel support
New modulators: ParSeq-8, Note Counter
New devices: Note FX Layer, Channel Filter, Channel Map
Resizable tracks in Mix view
Resizable scenes in Arrange view
Colorable scenes
Controller take-over modes
On-screen controller visualization
Interaction-based hints
New quick start templates
Modulation workflow enhancements
And more...

https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_4

what do you think? w00t
KaOsphere
Nothing here to make me resub for the moment... smile
yghartsyrt
that subscription model is really a huge turn-off for me.
nangu
yghartsyrt wrote:
that subscription model is really a huge turn-off for me.

I hate subscriptions too. At least this appears to be a form of middle ground- if your subscription lapses, your installed software doesn't instantly turn into a pumpkin. You just lose access to future updates until you renew..

Considering that my OS is usually at least 'fashionably late' in order to maintain compatibility with some ancient thing or other, upgrades often aren't available to me anyway.

I would immediately buy a bunch of Adobe stuff if I still could, but I'm absolutely not renting software. This Bitwig setup seems reasonable enough that I might actually jump in at some point if it keeps looking tasty..
Shledge
If it supported my audio interface, I'd happily jump ship. At the moment it just spits out noise.
nangu
[edit] I’ll make my own thread instead of hijacking this one.

Sorry!
PatrickW
I switched from Ableton to Bitwig about 8 months ago.
I have not regretted it for one second.
And it is getting even better at an amazing pace.

My 3 favorites in this update :
- Sampler overhaul
- New modulators: ParSeq-8, Note Counter
- Resizable tracks in Mix view
shreeswifty
mE either
bitwig is refreshing after 10 years with abelton
mateo
Looking forward to this one, but I hope they get it out before my "upgrade plan" expires in September....

It's definitely refreshing after years of Ableton, although I find the warping really fiddly, and end up working with Live when I have to do a lot of it...
SB-SIX
Also switched from ableton to bitwig a few years ago (1.1). Returning to ableton now instantly makes me depressed and it feels crippled in many ways compared to bitwig. Looking forward to the update!
scozbor
No mention of the issue with the upper limit of the audio driver buffer size?

I've seen a few people mention it, but haven't looked into it too deeply.
Not sure how big an issue it is or if it's just a few isolated reports.

But I can't currently increase buffer size beyond a certain point (can't remember exactly what).

Not a huge problem - as long as it's fixed soon!
Panason
I was told that you only have to pay after 12 months for big upgrades, eg from 1 to 2 and that point upgrades, eg 2.2 to 2.3 are free?
droningsphagettimonster
You pay and get every major release for 12 months. Every user always get bug fixes patches for free on the curreny version they have (2.3.x) or whatever. So if your upgrade plan expires while they are on 2.5 for example you still get all the 2.5.x fix patches for free but youll need to upgrade for 2.6 and so one.

Support the devs, that team is truly making something special. People asked for more midi support and better sampler and here it is. For 2.5 I hope they focus on the fundamentals and existing devices (stability, workflow, ironing the remaining bugs and focus on the piano roll particularly) before they add more features.
pzoot
Shledge wrote:
If it supported my audio interface, I'd happily jump ship. At the moment it just spits out noise.

Jeez, what audio interface are you using, a Soundblaster Pro?
Shledge
Tascam 16x08 - works fine on everything except bitwig.
droningsphagettimonster
Have you contacted tech support regarding that issue? Sounds like something that can, should and probably will be addressed... hmmm.....
Shledge
Multiple people have mentioned this problem to them, including me. It's an ASIO driver implementation problem when it comes to certain audio interfaces.
droningsphagettimonster
Ouch. d'oh!
droningsphagettimonster
Beta is online. zombie
peripatitis
droningsphagettimonster wrote:
You pay and get every major release for 12 months. Every user always get bug fixes patches for free on the curreny version they have (2.3.x) or whatever. So if your upgrade plan expires while they are on 2.5 for example you still get all the 2.5.x fix patches for free but youll need to upgrade for 2.6 and so one.

