MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Hertz Donut mk III - video demo prototype
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Author Hertz Donut mk III - video demo prototype
mt3

Due out September 2018.
Timeline in video to various points in the discussion is below.

Hertz Donut mk III & Andore Jr
14:30 overview
15:00 whiteboard demo: theory, history, topology
16:15 implementation
16:40 sinusoidal purity
16:50 modulation operator A introduction
17:20 integer ratio quantization
17:30 1:1 sin-on-sin crime
18:26 HDmk3 mixer paradigm explanatory explication
19:15 modulation operator B introduction
19:50 mastermodulation
20:50 sinusoidal limitations
21:25 multifunctional big knob control
22:50 spectra explore
23:00 wavefolder fractal harmonics
23:40 audio rate modulation
24:30 nord lead 2 (aside)
25:00 green waveshaping mode external wavetable position modulation
25:35 fast harsh Chebyshev polynomial demonstrative
26:00 vocalic triangulation
26:25 red waveshaping mode zero crossings discontinuity
27:00 improved samplerate reduced aliasing
27:15 4th mode CZ1 ode and homage
27:43 resonant face distortion filthier stimulation
28:40 penance: phace distortion revealed i.e., the bump effect
29:30 choked 1980 EBM bassline access K├Ârpermusik
30:00 gated sequence reprise 1980 EBM mix
32:00 lovable aggressions: IME evolution to mk III
32:45 easily accessible sonic extremes
33:45 module release dates
34:10 intercoupling parameter adjustments and relationships
35:40 knobs vs sliders
Schroeder
HDmk3 seems amazing, can't wait to get one! love
temaniak
But now i can't understand: can it change mk1 or mk2? Any ringmod? Mod Osc's as LFO? Any features of buchla's comlex? Or its just another ideas, based on 3-ops FM?
Schroeder
temaniak wrote:
But now i can't understand: can it change mk1 or mk2? Any ringmod? Mod Osc's as LFO? Any features of buchla's comlex? Or its just another ideas, based on 3-ops FM?

we don't have full details yet, but as Scott said before, it's very different from previous HD's, less of a dual complex, more of a 3-ops FM voice.
I suppose that the fourth assignable slider he mentioned in the video could be routed to amplitude or timbre/shape modulation, similar to a classic dual-complex scheme. We'll see smile
Leverkusen
I like the concept and it sounds great. Though when I watch the video there are some clicks and pops when he applies modulation and I wonder if this is just the video or the beta stage or if it just will be like that in September?

The video seemed to has some gaps - did he say something about sound quality, except that it should be better than before?
mt3
I didn't note auditory blips in the video.

I appended original post with a timeline for the video where various aspects of the Hertz Donut mk III were discussed.
starthief
Hmm.

It seems like the waveshaping section is improved quite a bit in the mk3...

But I prefer the more open and Buchla-esque architecture on the earlier models, and also the aliasing, noisiness and instability of the mk1/mk2 gear. So I guess I'll be keeping my HDmk2 smile
joey
looks and sounds amazing! can't wait to get my hands on one nanners
Leverkusen
mt3 wrote:
I didn't note auditory blips in the video.

I appended original post with a timeline for the video where various aspects of the Hertz Donut mk III were discussed.

When rewatching I found it less prominent either, only a bit in the waveshaper part. So maybe it was just my internet.

A few questions came to my mind that have not been posted by the audience of the presentation:

To me FM really comes to life with interesting modulation. it would be great if the CV inputs could be freely assignable to more than one destination, maybe with internal control over the amount, via the settings menu. So that envelopes or LFO can shape the sound over time in interesting ways.

As I understand it, the mod matrix is switchable between the both modulation oscillators. Will it be possible to apply CV to the modulation amount for both modulators regardless to which one the matrix is switched at a moment? As in patching one envelope to the modulation amount of Mod A to the Carrier and one to the modulation amount of Mod B to Mod A?

Is there CV control over the pitch of the modulation oscillators and will it be possible to switch the fixed ratio quantization off for them? Do they have individual audio outputs? The signal flow on the chart looks as if they can be routed to the output in parallel to the main oscillator, right?
mt3
starthief wrote:
Hmm.

It seems like the waveshaping section is improved quite a bit in the mk3...

But I prefer the more open and Buchla-esque architecture on the earlier models, and also the aliasing, noisiness and instability of the mk1/mk2 gear. So I guess I'll be keeping my HDmk2 smile

Agreed.
But as a completionist, as well as filling another part of the pallette involving higher fidelity, plus a different paradigm (maybe?) toward FM, plus the "preset preset system", I won't hesitate on this acquisition.

I thought the PH mk III would be unnecessary and excessive, but the sonic improvements justified any overlap.
Stability and instability racked adjacent to each other.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> The Harvestman  
Page 1 of 1