MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Voltage Modular from Cherry Audio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author Voltage Modular from Cherry Audio
SonicVoltage
Hi,
I didn't see a thread for the upcoming Voltage Modular software modular synth from Cherry Audio.
A few pre-release copies have been sent out from Cherry Audio and this was a quick jam that came out as I was simply trying the software for the first time after installing it.

It runs Standalone or as DAW plugin on Window and macOS.

I will try to get more videos done soon, so we can see more of what's on offer
SonicVoltage
A simple self-playing patch with Cherry Audio Voltage Modular virtual modular synth.

LFO based sequencing.

j_dowe
in my experience Softube has the best virtual modular sound, and VCV has the largest free library and community. and maybe Reaktor Blocks is a strong contender for both sound & expansive library.

will this be able to compete?

the demos so far sound very digital. i'm recently impressed with how good the Softube modules sound. although the Softube workflow is clunky.
Gribs
Does anyone have any new thoughts on this modular software? I own licenses for Reaktor and Softube modular already so owning this one would be overkill, but... you know...

A fairly large number of new factory modules were announced, including a sample-player module. A $10 upgrade turns the sample player into a stereo sampler.
rjungemann
I love Voltage Modular. It's my second-favorite of the virtual modulars at the moment (after VCV but before Softube).

Performance is excellent, it can host VST/AU and also act as a VST/AU (even both at the same time).

There is a very good selection of modules currently. I haven't had a crash yet.

There was a bug for a short time where UI was sluggish on Mac Retina displays which has been fixed.

The Voltage Modular Designer app is surprisingly well-thought out, and if you know some coding, is not too tough to figure out. I have two module ideas I am looking to implement in it.

The Euclidian Duel sequencer is fantastic. The Misfit Audio drum modules are great. The new sampler modules seem really interesting (Sampler II in theory should allow live loop-recording). The logic modules are fun for gate sequencing.

But the killer features are probably poly patch-cables for dead-simple polyphony, and MIDI learn on every knob.
Gribs
rjungemann wrote:
I love Voltage Modular. It's my second-favorite of the virtual modulars at the moment (after VCV but before Softube).

Heya, thank you for the info.

I saw the module designer thing on their web site. It looks interesting. I got into Reaktor programming for a while then stopped and just started using other peoples’ stuff because programming anything more advanced than a simple subtractive synth felt too much like my daytime job!
rjungemann
Gribs wrote:
I saw the module designer thing on their web site. It looks interesting.

The Module Designer is drag-and-drop for the UI, and by placing elements down, it auto-generates a bunch of code for you. The actual DSP portion is in code, but there's a palette in the editor to drag-and-drop various useful DSP patterns like slews etc. So, there is a little bit of a learning curve, but I was pleasantly surprised at how much thought they put in the Designer.

Voltage Modular's module store reminds me a little bit of the Propellerheads store in that it seems more straightforward than VCV and Softube for creators to sell modules. And the team seems to listen and implement feature requests in the forums quickly (poly cables is the example that comes to mind).

There still isn't as many modules as VCV as I mentioned, but many more than Softube. One category which could use some more modules, imo, is sequencers.
splitpoint
I just spent some quality time with Voltage and it kicks ass as a loop processor using either of the available samplers. It's light on the cpu from what I've experienced and there is a nice selection of modules.
j_dowe
splitpoint wrote:
I just spent some quality time with Voltage and it kicks ass as a loop processor using either of the available samplers. It's light on the cpu from what I've experienced and there is a nice selection of modules.

what do you find kick ass about the samplers? i watched the 3 minute video on them, and they look fine, but nothing jumped out at me.
splitpoint
j_dowe wrote:

what do you find kick ass about the samplers? i watched the 3 minute video on them, and they look fine, but nothing jumped out at me.

For starters being able to actually sample with a "sampler" module was a nice surprise. There's a nice visual display for looping along with peak detection to allow you to snap to transients when looping. Easy to modify the start and end times with cv. Load up a loop and hook up a step sequencer, filter, add some effects and the industrial world is your oyster.

For example attached is a loop snippet from Piano Attack with a sequencer modifying pitch as the loop plays, running through the hp/lp drum filter, gated VCA with envelope to soften or remove the clicks/glitches on the beat decays, pump it through spring reverb and chorus and get this:
j_dowe
splitpoint wrote:

For example attached is a loop snippet ...

i'm beginning to see what you mean. nice patching!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1