MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Arturia Drumbrute Impact
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Arturia Drumbrute Impact
Mind Flayer
This looks pretty sweet for $350.

Youtube Arturia Drumbrute Impact

I tried the original Drumbrute out a bunch of time at various stores. Loved the workflow, but couldn't stand most of the sounds. And most of the units I tried all had the problem where the noise generator pooped out so there were no maracas and no snap at all to the snares.

Looks like this new unit has much better sounds. I also like that it's a little more compact. If it doesn't have similar problems of some of the voices crapping out like the original Drumbrute, I don't know if I'll be able to resist this.
Chopper
More personality than the "full" brute for sure. Nice to see a fm drum generator here.
Kich could do with an ATTACK parameter, but that's me...
milkshake
It sounds a bit less crap....
lisa
milkshake wrote:

If you can’t make the DrumBrute sound good then you’re crap. Sorry to be the one to tell you. Miley Cyrus

EDIT: to be clear: I’m joking about you being crap. To each their own but I have no problems with making it sound good and I’m quite sure that most people who think that it can’t sound good 1. never used one and/or 2. has a strong 808/909 bias. If you want the DrumBrute to sound like the old Roland stuff you’ll be disappointed. It has its own sound.
Panason
Youtuber stops the sequence to add drum hits d'oh!

Sounds like they have improved on the original. For the price it's pretty good assuming it works properly.
Richjk7
I trust Behringers quality over Arturia any day.
hippo1
...My, my!
I guess my only issue will be rather familiar: I already own the original, and will supplement with this one. I hope the basics (bass,snare) aren't identical between the two; overlap is no fun.
Lookin' forwards to the FM toms...
jabberwalky
The Korg Er1 was 4 FM drums like 17 years ago and still sounds better.
Xmit
^
ha! yes - watched the Arturia vids & that's exactly what sprung to mind :"it's just like a less good ER-1"

hihi
berfmurret
The ER-1 comparison was my first thought, as well.
chvad
This new box, IMO, sounds waaaay cooler than the original Drum Brute. That's cool to hear. I had the original for a week and sent it back .

lisa wrote:
milkshake wrote:

If you can’t make the DrumBrute sound good then you’re crap. Sorry to be the one to tell you. Miley Cyrus

EDIT: to be clear: I’m joking about you being crap. To each their own but I have no problems with making it sound good and I’m quite sure that most people who think that it can’t sound good 1. never used one and/or 2. has a strong 808/909 bias. If you want the DrumBrute to sound like the old Roland stuff you’ll be disappointed. It has its own sound.

It def has it's own sound but arguably so does a Tom Cat and Rhythm Wolf and that didn't do them much in the way of favors lol. Sound is subjective as always but as I'm not an 808/909 fanboy and I owned a Brute I just figured I'd chime in. I'm sure I could have MADE the Brute sound good but IMO I shouldn't have to. A box that limited in editing should have a tone I'm generally pleased with that I can work from. If you the two criteria you posted were directed towards something like a Nord Drum or a Tempest... drum synths with super deep editing capabilities I'd agree with you more and add a third category of person who 3) doesn't know how to use it. lol. Anyhoo... all in all I liked a lot of the Brute but I couldn't get past the clap, hats, cymbal. Everything else was pretty decent to my ears but that flapjack clap was killing me and cymbals.... just not a tone I'd ever find myself using. Those were the deal killers for me.
BenA718
Not heard of the ER-1 until now; sounds like a cool machine!
hw408
I bought the old drumbrute full price and never ended up using it. very frustrating
I even played with it a number of times in the store, not sure what happened.
the tone ranger
I’m very tempted by this. My only worry is Arturia’s reputation for build quality.
porphyrion
Recent Arturia is more reliable than it was in the early days of Origin. Never had a single glitch with the Matrix-, Mini- or MicroBrute. YMMV
oscilloscope
lisa wrote:

Yep, you should be sorry.

nanners
oscilloscope
the tone ranger wrote:
I’m very tempted by this. My only worry is Arturia’s reputation for build quality.

If you are into the Roland x0x sound, why don't you wait for the upcoming Behringer RB 808 ? Price might around $300, then make you choice....

nanners

Mind Flayer
The reliability is the main issue for me with this new Drumbrute. While I didn't like most of the sounds on the original Drumbrute, that may have been largely due to the fact that every unit I tried in person at multiple different stores seemed to have the (apparently) widespread problem that caused the snares and maracas to not function properly (not sure if this also affected the hat sounds). And that machine came out only two years ago, so that doesn't inspire any confidence whatsoever in Arturia's QC.

The original Drumbrute may have sounded great in person if it worked as intended, but I never got to really experience that b/c of the problems with the unit. Hopefully they'll fix that, but I'm definitely going to wait a few months to see others' experiences in terms of reliability.
anselmi
oscilloscope wrote:
Price might around $300

eek! eek! eek! eek! eek!
thetwlo
moremagic
jabberwalky wrote:
The Korg Er1 was 4 FM drums like 17 years ago and still sounds better.
you can edit parameters on more than 1 voice simultaneously i guess? its different enough from the er-1 that it could be interesting, i think

the polyrhythm or polymeter or whatever is a nice plus, as are multiple outs, but idk if id ever be an early adopter for arturia stuff, given their history
Berlin2016
medium Rob
it looks like he's having a good time.. nice demo
mateo
Seriously tempted by this: nice sounds and nice price!
Panason
I can't see the Behringer costing less than 400 bucks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3