MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Coming from SOMA Labs The Ether
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Coming from SOMA Labs The Ether
RickKleffel
I noticed a bit on the SOMA Facebook page; in the carousel of product photos, a black space would appear with the words THE ETHER COMING SOON...sounded like a new product, so I asked.... They confirmed that they are on a path like no other!

Rick Kleffel‎ to SOMA Laboratory

OK, ladies and gents, in the world of SOMA, what pray tell, is "THE ETHER"? And more importantly, when do you start the queue?

Comments
SOMA Laboratory

SOMA Laboratory Ether - special device to hear magnetic fields around, from Hz to GHz and working not only some cm to the magnetic field but can be used in the city for example ( we have made amazing tests in subway during travel, or in the bus on the street, where the lamps across the street made the melody... really interesting for field recording/ sampling/looping).

If you know maybe Elektrosluch or Elektrousi, this is the direction but more advanced... the production will start very soon, hope the first Ethers will be available in... September?

Rick Kleffel I just sent my email to get in the queue! Back in the day, used to love cell phone scanning. You would alas, likely believe the things I heard people szy during the LA riots of 91, was it?

Rick Kleffel
Rick Kleffel I just realized that this is the first commercially available PKMeter!

SOMA Laboratory
SOMA Laboratory do you remember? a few years ago a lot of people in various parts of the world left their homes and ran around the streets looking for Pokemon. I hope that soon we will see a lot of people looking for magnetic fields in the strangest places, not only musicians, but people interested in sounds, recording in the field, creating their music without being a musician, but certainly not only echoes of sounds from the surrounding world, but also the creator...
meska
hmmm..... hyper

like this idea need too see more !
Synth Con Meo
Sounds very interesting. Kind of like a cousin of some sort to the Midisprout. I wonder what the price is going to be?
Easterner
On a small scale you can use an induction coil microphone (similar to a guitar pickup) to pick up electromagnetic fields, it’s great to record this as it picks up what’s emanating from power supplies, tv screens, telephones, hard drives, etc for clicks glitchy noisy microbeats and drones.

The induction coil mic needs to be pretty close to pick these up though! I wonder to what extent the Soma project allows you to pick up a wider spectrum and over some distance?
RickKleffel

Priezor is an open-source passive magnetic antenna for electromagnetic listening. It is very sensitive and capable of capturing faint atmospheric events in VLF radio bands. Compared to regular Elektrosluch, it is less directional and focused, and therefore more useful in recording ambient electromagnetic fields, where the overall "sound of the place" is desired.

Perhaps like this...?
starthief
Easterner wrote:
On a small scale you can use an induction coil microphone (similar to a guitar pickup) to pick up electromagnetic fields, it’s great to record this as it picks up what’s emanating from power supplies, tv screens, telephones, hard drives, etc for clicks glitchy noisy microbeats and drones.

The induction coil mic needs to be pretty close to pick these up though! I wonder to what extent the Soma project allows you to pick up a wider spectrum and over some distance?

Magnetic field strength has a pretty wide dynamic range and you won't really know until you stick a transducer in it. So anything sensitive better have some sort of limiter / gain control.

I've got a really basic induction coil "mic" and it mostly needs a huge gain boost, but close to some devices it does put out a pretty strong signal which falls off rapidly with distance.
Pugilistas
Vlad has definitely been touched by the Infinite!

Another really interesting approach, can't wait to hear more about it.
phisynth
it's available now :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdiGn0LPMPs
https://somasynths.com/ether/
Tumulishroomaroom
Really cool; quite tempted to get one.
EPTC
So immediately intrigued and excited about this. Sent in a quick yes to get on the list.
tau_seti
Disappointing.

I don't see how this isn't a copy of the elektrosluch or preizor. Just watch the video at Soma. It's the same thing! Jonas Gruška does great work and to present this as someone new, I just don't know …

https://store.lom.audio/products/elektrosluch-3?variant=4542168268832
EPTC
tau_seti wrote:
I don't see how this isn't a copy of the elektrosluch or preizor.

Damn - That stuff looks cool as hell, too! - FWIW, Vlad mentioned he's been working on his design for six years. Maybe like minds detect electro transmitting sound alike?
tau_seti
EPTC wrote:
Vlad mentioned he's been working on his design for six years. Maybe like minds detect electro transmitting sound alike?

