MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

uScale and how to feed it usable voltages?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author uScale and how to feed it usable voltages?
Kivig
Hi.
I’m looking for advice on how to “feed” the uScale in order to get it to output slow and clean notes within 1 octave range.

So far, I have used the Maths as input and I can get it to output something close to the above. But the octave range always seems to be too wide (3-4 octaves). So...

How can I limit the octave range?
How do you “feed” and control the uScale?

Cheers
ketem13
I feed my Uscale with random voltage such as the wogglebug stepped out or Batumi in expert firmware .
in order to stay in 1 octave range I first attenuate my signal with maths ch 2 for 3 then connect it to the in of Uscale.
cptnal
Use Maths' attenuated output. w00t
luketeaford
The other way is to use a min/max module. The doepfer one takes four inputs so you can begin or end quantizing at a certain threshold.
Keltie
You might also find a sample and hold useful on the output, depending....
Kivig
luketeaford wrote:
The other way is to use a min/max module. The doepfer one takes four inputs so you can begin or end quantizing at a certain threshold.

Something like this?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-133
rustyjaw
Also don't forget (it took me forever to start using the feature) that you can use shift to cycle through presets in a saved bank. What I've done in the past is to make a bunch of presets with a couple of notes each, and then use shift to select the presets in different patterns.

Using this in conjunction with Turing Machine (CV out --> uScale Shift) can generate interesting melodic passages.

Watch this super-helpful video from a fellow MW member:

EDIT: OOPS, wrong video...here is the one about banks (but all 4 uScale vids are great):
https://vimeo.com/198388671

TemplarK
Maths will do this just use the sum out easy
luketeaford
Kivig wrote:
Something like this?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-133

Not what I had in mind, but maybe. Here is an example of using the A172 MAX/MIN module with uScaleII and Maths:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlQ5gfzHbt9/

Attenuating the function and offset from Maths manually lets me choose when to glissandi through the quantizer.

I also have an A-133 so I'll see what I can do with that.

I think what you're trying to do would be to use a S&H, by the way.
Dcramer
Ultimately, like a lot of modules, you need some way to attenuate, invert, and offset your modulating voltages to tame the result.
Quantizer are a great example of this need.
I use an Intellijel Triat usually but Maths can do it as well as most attenuverting utilities.
Keep in mind though that the uScale only responds to positive voltage and it seems to like those voltages to be offset a little higher than zero volts.
I find mine tends to produce too much of the lowest scale tone if my CV dips under 1 volt much of the time. thumbs up
luketeaford
Instagram just crashed on me during recording of the same patch with an A-133, but basically I found that it will be much harder to control the range from the A-133 panel controls-- it very easily goes beyond desired pitch or even beyond perception.

It's a different effect than the 172 anyhow-- CV of this moves the entire function before the quantizer instead of moving the point where things becomes quantized.

I'd prefer to do this with S&H for most cases, MAX/MIN as a fallback, and a VCA in third place.

In any case, attenuation is important!
Kivig
Thanks guys for great response.
The closest I have come to what I seek is by using S&H where the click comes from Pamelas Workout and osc from SynthTech E350. Doing this the oct range is pretty wide though.

I have also tried to "tame" the range by using the Doepfer Noise to control the red/blue areas, but then I can't use a click to set the tempo.

So a mix of those, or perhaps a tweek in one of those chains.

Cheers, and thanks.
nickgrys
The Manhattan Analog CVP is inexpensive and useful. It might help with your situation.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/manhattan-analog-cvp
Kivig
That Manhattan Analog CVP looks great. I will try some of my own attenuators and Maths tonight before purchasing more modules wink
timoka
no need to purchase any module if you have maths, just take channel two or three and adjust your voltages up or down.
most voltages in eurorack are between 0 to 5, or 0 to 8,10 volt or then the bipolar equivalents -5 to 5 etc.
so if you want to have your quantizer range in around one octave you have to attenuate and possibly offset quite a bit, following the 1v/oct standard.
cptnal
Kinda what I was driving at with my somewhat terse opener. oops
Kivig
Thanks again!

I worked a bit more with the uScale and Maths.
Did a short video of an ambient patch.
Got the range tamed pretty well.
Next time I will drive Maths ch1 into ch2 and attenuate further before uScale.
thumbs up

https://www.facebook.com/modularskivig/videos/205064220184021/
10 Miles High
Hi folks,

sorry if this is slightly offtopic now but - did you check if your uScale does interpret incoming voltages correctly?

Because mine is reading too sharp. Meaning, when I feed it 1V it should read "C", but it shows "C#" and with 3V as much as a "G".

I compare to my Tubbutec uTune, and that is showing correctly "C1", "C2" etc. for 1V, 2V and so on.

Is there an easy fix ? Or have I to replace an item on the board?

10 Mh
joem
10 Miles High wrote:
Hi folks,

sorry if this is slightly offtopic now but - did you check if your uScale does interpret incoming voltages correctly?

Because mine is reading too sharp. Meaning, when I feed it 1V it should read "C", but it shows "C#" and with 3V as much as a "G".

I compare to my Tubbutec uTune, and that is showing correctly "C1", "C2" etc. for 1V, 2V and so on.

Is there an easy fix ? Or have I to replace an item on the board?

10 Mh

Why are you trying to quantize already-quantized voltages? If you rethink what you're trying to do, there might be a better way that makes more sense.
10 Miles High
No I am not trying to quantize already quantized voltages.

I have two quantizers (uTune and uScale) and when I feed them equal voltages from say an lfo then I want them to read (and put out) same notes - for harmony reasons.

It turned out that the uScale was off and Danjel gave me a hint how to fix this by replacing one resistor on the board.

All is good now )

10 Mh
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1