MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

funeral doom recommendation thread:
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author funeral doom recommendation thread:
mome rath
anybody?

already a huge fan of:
bell witch
mournful congregation
shape of despair
funeral
frowning
HighLordFixer

obscure classic "Cthonic Doom"
mome rath
HighLordFixer wrote:

classic "Cthonic Doom"

right so, thanks
reminds me of DEATH, CANCER, PUNGENT STENCH, etc

but was thinking more like this, go to 35 min

i'd include some my dying bride, but they're... well they're losin it
HighLordFixer

That was few years before ever heard scream bloody gore
it was way weird for the time
left an impression
HighLordFixer

this was total fucking game changer when released!
HighLordFixer
the timecode point you mentioned in that video/album sort of remind me of "God Speed You Black Emperor" in some ways
(awesome live)
wouldn't really call them Doom
yet personally can't keep up with band sub-categories anymore
mome rath
quintessential death metal and goregrind!

not quite on target but very much appreciated and loved, thanks

love

i can't play much DEATH but i can probably crank out a few CARCASS licks
headbang

PS love the hardware av
HighLordFixer
~shrug~
hear ya
Eye still force myself watching this old video from VHS

thanks for the reminder razz
sort of watching that vid practicing pentatonic runs at the moment
(ye olde exercises)
does that count as "Doom" still?
mome rath
HighLordFixer wrote:

does that count as "Doom"?

not FUNERAL doom.....................!!!!

you kids get off my lawn
HighLordFixer

mome rath
HighLordFixer wrote:
a thing

yassssssssssssss
neandrewthal
mome rath wrote:
right so, thanks
reminds me of DEATH, CANCER, PUNGENT STENCH, etc

but was thinking more like this, go to 35 min

i'd include some my dying bride, but they're... well they're losin it

Don't worry dude gotcha covered!

hex
Evoken
mt3

Unsure how open-eared y'all like to experiment with, but check out Low's first two albums.
For those that enjoy asphyxiated gratification anti-ejaculation. Crescendo high all the way, never climax.
Hougaard
Nortt Nortt

Corrupted Corrupted
crawling wind

sparood
Yeah Skepticism for sure, Lead And Aether is such a classic. To bad the vocals are so poor. Classics along with The Angel And The Dark River from My Dying Bride and Crippled Lucifer from Burning Witch.

The Call Of The Wretched Sea from Ahab was a real eye-opener for me at the time. A deep and melancholic piece about Moby Dick and the hunt for the the giant great whale, way more metal than those gothic misanthropes.

Horseback Battle Hammer from Conan is another of those albums. Not exactly funeral doom, to fast and to much 'stoner-like' riffs, but the guitar tuning is so low an thick, alongside with the howling vocals and slow pace makes it a solid masterpiece.
crawling wind
Do not have a problem with the Skepticism vocals. Plus, he has such a presence! I also like the Wretched Sea by Ahab. After listening on YouTube, I went ahead and bought the CD. It really made me realize how less potent music is on YouTube. The difference was astounding. Don't forget kids, sometimes you need the real thing.

sparood wrote:
Yeah Skepticism for sure, Lead And Aether is such a classic. To bad the vocals are so poor. Classics along with The Angel And The Dark River from My Dying Bride and Crippled Lucifer from Burning Witch.

The Call Of The Wretched Sea from Ahab was a real eye-opener for me at the time. A deep and melancholic piece about Moby Dick and the hunt for the the giant great whale, way more metal than those gothic misanthropes.

Horseback Battle Hammer from Conan is another of those albums. Not exactly funeral doom, to fast and to much 'stoner-like' riffs, but the guitar tuning is so low an thick, alongside with the howling vocals and slow pace makes it a solid masterpiece.
crawling wind
Mournful Congregation is playing in Portland in a couple days. I saw them last time, and they were great! Not sure if I will go as I get up at 5am for work next day. Also, I tend to enjoy doom most in autumn/winter. Not 98 degrees...
zeit
I like that Bell Witch, never heard of them before....that Four Phantoms album sounds great. cool
Bodo1967
Ahab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPK9y2IwGas

Edit: OK, I overlooked Ahab were already mentioned a few posts above.
hex

Euro Trash Bazooka
THERGOTHON.

UNHOLY.

WINTER could count.

MONARCH's latest releases (locals and buddies of mine, they just toured with Bell Witch, and I'm seeing them again tomorrow.)

WORMPHLEGM.

STABAT MATER.

PROFETUS.

LOSS.

WORSHIP.

Etc...
biscuitdough
Euro Trash Bazooka wrote:
THERGOTHON.

UNHOLY.

WINTER could count.

MONARCH's latest releases (locals and buddies of mine, they just toured with Bell Witch, and I'm seeing them again tomorrow.)

WORMPHLEGM.

STABAT MATER.

PROFETUS.

LOSS.

WORSHIP.

Etc...

Thergothon and Unholy, together with the titular band of the subgenre, Funera (Norway), are fundamentals. Highly recommend them all.

Unholy is super weird, and there's a special quality to all of the more experimental 90s to early 2000s metal in which it's naive about production and even songwriting, often incorporating a really awkward piece of sound design, but in the context of an accomplished band who seem to know what they're going for. Sigh (Japan) and Fleurety are other good examples of this.

There was also an Unholy worship band, Deinonychous, at least in their mid period (the albums The Ark of Thought, the self-titled, and Mournument). If I remember right, the earlier stuff was more in the vein of early Katatonia, and the later stuff more straightforward. The singer was on one of the good Bethlehem albums, too - the first three Bethlehem albums sort of sound like a raw, blackened version of My Dying Bride, and then there's the Profane Fetmilch Lentzt Elf Krank EP where they revealed their Cure and Radiohead influences, which somehow worked really well. Pretty skippable after that though.
mome rath
crawling wind wrote:
Mournful Congregation is playing in Portland in a couple days. I saw them last time, and they were great! Not sure if I will go as I get up at 5am for work next day. Also, I tend to enjoy doom most in autumn/winter. Not 98 degrees...

with bell witch?? cry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2