Elektrosluch was available in 2012, maybe earlier. It's as far as the Wayback Machine went for me.
EPTC
Ah - cool - I appreciate that. I like the look of both!

Perhaps this is still a unique design, though. From SOMA's description:

Quote:
ETHER has both magnetic and electric components for sensing radiation. For the magnetic component, it has a built-in magnetic antenna, like the ones used in old long-wave radios. The antenna has maximum sensitivity on ETHER’s axis. By changing the orientation, angle and position of ETHER, you will change the sound. For the electric component, it has antennas printed on the PCB and the special input pin placed on the anterior surface.

Certainly doesn't look cosmetically similar in terms of housing.
tau_seti
Yes, interesting although it really seemed the same on the video.
arseniqua
Vlad actually replied about comparison to Electrosluch:

Quote:
ETHER is not just an inductive sniffer as some projects that you can easily find in the net. A simple low-frequency inductive sniffer will be silent in most places that full of sounds in the video. Such devices have to be placed close to the emitting device and will not work on a street. Such devices have just a coil and a low-frequency amplifier. In compare, ETHER has the regenerating circuit and the demodulator, so it's a real radio waves receiver, not just an amplifier of low-frequency magnetic fields. However, ETHER can perceive the low-frequency magnetic fields as well. But, honestly, if you would like to scan devices in close proximity (0-20 centimetres), such devices as Elektrosluch will work cleaner and more focused due to the narrow bend and lower sensitivity. ETHER designed to be first of all a part of your walks in a city and may sound even in a forest or a seashore (I have such experience). While Elektrosluch designed first of all for using over a table full of gear. Also, ETHER can perceive the electric component of the radiation as well, captures radiation that is far much above the audio range and much more sensitive. In this way, it has different design, functions and implementation than a simple inductive sniffer though in some cases their functions crossed.
[/quote]
Panason
Quote:
can perceive the electric component of the radiation as well, captures radiation that is far much above the audio range and much more sensitive.

hmmm.....
wvrm
Intriguing! I already have a LOM Priezor, will be interesting to compare the two.
calaveras
I've always used one of those induction mics for recording phone conversations. Or when I was younger and smarter, I jury rigged an antenna with an adjustable load. That was a looong time ago so I do not recall the details. I was into pirate radio for a while and was researching how to make a less obvious, less directional antenna so the FCC couldn't bust me as easily. (I never got that part figured out) But I did kind of connect the dots to make a small antenna which could be tuned quite broadly.

You can also just wrap wire around nearly anything and make an inductor. To me the fun part of experimental music/sound is getting your hands dirty building stuff. But I suppose companies like Crank Sturgeon are there for a reason.
Infinity Curve
tau_seti wrote:
Disappointing.

I don't see how this isn't a copy of the elektrosluch or preizor. Just watch the video at Soma. It's the same thing! Jonas Gruška does great work and to present this as someone new, I just don't know …

https://store.lom.audio/products/elektrosluch-3?variant=4542168268832

also the Micro Research Detektor thumbs up

I have the Detektor already, but I just emailed Soma about one of these, looks and sounds really promising thumbs up
Unborn Gore
This thing looks about as disappointing as Monica Bellucci.
beelsebub
wvrm wrote:
Intriguing! I already have a LOM Priezor, will be interesting to compare the two.

I'm also interested how these differ from each other.

Is the Priezor useless without an expensive preamp you have to carry around to boost the signal? Mainly I was thinking about recording power transformers, power lines and such.

Also the tip in ETHER which can make objects external antennas seems like an interesting feature.
wvrm
beelsebub wrote:
Is the Priezor useless without an expensive preamp you have to carry around to boost the signal? Mainly I was thinking about recording power transformers, power lines and such.

You need a preamp to use the Priezor while the Ether can be used stand-alone. Better quality preamp naturally means lower noise floor and thus better results, but a Zoom, Olympus, Sony etc. handheld recorder should be fine.
kinkycables
Sounds awesome. Just in time for the Ghostbusters reboot!
motorhead412
this is def going on my list of crap to buy. eager to see what i can pick up with this in the remote wilderness
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2