Support the devs, that team is truly making something special. People asked for more midi support and better sampler and here it is. For 2.5 I hope they focus on the fundamentals and existing devices (stability, workflow, ironing the remaining bugs and focus on the piano roll particularly) before they add more features.

Still on the fence for that summer deal, not really into the visual aspect of it but so so many intriguing functions.

But honestly i can't imagine how a sampler overhaul and a few more modulators and devices can be thought of as a major release..
On the other hand if they give you 5-6 of this releases a year perhaps it might be worth it. Btw what happens if you don't re subscribe for a year or so?
PatrickW
peripatitis wrote:

Still on the fence for that summer deal, not really into the visual aspect of it but so so many intriguing functions.

But honestly i can't imagine how a sampler overhaul and a few more modulators and devices can be thought of as a major release..
On the other hand if they give you 5-6 of this releases a year perhaps it might be worth it. Btw what happens if you don't re subscribe for a year or so?

I don't think it is called a "major release", since it is going from 2.3 to 2.4
If you don't subscribe for a year, nothing happens, except that you don't get the new updates during that period.
The day you re-subscribe, you get all the updates that happened in the past.
I personally like that model.
It gives Bitwig the chance to bring out new updates regularly and as a customer, you can choose how much you want to invest in the software.
droningsphagettimonster
PatrickW wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

I don't think it is called a "major release", since it is going from 2.3 to 2.4
If you don't subscribe for a year, nothing happens, except that you don't get the new updates during that period.
The day you re-subscribe, you get all the updates that happened in the past.
I personally like that model.
It gives Bitwig the chance to bring out new updates regularly and as a customer, you can choose how much you want to invest in the software.

thats what Bitwig calls 2.4 on facebook. doesn't really matter, those devs are working incredibly fast and I find that those who pay for next upgrade plan always rest assured that they get at least 3 "major" releases for the money.
phonodyne
shreeswifty wrote:
mE either

I'm a long time Ableton user but I've been flirting a bit with Bitwig recently. Keen to hear more from people that have made the switch over and what they find preferable about Bitwig in a day-to-day kind of way... Anyone care to share?
mateo
phonodyne wrote:
shreeswifty wrote:
mE either

I'm a long time Ableton user but I've been flirting a bit with Bitwig recently. Keen to hear more from people that have made the switch over and what they find preferable about Bitwig in a day-to-day kind of way... Anyone care to share?

For me, the main advantages are the modulation system and the easy modular integration. The ergonomics of certain things like adding devices or looping clips is great as well. Other things are a mixed bag. the devices themselves generally sound good but lack features compared to Live's (the eqs and filters, for example). being able to edit audio within a clip is great, but warping is a hassle.

So overall, I prefer using bitwig but I do find myself reaching for ableton for some things.
droningsphagettimonster
I'm no daw pro and am relatively new to Bitwig, but I've grown to become a rather much fanboy pretty fast and I won't hesitate to have my upgrade plan up to date to support the team once I run out even though my wishes won't be included every time.

Modulators aside, I find Bitwig much more convenient when working with hardware and editing audio once its recorded.
If I were focusing on software I'd probably select live 10, but I feel that Bitwig are catching up ridiculously fast. After getting used to the audio editing system, the FX slots, having a bridge between session view and arrangement view (the clip luncher), the user configurable display, faster and more convenient automation system and how Bitwig manages tracks and what is contained within them, I cant think of many reasons to rather use Live 10. Than comes the CV/gate fun...

There are still some things missing but all in all Bitwig is fun. So far I've not stumbled on some obstigle where I'm just stuck and unable to do what I need to do to move on with a track. I'm personally hoping for midi step input and maybe more focus on the piano roll and its features as I'm sequencing my gear with Bitwig's midi system and I'm expecting Bitwig to focus on the piano roll sooner than later as they have already implemented what seemed to be the most frequently asked for features: time stretch and proper sampler.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2