MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What makes the Plan B Milton Sequencer so coveted?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author What makes the Plan B Milton Sequencer so coveted?
Kent
Hello all,

Firstly, there's one available in Europe.

Secondly, why do people go ga-ga for this thing? What makes it so cool? I've read the website a bit and it seems like a good, but not "Holy Mother of Fuck!" good sequencer.

Anyone wanna hip me to it?
Soy Sos
I dunno, maybe because it's still not available. razz

It's real cool looking tho..........
parasitk
It certainly didn't grab me like the Klee did, so I'd love to know as well.

Soy Sos wrote:
I dunno, maybe because it's still not available.

That was my first thought! grin
felix
1) It's pretty well featured for a euro sequencer
2) It's rare

Actually, I think it's not so much the rarity as it is that people who want it have been waiting for a LONG time, and if they still want it after all this time, then they will practically pay anything to get it.
dkcg
I just like the ability to send a sample and hold of noise and have it sequence randomly based on the noise S&H input, or a rising ramp to have it play forwards, falling ramp for reverse, etc. From what I understand it does, it sounds a lot like a hardware form of how most my sequencer in MaxMSP are built.

And it's rare and Peter's the ultimate Milton tease with those 3 flavors of Milton.... lol
tragedybysyntax
Doesnt it also have clock dividers as well or no?
brandon daniel
dkcg wrote:
I just like the ability to send a sample and hold of noise and have it sequence randomly based on the noise S&H input, or a rising ramp to have it play forwards, falling ramp for reverse, etc. From what I understand it does, it sounds a lot like a hardware form of how most my sequencer in MaxMSP are built

Yeah, but the 155+154 combo will do that, too. There are advantages to the milton but the doepfer stuff is available NOW.
consumed
yes its special because of the way that it runs like dkcg described. i didnt know about all the functionality of the 154 though...ill have to look at it again.
fluxmonkey
i dodn't think that any of the PlanB Milton sequencers have actually been release yet... still vaporware, based on the info from their site. i have one of the original pre-PlanB Miltons (4u x 19", so not eurorack format)... as you say, it is good but not HMoF good.

bbob
thetwlo
there's the Modcan version and Big City sells the boards if you want to build your own:
http://www.modcan.com/bseries/vcseq.htm
http://bigcitymusic.com/product.asp?cat=new&pid=1000464
dkcg
fluxmonkey wrote:
i dodn't think that any of the PlanB Milton sequencers have actually been release yet... still vaporware, based on the info from their site. i have one of the original pre-PlanB Miltons (4u x 19", so not eurorack format)... as you say, it is good but not HMoF good.

bbob

I think the mini-Miltons will come out first. I hope before the end of the year, but that time's closing in. It would be nice to get a surprise announcement that they are starting to ship. confused
Kent
I've been looking at the long-outdated comparison page (the MAQ has been updated since the time of writing) and it seems to me that the MAQ, coupled with either the Doepfer A-155 or the MFB SEQ-01 would do everything that the Milton does with very few exceptions. Plus, it has MIDI and recall.

The addition of the A-155 or SEQ-01 would be just to get individual outs for each step.

Check here for a comparative study:

http://www.buzzclick-music.com/milt_compare.html

Milton kits:

http://bigcitymusic.com/product.asp?cat=new&pid=1000464
e-grad
Yep, thought about Big City Music, too. However BCM offering PCBs only:

Quote:
The Plan B Milton Sequencer kit provides the bare boards (new engine board + 4 bank boards), assembly instructions, schematics and test procedure needed for construction of a 16 step x 4 bank analog VOLTAGE CONTROLLABLE sequencer.

while the Milton needs an PIC as well (see it's assembly instructions):

Quote:
Your MIlton kit came with a single 8 pin IC. This is the ACB PIC chip and should be installed on the Engine Board in the location labeled ABC PIC

No idea though wether they've forgotten to mention the PIC or they're selling useless PCBs.
e-grad
Apparently the boards can be used w/out the PIC:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-17376-0.html&postdays=0&postorder =asc&highlight=milton
REwire
The Modcan B sequencer I have was licensed from the Milton. It lacks the "One Shot" feature of the Milton however.
indexofmetals
if the modcan isn't so different, how come bruce can get it up & out so quickly & still no sign of any of the plan b versions? from past experience I know bruce is brilliant ; maybe a model business plan for other manufacturers?
Kent
Plan B release schedule for the rest of the year:

MODEL 31 – BUFFERED MULT
Next week

MODEL 32 – VECTOR PLOTTER
MODEL 21C MINI MILTON
By the end of 2008
thermionicjunky
indexofmetals wrote:
if the modcan isn't so different, how come bruce can get it up & out so quickly & still no sign of any of the plan b versions? from past experience I know bruce is brilliant ; maybe a model business plan for other manufacturers?

The Modcan is based on an early version of the Milton which uses entirely different technology. The circuit boards for sale at Big City Music also use the original technology. Peter got hung up on certain functions which required a redesign using a microprocessor. Personally, I would leave out any additional, internal functionality, since it can be controlled with external voltage. As it is, I think it is the ideal sequencer for a modular system.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1